Using GPS cost money?

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
idan_estee

Using GPS cost money?

Postby idan_estee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:03 pm

When I use my GPS on my handphone does my digi charge me for usage?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Using GPS cost money?

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:05 pm

idan_estee wrote:When I use my GPS on my handphone does my digi charge me for usage?

For AGPS ( Assisted GPS ), yes it cost airtime for data charges, for Garmin Mobile XT, it does not cost you airtime but you have to buy the Garmin software, though the maps from here are free.

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:16 pm

silverbeauty wrote:for Garmin Mobile XT, it does not cost you airtime but you have to buy the Garmin software

In addition, Garmin Mobile XT is free if we use Garmin GPS 10x receiver.

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:17 pm

silverbeauty wrote:For AGPS ( Assisted GPS ), yes it cost airtime for data charges

Btw, bro silverbeauty, do you know how do we know whether our phones have the assisted GPS feature? How to enable/disable the AGPS feature from Garmin Mobile XT? I can't seem to find the option.

idan_estee

Postby idan_estee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:18 pm

silverbeauty wrote:For AGPS ( Assisted GPS ), yes it cost airtime for data charges, for Garmin Mobile XT, it does not cost you airtime but you have to buy the Garmin software, though the maps from here are free.

I have Garmin Mobile XT, how do I know Im using AGPS or normal GPS? I think it might have been using AGPS since my bill came back 250 bux in the span of 1 week. Ive been using my GPS constantly overseas ](*,)

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:29 pm

idan_estee wrote:I have Garmin Mobile XT, how do I know Im using AGPS or normal GPS? I think it might have been using AGPS since my bill came back 250 bux in the span of 1 week. Ive been using my GPS constantly overseas

GarminXT uses GPS "real satellite".. mean its free of charge
aGPS is used by default embeded software in your heandphone such as SE G502,700 etc.
aGPS using the GPRS,EDGE or HSDPA link of operator, so its charge of your 3G or prepaid.
aGPS only give the BTS's location data, so you can using the google maps or earth in your handphone as GPS navigation.
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

idan_estee

Postby idan_estee » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:31 pm

then how come my bill came up so high? is there a setting im not aware of?

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:42 pm

idan_estee wrote:then how come my bill came up so high? is there a setting im not aware of?

you should "print detail bill" for checked to your operator office to make sure using GPS or aGPS.

To make sure u r using real gps:
- you must have "atlas chips" in your hp (internally). chek it.

If you have "external" GPS that is connected in your handphone:
- The Atlas chips mean you r using Satellite. its free of charge.
- external GPS sold as accessories for normal hp that's not including atlas chip.
but make sure set your garminXT using this external device, not using aGPS.

Inggo
Contributor

Postby Inggo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:51 pm

idan_estee wrote:I have Garmin Mobile XT, how do I know Im using AGPS or normal GPS? I think it might have been using AGPS since my bill came back 250 bux in the span of 1 week. Ive been using my GPS constantly overseas ](*,)

Maybe its not from aGPS but its roaming charge, chek to your operator to make it sure..
better using the Real GPS such PDA or any handphone thats using ATLAS chips included in device.
or you can buy dedicated GPS such as Garmin, Papago ..etc (or cheap "made by china" gps one :mrgreen: )

Inggo
Contributor

Postby Inggo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Inggo wrote:To make sure u r using real gps:
- you must have "atlas chips" in your hp (internally). chek it.

If you have "external" GPS that is connected in your handphone:
- The Atlas chips mean you r using Satellite. its free of charge.
- external GPS sold as accessories for normal hp that's not including atlas chip.
but make sure set your garminXT using this external device, not using aGPS.

See this sample at :
http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/blog/tag/external-gps/

Return to “Newbie Lounge”