Using GPS cost money?

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silklee

Re: Using GPS cost money?

Postby silklee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 pm

A further check with Nokia revealed that to use the turn by turn navigation feature on the phone, I have to use A-GPS.

Using GPS is just like using a street directory, ie just having the map.
:-k :-?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Silklee, obviously Nokia is referring to its own navigation software, the Nokia Map. If you want to use Malfreemaps map, you need to purchase and install Garmin Mobile XT (GMXT) in Nokia, and there is no such charges when using GMXT.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:15 am

silklee wrote:A further check with Nokia revealed that to use the turn by turn navigation feature on the phone, I have to use A-GPS.

I can relate to your predicament where age coupled with gizmos are all thrown into one shopping basket.... :ko:

My advise then as a result, the GSM (cell-plhone if you will) unit, regardless of brand name, is best suited to do the yakky-yak mode for communication, perhaps abit more with sms and the likes! So, stop short on just that and consider no further and the unit may last yr lifetime and not make you become a trendsetter or wannabe with "he has that? So must I and quickly, MUST GO GET IT or add it on my next shopping list too!!!" :frus: ](*,)

Better purchase a stand alone GPS unit, make it a Garmin and you can enjoy as much FREE maps from MFM as you so wish for Spore or MY or someday, a good part of Asia too. :-$ :thumbsup:

Over here, IPhone 3G owners can now buy a full package from TomTom at 70 Euros and install but no one's is squeaking about the costly involvement that kicks in from thereon... heheh. :evil:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor

Postby jans_wkh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:19 am

dvpro wrote:Hi Silklee, obviously Nokia is referring to its own navigation software, the Nokia Map. If you want to use Malfreemaps map, you need to purchase and install Garmin Mobile XT (GMXT) in Nokia, and there is no such charges when using GMXT.

Nevertheless, if you have AGPS enable, whether you are using Nokia Maps or GMXT, there will be some minor data charges involved. AGPS helps you to have a quicker lock-on during start-up. If we disable the AGPS, then there will be no such charges when using GMXT. Hope this helps. :D

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:34 am

jans_wkh wrote:If we disable the AGPS, then there will be no such charges when using GMXT. Hope this helps. :D

You must've missed previous discussions in previous pages. O:)
dvpro wrote:
silklee wrote:2. Usage of AGPS invokes GPRS.
Yes

But you have the option to enable or disable this feature.

dvpro wrote:
silklee wrote:4. There are no other charges ie usage of the navigator found in the phone.
Roaming also is chargable ....
silklee wrote:Just to 2x sure in case I get a shock when I see the bill.
There will be no such charges if I use it in my home country?

Correct, no charges at all, as long as AGPS is disabled.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor

Postby jans_wkh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:44 am

dvpro wrote:You must've missed previous discussions in previous pages. O:)

As always, the great dvpro!! :prayer: :prayer: :mrgreen:

mfm88

Postby mfm88 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 am

silklee wrote:A further check with Nokia revealed that to use the turn by turn navigation feature on the phone, I have to use A-GPS.

Hi bro silklee,
most singtel (or even nokia) staff I spoke to only explain how to use their phone GPS with nokia software and map, they dont tell/know about other ways.They use telco's data service to get location hence chargeable whenever you use.

Here we recommend using Garmin XT software, which uses free satellite reception to get location and navigate. There is a one time charge for software but no further charge on usage, even if you are overseas.

Both ways need own map, but MFM map is much better than Nokia map. Maps could be pre-loaded, thus no cost issue.

A-GPS is an extra feature to aid the free GPS satellite receiver in the phone.
Enabling A-GPS helps to get your position, incur minor charge locally but costly if use abroad.

Just to clear your doubts,
Your 1st sentence refers to their way of getting your location thru telco's data and 2nd is about a preloaded map if without dynamic location.
心远地自偏,心静自然凉

Return to “Newbie Lounge”