What a newbie needs to know: FAQ

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ian_lbt86

Re: What newbie need to know? FAQ

Postby ian_lbt86 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Got. i stand for almost 5 minutes and even walk another 6 minutes to food court nearby under the sun. Also no improvement. Very hard to get signal.

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:27 pm

ian_lbt86 wrote:Got. i stand for almost 5 minutes and even walk another 6 minutes to food court nearby under the sun. Also no improvement. Very hard to get signal.

You could try to enable the A-GPS to further speed up the first sat lock. The first sat lock usually only take about 5 minutes to get lock, the rest of the sat lock is only a couple of second or a minutes.

edllina

Re: Tracklogs & POIs for Negeri Sembilan (Q1, Q2 & Q3 2010)

Postby edllina » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:06 pm

sorry for interrupt... format *.gdb can use for papago or not?

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Re: Tracklogs & POIs for Negeri Sembilan (Q1, Q2 & Q3 2010)

Postby Inggo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:49 pm

edllina wrote:sorry for interrupt... format *.gdb can use for papago or not?

actually *.gdb is garmin mapsource file data... papago using different binaries format,
then papago *.bin tracklog & poi data can convert to *.gdb to edited in mapsource.

papago cannot display *.bin tracklog in it's self device as routing path, but you must view in google earth or mapsource.
then, you can convert papago binaries tracklog data directly in it's device to *.kml to view your tracklog in google earth at computer.. or convert *.bin to *.gdb file to edited in mapsource.

hope helps.. :D
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

buzzlie

Postby buzzlie » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi all,

A question from me ... I'm using Garmin XT thru my mobile, Nokia E72. Previously I got the map from here and just copy & paste into my Nokia.

May I know what's the usage of Mapsource? Do I really need it in my PC?

hornet
Regional Mapper

Postby hornet » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:46 pm

buzzlie wrote:Hi all,

A question from me ... I'm using Garmin XT thru my mobile, Nokia E72. Previously I got the map from here and just copy & paste into my Nokia.

May I know what's the usage of Mapsource? Do I really need it in my PC?

Hi buzzlie,

Just answered, pls refer at page no. 1 item no.5 & 6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cruxader

Postby cruxader » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:21 pm

What is the best way to manage Waypoints/favorites/POIs?

I have accumulated a bunch of WP on my nuvi 370.
I wanted to clean them up.
I can clean them up in either MapSource or some other online GPX editor.
But after the clean up how to re-load properly back to the nuvi?

Also, though I have downloaded 1 copy to Mapsource, since then my GPS have added some more WPs.
How can I merge them?

When I select transfer to GPS, it is transferred but it appears to create duplicates in the GPS. After a transfer to the GPS, I clear my Mapsource & then transfer from the nuvi, I get some doubled copies.

If I download from nuvi with some data in Mapsource already, it asks me about overwriting but still creates duplicates no matter what I do!

I need some advice from some sifu!

.ps I also tried POI Manager Online from http://garmin.gps-data-team.com/edit/po ... -17_18.php and created a new gpx file. I managed to make my nuvi load this file (using temp.gpx & hard reset method) but the coordinates of all the WP are 0,0!
Argh!!!!!

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:55 pm

I use TurboCCC's Extra POI Editor (freeware), currently at V4.85. It also uses Google Maps to show where your POIs are. Duplicated POIs are easily handled by this neat utility. Edited POIs can be easily sent back into your 'Favorites' in your PND. Check it out. :thumbsup:
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

cruxader

Postby cruxader » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Downloaded & tested Extra POI Editor.
Best so far!

Still a bit kludgy....

I can Open favorites directly from my nuvi 370.
When I save it back:
1. It saves it as an EPE.gpx file.
The nuvi loads (adds) this to the existing favorites upon power-up.
2. This mechanism means that it is NOT POSSIBLE to DELETE favorites!
At least the help file explains this.
3. Unfortunately, the edited favorites are also a bit of a hit & miss affair.
Sometimes they show up nicely.
Most other times, I get an additional favorite with the original still there.
4. I suppose this is really the fault of Garmin's half-assed way of managing favorites!
Unless my 370 is a really BAD case.

Looks like the only way is to:
1. Open the favorites from the GPS.
2. Edit (incl delete) everything in a marathon session.
3. Save as current.gpx file.
4. Copy current.gpx file to \Garmin as temp.gpx
5. Force a hard reset to make the GPS reload all favorites!
6. A really yucky way!

Is there a better solution?

Looks like I need to investigate moving most of my favorites into POIs (gpi files).
At least Garmin allows you to have multiple GPIs.
Only problem then is that POI do not show up in a favorite search!

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 pm

I manage my waypoints from the 205Wand R5800 using Extra POI Editor and PPGPOITool. This way I can consolidate my 2 different databases into one common file, then use PPGPOITool to convert it back for the Papago.

You can rename the 'Current.gpx' to 'SomethingElse.gpx', then rename the 'EPE.gpx' to 'Current.gpx'. It should take care of the EPE file. Don't need to hard Reset at all.

Only problem then is that POI do not show up in a favorite search!
BTW, the Custom POIs are in GPI format. You can search for them by 'Go Where' >> 'Extras' >> 'Custom POIs' >> 'All Categories' (or whatever cat.) OR <Spell>.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

Return to “Newbie Lounge”