Anyway to blacklist GPS device?

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
gpsnerd
Contributor

Anyway to blacklist GPS device?

Postby gpsnerd » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:06 am

if its stolen or missing ?
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Anyway to blacklist GPS device?

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:14 am

IMHO it is difficult to do so as it is a commodity product that is not dependable on a service provider to function. It will be a logistic nightmare to track it regionally / globally and then .... whose responsibility does this function fall to ?

gpsnerd
Contributor

Postby gpsnerd » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:50 pm

guess its not safe to leave your gps device from public eye view in the vehicle, it may attract attention and maybe a smashed windscreen then
User of 205 / 205W

wwloon
Valued Contributor

Postby wwloon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:55 pm

gpsnerd wrote:guess its not safe to leave your gps device from public eye view in the vehicle, it may attract attention and maybe a smashed windscreen then

If I remember correctly, there is a feature in our Garmin GPS units which prompts you for a password everytime you turn it on. If someone nicks your unit, unless he knows the password, he should be unable to use it.

I haven't tried this feature before, cos it's too mah fan. Nor do I know whether it can be overcome... :mrgreen:

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 pm

wwloon wrote:
gpsnerd wrote:guess its not safe to leave your gps device from public eye view in the vehicle, it may attract attention and maybe a smashed windscreen then

If I remember correctly, there is a feature in our Garmin GPS units which prompts you for a password everytime you turn it on. If someone nicks your unit, unless he knows the password, he should be unable to use it.

I haven't tried this feature before, cos it's too mah fan. Nor do I know whether it can be overcome... :mrgreen:

Bro wwloon, that feature is the Garmin Lock security feature. You can find it in

MainMenu - Tools - Settings - Security - Garmin lock

To set this feature, you must go to a particular location known only to you ( not your home, not your office, not your girlfriend home or some place known by others that your frequent ). Once there, you enable the Garmin Lock feature and set a 4 letter numeric password. Once set, every-time you power your Nuvi up, it will ask you to key in this numerical number which failing to do so the nuvi will not boot up to Main Menu. Should you forget the password, you can go to that "secret" location and the Nuvi automatically unlocks itself for you to change the password.

If someone steals the Nuvi, only way is to go to Garmin to have it unlock or try your luck .....

singawon
Valued Contributor

Postby singawon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:32 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Bro wwloon, that feature is the Garmin Lock security feature. You can find it in

To set this feature, you must go to a particular location known only to you ( not your home, not your office, not your girlfriend home or some place known by others that your frequent ). Once there, you enable the Garmin Lock feature and set a 4 letter numeric password. Once set, every-time you power your Nuvi up, it will ask you to key in this numerical number which failing to do so the nuvi will not boot up to Main Menu. Should you forget the password, you can go to that "secret" location and the Nuvi automatically unlocks itself for you to change the password.

If someone steals the Nuvi, only way is to go to Garmin to have it unlock or try your luck .....

Try your mistress place, only known by you... :lol: and good excuses to forget the password... :lol:
诸恶莫作 众善奉行 自净其意 是诸佛教

gpsnerd
Contributor

Postby gpsnerd » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:22 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
wwloon wrote:

Bro wwloon, that feature is the Garmin Lock security feature. You can find it in

cool, unless its activated, else it can still be used.

also the secret location function is pretty cool.
but what if u are kind of off from the secret location? will it still unlock?
User of 205 / 205W

cynide
Contributor

Postby cynide » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Read abt dis features in d manual. Tried d features b4 where u need satellite 2 activate ur secret location. Say if u 4 get ur password, jus go 2 d secret location n wen satelite is available, d device will turn on by itself without u need 2 key in d password. D device will not automatically on if u r not @ ur secret location which means u still hav 2 key in yr 4 digit password :mrgreen: D manual also indicate dat if u 4 get ur password, u hav 2 bring it 2 Garnin 2 hav d password reset but I tink dis features hav not been try yet coz if some1 found it n brings it 2 Garmin, u hav 2 produce d receipt or warranty card 2 hav d device password reset. If not, I guess u hav 2 buy a new 1. :$gone: Yet again how many of u activate d password which some find it troublesome everytime u turn it on, u hav 2 key in d password. :mrgreen:
Last edited by cynide on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:41 pm

gpsnerd wrote:cool, unless its activated, else it can still be used.

IMHO, there is no documented distance from which your unit will unlock when you are in the location where it was programmed. But a rule of thumb is POI + accuracy of GPS at time of reaching security location

The other thing this security feature is only a minor deterrent. If a thief is determined, it is only 9999 combination, which shouldn't take long to figure it out.

cynide
Contributor

Postby cynide » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:54 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
gpsnerd wrote:cool, unless its activated, else it can still be used.

IMHO, there is no documented distance from which your unit will unlock when you are in the location where it was programmed. But a rule of thumb is POI + accuracy of GPS at time of reaching security location

The other thing this security feature is only a minor deterrent. If a thief is determined, it is only 9999 combination, which shouldn't take long to figure it out.

Bro silverbeauty i always saw u indicate IMHO, so wat is d long term 4 dat meaning :-? Like now i know wat BH means (better half rite?). At first i was blurr 2. So wat is IMHO means?

Return to “Newbie Lounge”