How do I do a tracklog if I am in a tunnel?

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Singapore. Mapper: OngCC

Moderators: Chuah, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ARMOR1

How do I do a tracklog if I am in a tunnel?

Postby ARMOR1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 am

As I send my wife to work in Beach Road from AYE, I might be going through the Marina Coastal Expressway to take a look before the new year and intend to tracklog my drive. What do I do if I go into the 3.6 km tunnel in MCE and lose the satellite connection? Anyway out of this?

OngCC
Senior Mapper

Re: How do I do a tracklog if I am in a tunnel?

Postby OngCC » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:05 pm

ARMOR1 wrote:As I send my wife to work in Beach Road from AYE, I might be going through the Marina Coastal Expressway to take a look before the new year and intend to tracklog my drive. What do I do if I go into the 3.6 km tunnel in MCE and lose the satellite connection? Anyway out of this?

There is no way to track in the tunnel, but please help to track the external part & all the exists. :tq:
Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs.
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11630

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:40 am

OngCC wrote:There is no way to track in the tunnel, but please help to track the external part & all the exists. :tq:

Bro OngCC is right, there is no way to receive satellite signals while in a tunnel and it may not be so easy for you to record the tracklog of the exit if you have lost satellite lock while in the tunnel and only re-established lock say 500m after the exit.

There is a way to prevent the loss of satellite signals while in the tunnel but I am not sure if that is coded into the MFM maps.
Lean not on your own understanding

ARMOR1

Postby ARMOR1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:08 am

JasonLee wrote:
OngCC wrote:There is no way to track in the tunnel, but please help to track the external part & all the exists. :tq:

Bro OngCC is right, there is no way to receive satellite signals while in a tunnel and it may not be so easy for you to record the tracklog of the exit if you have lost satellite lock while in the tunnel and only re-established lock say 500m after the exit.

There is a way to prevent the loss of satellite signals while in the tunnel but I am not sure if that is coded into the MFM maps.

Or on "dead reckoning" where the GPS device tries to extrapolate car movement based upon a previously determined position and advancing that position based upon known or estimated speeds over elapsed time?

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:17 am

ARMOR1 wrote:Or on "dead reckoning" where the GPS device tries to extrapolate car movement based upon a previously determined position and advancing that position based upon known or estimated speeds over elapsed time?

Dear Bro ARMOR1,

You are much more knowledgeable than most.

Dead reckoning is only reliable if the tunnel is straight but what if the tunnel is a curve or worse - an S shape?

user66

Postby user66 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:47 am

need to use old skool methods with bearing and distance

ARMOR1

Postby ARMOR1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:36 pm

JasonLee wrote:
ARMOR1 wrote:Or on "dead reckoning" where the GPS device tries to extrapolate car movement based upon a previously determined position and advancing that position based upon known or estimated speeds over elapsed time?

Dear Bro ARMOR1,

You are much more knowledgeable than most.

Dead reckoning is only reliable if the tunnel is straight but what if the tunnel is a curve or worse - an S shape?

No lah, just try to read up when I have doubt. Thought there was a workaround because from my experience in Brisbane and Perth, the GPS worked in the tunnels...or was that also dead reckoning because the GPS was not cut off and no lost of satellite message from the device when I drove for some distance in the tunnels??.

ace
Valued Contributor

Postby ace » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Being able to use the GPS in the tunnel of KPE & CTE has been around for a couple of years already if you used the City Navigator or Garmin generated maps (unless I'm blabbering here.. :mrgreen: ).

To do a fresh track of a newly opened tunnel like the MCE...hmm...first, you have to accept OngCC statement. That is, you can't track in a tunnel. No satellite signals, no logs, no track. And therefore no talk. :lol:

I guess the mapper will either have to mask the tunnel layout from LTA onto our map or find a way to draw it in without available tracks.

Once the MCE is drawn into the map, and you are travelling into the MCE, the Garmin software will then probably be able to extrapolate where your are going base on your routing, which is a simulated satellite log. In other words, for this so called dead reckoning to work, the road must be drawn already in the map.

Maybe this article can help...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... 57/?page=1

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:31 pm

ace wrote:Being able to use the GPS in the tunnel of KPE & CTE has been around for a couple of years already if you used the City Navigator or Garmin generated maps (unless I'm blabbering here.. :mrgreen: ).

To do a fresh track of a newly opened tunnel like the MCE...hmm...first, you have to accept OngCC statement. That is, you can't track in a tunnel. No satellite signals, no logs, no track. And therefore no talk. :lol:

I guess the mapper will either have to mask the tunnel layout from LTA onto our map or find a way to draw it in without available tracks.

Once the MCE is drawn into the map, and you are travelling into the MCE, the Garmin software will then probably be able to extrapolate where your are going base on your routing, which is a simulated satellite log. In other words, for this so called dead reckoning to work, the road must be drawn already in the map.

Maybe this article can help...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... 57/?page=1

Bro Ace is quite right in that the tunnel must first be drawn into the map and then coded so that you do not lose your signal. I know Garmin's compiler can do that but not sure if cgpsMapper can do likewise.

One way to try is to enter the tunnel in both directions and use a very sensitive handheld to record the track. Hopefully the satellite signal can be held long enough for the 2 tracks to join. At least you will have both entrances correctly recorded.

ARMOR1

Postby ARMOR1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Okay, I have uploaded 5 .gpx files tracking my drive along the MCE. Hope they will be of some help in mapping the MCE. As I do not know what to do with the .gpx files, I have uploaded the raw tracklogs.

Done! 306 - OngCC

Return to “Singapore Map Feedback”