Multiple, duplicate road names

Tracklog, POI and error feedback for Singapore. Mapper: OngCC

Moderators: Chuah, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our maps
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
westwoodyee

Multiple, duplicate road names

Postby westwoodyee » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:06 pm

When using my Garmin, I realised that an address search would yield multiple entries for the same road name eg searching for Bendemeer Road would yield two or more results. I believe they refer to different sections of the same road.

If so, then it will be misleading. If anyone were to choose the "wrong" Bendemeer Road (eg number 72 Bendemeer Road), Garmin would lead us to a part of Bendemeer Road of which building 72 does not exist.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Multiple, duplicate road names

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:22 pm

westwoodyee wrote:When using my Garmin, I realised that an address search would yield multiple entries for the same road name eg searching for Bendemeer Road would yield two or more results. I believe they refer to different sections of the same road.

If so, then it will be misleading. If anyone were to choose the "wrong" Bendemeer Road (eg number 72 Bendemeer Road), Garmin would lead us to a part of Bendemeer Road of which building 72 does not exist.

Consumer-grade GPS receivers are used in non-precision applications such as basic navigation that require less accurate positioning.

For precise spot on navigation in Singapore, use of postal code is the most accurate to house /building :-'

westwoodyee

Postby westwoodyee » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:58 pm

However, isn't this also a map content design issue ? The map should show only one continuous road for the same road name, rather than have two or more disjointed roads.

Singapore is a small country, unlike the US, where there is bound to be the same name being used for different roads in different cities. In this case, it's ok.

Can someone check whether there are disjointed roads in MFM ? Thanks.

gpsnerd
Contributor

Postby gpsnerd » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:15 pm

[/quote]

Consumer-grade GPS receivers are used in non-precision applications such as basic navigation that require less accurate positioning.

For precise spot on navigation in Singapore, use of postal code is the most accurate to house /building :-'[/quote]

does this applies for mfm garmin map data? all postal codes can be used for searching?
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

OngCC
Senior Mapper

Postby OngCC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 pm

westwoodyee wrote:However, isn't this also a map content design issue ? The map should show only one continuous road for the same road name, rather than have two or more disjointed roads.

Singapore is a small country, unlike the US, where there is bound to be the same name being used for different roads in different cities. In this case, it's ok.

Can someone check whether there are disjointed roads in MFM ? Thanks.

Due to some extra information needed to incorporate into certain stretch of the road, we have to split a road into multiple links. (Since we are not the professional cartographer, we can't confirm whether if this is the correct way of map making), If the navigation software can't recognize them as 1 road, we also can't do anything...
If there are 2 or more roads appear in a country but different states/cities, you will see them indexed under different cities.
Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs.
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11630

Return to “Singapore Map Feedback”