MFM & Garmin Collaboration

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
DarkNite

Re: MFM & Garmin Collaboration

Postby DarkNite » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm using it but many routes are not correct.
Example in Penang, It doesn't know that you can't drive from Jln Cantonment across to Sepoy Lines.
I'm still learning how to config it to use the toll roads in KL instead of using the minor roads with lots of traffic, traffic lights & speed bumps.
One thing I hate is there are no indication of traffic light or familiar business icons like Garmin XT.
Many times when I got lost in KL, I need to call to the local agent who gave direction like pass 3 traffic light then turn left ...pass 7Eleven or Guardian pharma... which are not indicated at all in the 2465. :(

leukmfm

Postby leukmfm » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:11 pm

OngCC wrote:Dear members,

We are pleased to announce that after many months of join development with Garmin Taiwan, MFM-Garmin NT map for Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei will be release on Garmin website soon. The current JCV pictures are from Garmin, we will work with Garmin to include our own JCV pictures in the near future.

The map will always be distributed for free. Thanks to all our mappers, contributors & members for the support!

:rox:

Thanks for the hard work!

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

DarkNite wrote:I'm using it but many routes are not correct.
Example in Penang, It doesn't know that you can't drive from Jln Cantonment across to Sepoy Lines.
I'm still learning how to config it to use the toll roads in KL instead of using the minor roads with lots of traffic, traffic lights & speed bumps.
One thing I hate is there are no indication of traffic light or familiar business icons like Garmin XT.
Many times when I got lost in KL, I need to call to the local agent who gave direction like pass 3 traffic light then turn left ...pass 7Eleven or Guardian pharma... which are not indicated at all in the 2465. :(

If you are using a GPS and still needs someone to give directions you need more "Training".... Drive around with it "In Familiar Places" to get use to the Voice and Graphic display for directions. It will sharpen your senses to guide you through... I don't think the Map/GPS is the problem... you just need to know what it is trying to tell you... Since the Map/GPS won't be changing its "attitude" any time soon hence it is beneficial that you work around it.... :mrgreen:

P/S: all the POIs can be found in our cGPSmapper compiled maps... buy a Nuvi 2xx series and you be able to see them. The newer models do not support this feature.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 pm

That's not true at all. I think you must have misinterpreted the GPS.

12573.png

DarkNite wrote:One thing I hate is there are no indication of traffic light or familiar business icons like Garmin XT.

You should be keeping your eyes on the road most of the time when driving, occasionally glancing at the PND as need be. The GPS is there just to give you turning guidance. If you think it's wrong you can choose to ignore its advice. It was never meant to be used in conjunction with directions given by people because people assume you are looking out for the actual traffic light or 7-Eleven, not some icon on a screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

DarkNite

Postby DarkNite » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:33 pm

tympg wrote:

That's not true at all. I think you must have misinterpreted the GPS.

DarkNite wrote:One thing I hate is there are no indication of traffic light or familiar business icons like Garmin XT.

You should be keeping your eyes on the road most of the time when driving, occasionally glancing at the PND as need be. The GPS is there just to give you turning guidance. If you think it's wrong you can choose to ignore its advice. It was never meant to be used in conjunction with directions given by people because people assume you are looking out for the actual traffic light or 7-Eleven, not some icon on a screen.

Many thanks for the respond. Very much appreciated the explanation. It is a whole new sux experience for me using the Garmin 2465. After using Garmin Mobile XT for 5 yrs.
... but on my 2465 it still tells me to drive across to Sepoy lines. :(
Will try and take a picture to show you when I drive that route again.

And it doesn't tells me to take the Jln Tunku Kudin under pass to Greenlane but to use the round about.
Sometimes when I'm in Raja Uda in Prai it will tells me to take the ferry which is very much time consuming rather than the Pg Bridge.
And Jln Gangsa is label as Lintang Gangsa.

Unfortunately, I didn't choose to ignore its advice. From IOI Puchong it was not able to guide me via the highways which is lot faster and less jam on Sunday early morning, to Wangsa Maju.
My Map is City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NY 2012.10 CN SGM NT 2012.10 ALL. << Is this the wrong map to use?

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Bro DarkNite,

Use this Map Malfreemaps 2012.20 No wonder you are having this problem.

DarkNite

Postby DarkNite » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:29 am

moeyhc wrote:Bro DarkNite,

Use this Map Malfreemaps 2012.20 No wonder you are having this problem.

Kamsiah! Downloading it. Will try it out today and let you guys know the outcome.

hellhole

Postby hellhole » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 am

hi guys..

can the map be used for nuvi 200W? i can get the unlock key.. but when i try to install, its says that there is not enough hhd space.. i do have a seperate sd card.. but i dun think it detect that. i know mine is a old model :)

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm

hellhole wrote:hi guys..

can the map be used for nuvi 200W? i can get the unlock key.. but when i try to install, its says that there is not enough hhd space.. i do have a seperate sd card.. but i dun think it detect that. i know mine is a old model :)

I don't think anyone will answer you here as your 200W may not qualify for the unlock code from Garmin.

Any Nuvi with insufficient main memory can use the SD card for map storage. Create a folder in the SD card and name it Garmin. Place the map inside this folder. For Nuvi 200W... the Filename must be Gmapsupp.img

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:04 pm

hellhole wrote:hi guys..

I have a 200W and it will work provided it is a local purchase model. Yes, there is not enough memory in the base GPS. Be careful not to delete the old data in there. Stuff it and you have a very high chance of getting a paper weight for a GPS. Always copy new maps into SD card. Remember this is old tech GPS so no super duper 128GBytes SD card for this machine! Basic 2GB off the mill ones will do. Make sure you create the proper directory. It is slow but work! Have fun.

Oh... sorry no junction view or lane assist lah! This is for the new GPS.

Return to “Community Hall”