Did MalFreeMaps Mappers copied Jerome Wee Singapore Maps?

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Re: Did MalFreeMaps Mappers copied Jerome Wee Singapore Maps?

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:28 am

deani77 wrote:But I think we must do check MFM Singapore map since Bro J already mentioned that he caught us copy his easter egg, that mean that thing cannot be found in the real world or submitted track by tracker, it just been created by mapper to protect his work... :-k

We will do what we should i.e. reworking doubtful areas. Just that. We can't be bothered with Jerome's preoccupation with eggs and eggs which we know nothing about :nutz:

deani77 wrote:Yes he can created it, other Jerome map user also can help to confirm if that easter egg was not there before... I'm not accusing but just give my own opinion and suggestion in this free world... as a free man... :mrgreen:

Appreciate if you guys who are familiar with GPSmapedit to help us identify any doubtful area :)

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 am

I cannot help but withhold my reply till now. Do we really know who made the first post? The write did not declare he/she is Bro J. We assume it is him. It can be some 'Stir Shit Stick' posting to test our respond.. For me hiding behind a Nick and making comments is not right. I believe Bro J has more integrity than this.

At MFM, we depend on the hard work of our mappers and members. Let's stick to this proven formula to make our maps better.... cheers and relax.... have a great weekend.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:52 am

moeyhc wrote:I cannot help but withhold my reply till now. Do we really know who made the first post? The write did not declare he/she is Bro J. We assume it is him. It can be some 'Stir Shit Stick' posting to test our respond.. For me hiding behind a Nick and making comments is not right. I believe Bro J has more integrity than this. *snip.....

Bro moey, whether Jerome or 'Stir Shit Stick' posted the copyright issue in MFM is immateria as Jerome himself posted this accusation in his web site for all to read as well. :fire:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:20 am

Unpleasant though this accusation is, we must objectively review our map to ensure that the accusation has no legs to stand.

I am also one of the forummers who supply the same contribution to both MFM and MSM. My intention is to see that should my contributions have merit that both maps will have them and benefit all who use the maps be it MSM or MFM. I cannot claim ownership over my contributions which is just raw data similar to news of some happening. No one can claim ownership of news just because he reported it to the newspapers but the journalist who writes up the news article using the contributed news info can claim copyright to his write-up. I believe the same principle applies to maps. The mappers can claim copyright to their drawings even though they used data supplied by members. If the supplied data is wrong and the same mistake appears in both maps then no mapper can be guilty of copying the other because both of them used the same supplied wrong data. However if one mapper intentionally or otherwise, created a drawing that deviated from the supplied data which means it is a unique work of this mapper, then should it appear in another map, he has justification to claim plagiarism.

For this reason, we need to carefully audit our maps against supplied data. If they were done on the basis of supplied data, then there is nothing to worry about.
Lean not on your own understanding

FauSham
Location: Kelantan [Legend Cx / Nuvi 200(Damage) / Nuvi 760 / Nuvi 265W(New)]

Postby FauSham » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 pm

JasonLee wrote:For this reason, we need to carefully audit our maps against supplied data. If they were done on the basis of supplied data, then there is nothing to worry about.

I agree with u, Jason. We must sometime check our sources data but.. how to check? using what sources?
:D How about our MFM data? Being copied to other sources........? Who want to check?
http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1297

What is plagiarism of map?
1. We send our contribution map to other sources and send it back in MFM is plagiarism?
2. Re-mapping area and look-like other sources is plagiarism? Did u redraw any land map differences with real land area?
3. Did if we do same method, same system, same software and it look-like same each other is plagiarism?
4. Did we called it plagiarism of map if, same contributor distribute same sources anywhere and involve to produce same map for same model of GPS brand or what we call "Garmin Map" ? It's plagiarism?

But.....
What should we call to this?
1. Sell contribution map to other sources without permission? Did He do contributor plagiarism?
2. Feel something as their own thing from everyone thing, what we should call?
3. We easily do contribution but we have some difficulties to get back our contribution in other form, what shoild we call?

So..... kesimpulan....
:rox:
.......and more rock ahead will knock-knock us if didn't do the right thing.......
:D

To all contributor and mapper.......... we do :good: in past, now and tomorrow.....
FauSham @ Malaysia & Singapore Free Maps - MalFreeMaps
AMATEUR RADIO CALLSIGN: 9W2WFN

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:25 pm

J's & M'f Sg map quite a lot different ??
What's wrong :-?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muiszush

Postby muiszush » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Why are we so stirred up with just a mere posting? There has been ranting all over the internet about everything. The world isn't perfect. Nothing can be done if you are out to please everyone. He posted in his site, that's his right because he paid for it but to claim the streets of Singapore his own then I say it's wrong. His maps were made from MSM contributions. His data was a mere compilation of information readily available. Nothing new. So why get so worked up? The started of this thread hasn't shown up for a double posting after 4 pages of replies. All this is nothing but propaganda. Childish and immaturity at its highest level being dished out.

Jerome's maps are commercialized and sold for USD20 :$$: hence did any of that money given back to contributors. I say let him whine :cry: all he wants about MFM being the same, anyhow the fact is that the streets and buildings are being map will be exact regardless of who puts it on paper. So who's copying who? What about the person who drew the maps of Singapore before Jerome was born? Sure bang balls ](*,) if he knows. Jerome has Easter eggs, so he better keep it all in a basket cause MFM's Easter bunny is here looking for it. :lol: If Jerome purposely maps phantom roads then I would say that the integrity of the maps and the intention of selling is nothing but rip off. Should be classified as unreliable and useless as fundamentally it contradicts it's initially purpose.

There's a new player in town :rox: and whatever lies in Malaysia and Singapore is sure to be mapped eventually, thoroughly and in detail. :peace: A claim to copyright must be supported by paper, has anyone seen it? Because a progressive release of maps needs each submission and it takes time which I doubt copyrights were even given to him because of many concerned factors. Ask for prove of copyright not mere Ah Beng's word of mouth.

I stand behind MFM being the best of the 3 available maps. :champ:
Looking for a GPS unit? Check out www.garminmalaysia.blogspot.com for details and offers.

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 pm

When a copyright is file in the copyright office, the data CAN NOT be pre-viewed by public before the filing date! Now that the data is public... it is public information, a claim cannot be file on the information. :finga: Also, where is the claim filed? Malaysia, Singapore...? Each has to have its own file numbers, and protected in that regoin only. Will cost quite a bit I would say for each submission. Any changes, new file must be lodge. Now you know why big boys cannot afford to give new updates by the week!

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:19 pm

This is an interesting discussion and will be an interesting discussion in the future. You see, MSM has not released their own maps for NPM, PRK, KL and EPM after nearly six months. Perhaps we will be debating about MSM copying our maps in the future :-#

ajay

Postby ajay » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:26 pm

interesting...
pretty similar to singers alleging other singers of copying their songs :)
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

Return to “Community Hall”