my question about map data from garmin website, pardon me for the lengthy question
my device is a local version
i download a mfm version file ( malfree_201210_255 ) from garmin website
in it , it comes with a garmin map installer
1. what does this installer do? install mapsource?
it would install the gmapsupp file and jcv file in its appropriate place
i extract the file to find map data folder inside consisting of jcv folder and gmapsupp file. i did not run the
setup.exe file of the installer.
2. can i just copy and paste the jcv into my default jcv folder in my device and the gmapsupp into my sd card that holds the map data?
yes you can just copy the file onto the right place, also for the garmin official map
an unl file is required
3. am i right to say that the one from garmin website, though smaller in file size is a less detail file than the 100+mb file update we have from this mfm website, will not display cpoi, but can support jcv?
it support POIs but not as complete as cgsmapper version. Yes map this enable JCV
4. i am aware we can't use both at the same time. only way we can is to choose either one, from mfm or the copy from garmin to be the default map data, and the map data from mfm can't support jcv from website, am i right?
yes, from my experience, it can run. For How long? I dunno. The graphics on mine seems to stuck on cgsmapper version if bothe enabled. I stick to the NT version, while if no poi found, i will use the cgsmapper version to set my location revert back to the NT version.
5. can i do this - sd card Garmin folder is mfm 100+MB map data
and then copy and paste gmapsupp from the garmin website into Garmin folder in the device memory?
by default, the exe will install on the unit memory itself, but i prefer to have it on the memory card. So yes you can, but i think the map need to be in .system folder?