Geospatial PDF, Geo Tiff, etc version of Malfreemaps

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
thxsound1138

Geospatial PDF, Geo Tiff, etc version of Malfreemaps

Postby thxsound1138 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:59 pm

Hi guys,

Haven't said much in a very long time here but always remembered the good times we had in earlier times with our Garmins and random TT sessions. I still have the car stickers on my 16 year old car. \:D/

Firstly, I would like to say thank you to those still keeping this forum alive and updating the map often. It is a task that is commendable in my opinion and I very much appreciate you'll doing it.

After the era of Garmins, Papago and the other GPS modules, Waze and/or Google Maps have taken over the routing and mapping of most everyone with a smartphone. I have also been one of those who rarely use the Garmin nowadays and rely mostly on the said apps on my phone to get me to my destination or to search for locations and routes.

However I do find that Malfreemaps has some data that none of these phone apps have and still think it to be reasonably superior than even Google Maps in certain areas. Currently I use MFM maps on Mapsource and Basecamp just as a reference if I need to find something.

Then I recently stumbled upon apps called Avenza (not to be confused with the Malaysian car), and Maps.Me. Maps.Me uses the Openstreetmap and Avenza using the Geospatial PDF or Tiff format. These apps unlike Google Maps can be used very well in offline situations such as off road trails and in places with no data coverage.

I was wondering if it is possible for Malfreemaps to have an option of choosing the Geospatial PDF so it can be used in apps such as Avenza. Am not sure if there is already a way to convert the map data files to a Geospatial one, but if there is one, could you'll let me know how as it also would be beneficial to others. We also have to find a way for us to submit our tracking data on these or other apps so that Malfreemaps can continue to build the maps better with the necessary POI's and routes that we find. I would love to start contributing back to the site if there is a way we can do it via a smartphone app.

Thank you for time in reading this long post and hope to hear from you'll.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

G.
~Nüvi 205W~

wblee

Re: Geospatial PDF, Geo Tiff, etc version of Malfreemaps

Postby wblee » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:21 am

I am using Geo Tracker app in android phone.
it can save track and poi, and able to convert to gpx file that totally compatible with Garmin.
I can open the file in Mapsource without problem.

thxsound1138

Postby thxsound1138 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:52 pm

wblee wrote:I am using Geo Tracker app in android phone.
it can save track and poi, and able to convert to gpx file that totally compatible with Garmin.
I can open the file in Mapsource without problem.

Yeah I just installed that app last nite after rrading some reviews. However there is still no way I know of getting MFM maps on an Android app.
Do you have an option of opening an MFM map on that app or any other app?
Thanks.
~Nüvi 205W~

wblee

Postby wblee » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:39 am

u can try StreetPilot app. it uses garmin map.

thxsound1138

Postby thxsound1138 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:13 am

wblee wrote:u can try StreetPilot app. it uses garmin map.

Thank you :tq:
~Nüvi 205W~

Return to “Community Hall”