MFM Papago X2 map

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum

Do you support MFM releasing Papago maps?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:02 am

Yes
98%
No
2%

Total votes: 136

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby sharkteef » Sun May 24, 2009 1:27 am

i believe that contributions from a free community will also be distributed freely. this is the way malfreemaps has worked and will work. i've been assured of this many times.
our hard work whether for garmin or papago, is totally irrelavant. as long as there are end-users that require our help, we should always try to provide with the extensive knowledge that malfreemappers have got.

shideen
Senior Mapper

Postby shideen » Mon May 25, 2009 12:09 am

Enough with thousands of things we pay everyday. Why not give some free. If community can work within each other, then we can reduce some burdon we community being carrying everyday. Paying for maps will only benefit a few people, enriching only few few persons.
I still believe not every good deeds will be paid with money..

So sifu, go ahead. We tail u! :thumbsup:

:rox:
Nuvi200, 255W, GMXT on N5800, 60csx, Papago X3 (EastGear), Galactio V8

feiming
Valued Contributor

Postby feiming » Tue May 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Hope to see papago x2 map released during MFM v1.60

ckteh888
Valued Contributor

Postby ckteh888 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:39 am

:peace: :peace: :peace:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:13 am

MFM started releasing MFM-Papago map at the end of May 2009. Thanks for all your support.

Topic locked.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:57 pm

antyong wrote:Dear members,

MFM had been invited to compile Papago X2 maps. We will be given Papago's official compiler and full range of tools. We will have the freedom and control as to when and how to release our Papago maps. Our mapping team is excited with this proposal because of several benefit.

Major Benefits
  • Sharing our hard work with non-Garmin users
  • Create more competition for Garmin which will hopefully result in better price and features from Garmin
  • Allows us to start accumulating data for the newest navigation features such as lane assist, junction view and 3d buildings. When our Garmin compiler supports these new features in the future, we already have the data

However, due to the different business philosophy between Papago and Garmin, I need to clarify several matters to avoid any misunderstanding later.
  • While Garmin offers the combination of hardware, software and maps to buyers. Papago is purely the navigation software which is available for licensing.
  • To protect their on map data, Papago licensee usually requests for special versions where their devices can only read their own map. In this case, I am not sure whether our maps will be able to be used by buyers of devices sold by these companies
  • Our philosophy is making free maps available for any major navigation platform and we do not side any particular party. We will compile Papago maps for any party that approaches us
  • I had been assure that the Papago maps that we compile will be able to run on most legal Papago devices and softwares. However, at the current moment, I have no way to verify this assurance. So if we go ahead, we go ahead in good faith.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Bumping this poll asking our members' opinion on starting MFM-Papago map to remind ourselves why we started supporting Papago in the first place 8-)

Return to “Community Hall”