MFM Papago X2 map

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum

Do you support MFM releasing Papago maps?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:02 am

Yes
133
98%
No
3
2%
 
Total votes: 136

User avatar
sharkteef
Valued Contributor
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: Teh Intehnetsssss
Contact:

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby sharkteef » Fri May 01, 2009 4:04 am

i am the first to vote no . i voted no purely because i didnt want to see that slot empty. no other reasons than for the lulz.
Image

soi
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Melaka, Teluk Kemang, Temerloh

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby soi » Fri May 01, 2009 12:28 pm

:peace:

User avatar
JJ007
Valued Contributor
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:37 pm
Location: Singapore, Johor (and sometimes Batam)
Contact:

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby JJ007 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:05 pm

feiming wrote:Just wan to know,there's are hacks to edit the header of papago map to make it compatible with mapking.

is that make us considered supporting mapking and does mapking going to support papago's features?

What happens if mapking vendor hack our papago's map to make it compatible and advertise it but the features is unavailable on mapking.

sunn wrote:No hack talking here..... :-$ :mrgreen:


i just wanted to echo what bro feimeng mentioned above. although we are not allow to talk about hxxxing subject here (which I am not going to), the actual fact is that there are many out there who know the magic of changing 1,2 bytes of the headers to making a mapking map to a Papago map and vice-versa. (likewise Garmin map ...).

having these facts, there will be mapking map users benefiting from this intention of mfm-compiled Papago map in the future, so for mapking map users, this is a plus point.

back to us, POI and tracks contributors, as well as mappers, for the benefit of:

> Create more competition for Garmin which will hopefully result in better price and features from Garmin
> Allows us to start accumulating data for the newest navigation features such as lane assist, junction view and 3d buildings. When our Garmin compiler supports these new features in the future, we already have the data

against the setback of:

> mappers work double hards
> we release our data FOC
> etc

as long as we don't get tie down to legal and $$ issue later on (legal right issue of the maps, obligation to release map in certain fixed interval, accusation of map errors if it happen, freedom to withdraw this support from mfm community, ...), my response is " WHY NOT ", more competition is always good for end consumers like us, and most importantly, gather valuable technical insight of features like Junction View, 3D building, etc for our senior mappers and admin ...

so my vote is a YES
Device : Edge 800, Nuvi 1460 SG/My, Oregon 300
EPL : Man United Rocks !

User avatar
advan
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 pm

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby advan » Sat May 02, 2009 2:51 pm

yes support =P~

User avatar
gpssin
Valued Contributor
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:59 am
Location: Lion city

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby gpssin » Sat May 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Yes for me. :peace:
快乐其实很"简单", "简单"就是快乐.

User avatar
imantulen
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby imantulen » Sat May 02, 2009 6:25 pm

sharkteef wrote:i am the first to vote no . i voted no purely because i didnt want to see that slot empty. no other reasons than for the lulz.


remind me to knock your head ](*,) the next time i see you...
why? you just won it :champ: being the 1st person to say no...
typical of a mat rempit - always disagreeing :x to established norms... heheheeee...

User avatar
fruitplus
Polygon Mapper
Posts: 1425
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:35 pm
Location: On The Road
Contact:

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby fruitplus » Sat May 02, 2009 8:57 pm

imantulen wrote:
sharkteef wrote:i am the first to vote no . i voted no purely because i didnt want to see that slot empty. no other reasons than for the lulz.


remind me to knock your head ](*,) the next time i see you...
why? you just won it :champ: being the 1st person to say no...
typical of a mat rempit - always disagreeing :x to established norms... heheheeee...


:lol: :lol: :lol:
:thumbsup:
I'll support you guys!
As long we live in this community, we'll try the best for all! :peace:
Past + Present = Future

ranger79
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 2:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby ranger79 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi all

I've just started using the MFM map (v1.55). Should've started using it earlier.

Nevertheless, I thought of the following:

1) One of the main reasons that Garmin prosperous in the Malaysia & Singapore is because of the free map provided by MSM last time. It is no doubt that Papago thinks that this is an opportunity of life time to play catch up with Garmin.

The question is, what is the chance of MFM getting into the legal complication (be it Papago vs Garmin, or MFM vs MSM over map data, rights etc) due to this business competition?

2) Papago licensees demand for their own special version due to competition. What would be the repercussion for MFM? Will MFM then needs to release one map for each licensee?

This is more like a chicken & egg issue. When the MFM map become so popular, each licensee may have to release its own compatible hardware to ensure it will be in the race - I don't think this is far fetch.

3) I personally have no experience with any Papago or licensees' devices, how does the navigating capabilities compare to Garmin? Will this be a problem since one of the objectives is to encourage competition in the GPS market?

User avatar
miju
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:19 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Contact:

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby miju » Sat May 02, 2009 10:41 pm

We must support this... =D> coz we the users, will then have the options of choosing the best hardware for us.

G seems to neglect the power of consumer...they keep coming up with newer models with merely 1 or 2 additional features over the older unit so one have to keep on upgrading to enjoy the features. In latest development, they introduced JCV for Malaysia/Singapore but those who wish to have it MUST buy either 255 or 760 ONLY from their local distributors. What happened to people who have bought other models that support JCV such as 7x5 series? They may have bought theirs elsewhere for whatever reason... but if they wish to use it in Malaysia, why should they be denied of the features for Malaysia/Singapore map (...even if it is for commercial reason, the owner of other series must at least be given the option to purchase the map :thumbsdown:).

Go go MFM (and Papago!) =D>

User avatar
imantulen
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:10 pm

Re: MFM Papago X2 map

Postby imantulen » Sat May 02, 2009 10:42 pm

ranger79 wrote:1) One of the main reasons that Garmin prosperous in the Malaysia & Singapore is because of the free map provided by MSM last time. It is no doubt that Papago thinks that this is an opportunity of life time to play catch up with Garmin.

The question is, what is the chance of MFM getting into the legal complication (be it Papago vs Garmin, or MFM vs MSM over map data, rights etc) due to this business competition?

2) Papago licensees demand for their own special version due to competition. What would be the repercussion for MFM? Will MFM then needs to release one map for each licensee?

This is more like a chicken & egg issue. When the MFM map become so popular, each licensee may have to release its own compatible hardware to ensure it will be in the race - I don't think this is far fetch.

3) I personally have no experience with any Papago or licensees' devices, how does the navigating capabilities compare to Garmin? Will this be a problem since one of the objectives is to encourage competition in the GPS market?


So long as Papago has no interest in producing a malaysian map, leaving it to MFM to provide the end-support - it would be very workable. Questions arises when Papago deems it's time for them to claim back their rights to mapping..... hmmmmm.....

The sole reason why Garmin gained a strong foothold is no secret, being that there exists free up-to-date maps done by MSM formerly...


Return to “Community Hall”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests