Did MalFreeMaps Mappers copied Jerome Wee Singapore Maps?

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
extremeforensic

Did MalFreeMaps Mappers copied Jerome Wee Singapore Maps?

Postby extremeforensic » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Ethical or Unethical? I hope the below accuser are wrong.

Will the Site Admin or Singapore Map Mappers kindly clarify please.

If this is not verified, the Reputation of MalFreeMaps are at stake.

http://gpsmaps.jwpixs.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=36

Singapore map copied
It was brought to my attention that malfreemaps.com had a complete Singapore map just a few days after their website was launched and that the roads and polygons are the same as my map. I only had time to look at their v1.22 on 21 Nov and realised that they had indeed copied from my map as all my "easter eggs" could be found in their map, most were from v3.74 (which was the last version before they split from malsingmaps.com), the rest from v3.61 or earlier. I had spent the some time looking at both maps to see the extent of their copying and found at least 80% of my work in there, even deliberate routing errors were blindly copied. I pm antyong about it, which he responded that he would check with dynamix and revert. I gave them one of my easter egg and also shown them examples of how exact their map was to mine as can be seen below. They have since withdrawn their Singapore map until they finish their "audit", it will be left to been seen if all my easter eggs will still be there when it is released again. They will probably tweak the polylines to try not to make it look similiar, remove offshoot names, etc but there are some easter eggs that they cannot get rid off unless they are very sharp or they totally re-draw the map which I doubt they would.

Residential roads in Serangoon Gardens that were copied from my map:

The roads, alleys and HDB POIs that were copied from my map, they just drew in polygons:

HDB polygons, POIs and alleys that were copied. Not only are the shapes and POIs location and names exactly the same, even the error where the 118a and 118b polygon lies over the alley is exact.

6 Feb 2009

Someone just informed me that they re-released their Singapore map. I just had a look at their v1.40 and was disappointed to see that they just tweaked the polylines to try to disguise my work as some of my easter eggs are still there. They removed the roads names of all the offshoot, knowing some my easter eggs are there, but it's difficult to spot and remove the no-so-obvious easter eggs; the fake roads/alleys that I have purposely added in my map. I have also made some roads/alleys are longer than they should be (which they would definitely noticed if they did track it or drew it themselves). Just check the errors reported in malsingmaps and you will also find the exact error in their map most of the time. It only goes to show that they did not re-draw the map from scratch and are still using my map data. Even the reservoirs and rivers polygons are exactly the same as mine.

My Lornie Vidauct typo that is also in v.140. If only one polylines had that typo then it could have been a co-incidence but not when the error is on both Lornie Vidauct polylines. All the other exact errors found in my map and theirs cannot be co-incidences.

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Re: Did MalFreeMaps Mappers copied Jerome Wee Singapore Maps?

Postby johnTan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 am

Suddenly who is the person register a new member to start a thread and Ask Site admin to make clarification.
I think the thread starter is not just a newbie or what.
I always be step on MFM side.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:39 am

Since breaking away from MSM, we had been remapped Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, Johor, Singapore and now, East Malaysia. So far, no complain from other MSM mappers regarding us copying their maps except for Jerome. As all of us are aware, we removed our SG map from circulation for almost 2 months after I received Jerome's initial claim. The reason for the removal is that I am also convinced that MFM SG map contains parts of Jerome's map. Some samples had already been posted by Jerome.

Now come our new SG map. Did we copy from him? No, not deliberately. However, with many contributors contributing POIs and polygons, I cannot say for sure whether these contributors got their info from Jerome's map.

Let's revisit the earlier case. Below are the differences in road alignment. What bro Fancheng had drawn painstakingly are Jerome's "..they just tweaked the polylines to try to disguise my work as some of my easter eggs are still there..". Remember that we both use Google Earth image as reference. Maybe Jerome can tell us what he defines as original work.
serangoon.png
yishun.png

I have included part of Jerome's map that you can copy and overlay against MFM's SG map (62008888.img) using GPSMapedit for more thorough comparison.
Jerome's Yishun.mp
Jerome's Serangoon Garden.mp

Now, the coincidental typo
lornie.png

I hope Jerome, when making a serious accusation, at least bother to do a simple check of the road alignments. Even if the road name is really copied from his map, the roads were definitely not!
Jerome's Lornie Viaduct.mp

What else?
Only 1 example and that's enough to discredit MFM? I expect more. There should be more. Please tell us. We will fix them with apologies.

Common lake polygons etc
MFM accepted these contributions from members of the former SG re-map project. The project was led by Jaguar, MSM's councillor. Trajet2b, another MSM councillor was also involved. Both OngCC and me will never expect Jaguar and gang of copying. Well, we'll just remap those polygons.

MFM's reply
I cannot guarantee that MFM SG map is free from objects copied from Jerome's map. This is due to the impossible task of screening each contribution. However, whichever area in MFM SG map which Jerome can reasonably prove that we copied inadvertently from him, we will remap the said area. If he can prove we copied 80% of his map, so prove it and we will remap the 80% pointed out by him.

One thing is for sure, MFM will continue updating its SG map and will continue releasing it for free. Whether this claim is genuine or a prelude to MSM releasing NPM, PRK and KL maps which are copied from us, I don't care anymore. Copy whatever you want in retaliation. We are having the time of our lives here and we will continue what we do :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FauSham
Location: Kelantan [Legend Cx / Nuvi 200(Damage) / Nuvi 760 / Nuvi 265W(New)]

Postby FauSham » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:50 am

antyong wrote:One thing is for sure, MFM will continue updating its SG map and will continue releasing it for free. Whether this claim is genuine or a prelude to MSM releasing NPM, PRK and KL maps which are copied from us, I don't care anymore. Copy whatever you want in retaliation. We are having the time of our lives here and we will continue what we do :D[/color][/b]

....MFM will continue updating and will continue releasing it for free. <<<< :D We still look different from them.... we just give it for FREE, NO MONEY TO COLLECT, NO UNLOCK CODE and we didn't copy this idea from anywhere.

:thumbsup: ..... we different from all of them.....

To Anthony.... :champ:
:rox:
Last edited by FauSham on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
FauSham @ Malaysia & Singapore Free Maps - MalFreeMaps
AMATEUR RADIO CALLSIGN: 9W2WFN

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 am

we are not ----> :$$:

I also support antyong

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:05 am

Many members do double posting, they contribute to MFM as well as MSM. If we entertain this type of accuss, it will be never ending story.

Let him said whatever he want to say. We know what we do and we all know we are genuine. :D

We are not short of any polygon mappers, we have 30+ polygon mappers in MFM :shock: :shock: :shock:

And when we :rox: , we can't prevent jealously from others.

rajeh1313
Polygon Mapper

Postby rajeh1313 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:23 am

antyong wrote: We are having the time of our lives here and we will continue what we do :D

I agree and I stand by you....
Rajeh1313 (+65 93831441)
Born & grew up in Batu Pahat... presently in Singapore...

2uk3y

Postby 2uk3y » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:24 am

:champ: :rox: :champ:

ahnah

Postby ahnah » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:49 am

how to be a polygon mappers ?
Garmin Nuvi 765 TWN, software ver 2.50
Garmin Mapsource 6.13.7

divemuster
Contributor

Postby divemuster » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:54 am

This is like BN vs PKR saga. Whatever it is, MFM has my full support :peace:
To Air is Human, To Nitrox Divine!!

Return to “Community Hall”