Everyone SURE can be a Mapper ?

MFM community forum where you can find out the latest happenings and issues at MFM

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
johnTan
Valued Contributor

Everyone SURE can be a Mapper ?

Postby johnTan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:22 am

Just Wonder....
Am I ?
Are You ?
Are Him/Her ?

Got Chance to be Mapper ? :mrgreen:
Then How ? any Guideline ?
Last edited by johnTan on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Re: Everyone has Chance to be Mapper ?

Postby fauzee » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:51 am

johnTan wrote:Just Wonder....
Am I ?
Are You ?
Are Him/Her ?

Got Chance to be Mapper ? :mrgreen:
Then How ? any Guideline ?

don't dreaming lah..i think antyong and his friends doesn't teach anybody in the worlds to be a mappers...coz they afraid somebody will take their effort to make some mOneytory... :$gone: :$gone: :$gone: :$gone: :fire: :fire: :fire: ....maybe u can be a good contributor..how about this.. :peace: :peace: :peace: =D> =D> :welcome: :welcome: :rox:
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:57 am

Let me tell you my experience. I come to know about GPS in June 08, bought my first GPS device in Sept 08. Jointed MFM as newbie in Sept 08. Started learning how to contribute POIs, tracks at the sametime. Started polygon drawings in Oct 08, start POI compilation in Nov08. Start to learn mapping for East Malaysia in Feb 09.

I disagree with your statement of :"don't dreaming lah..i think antyong and his friends doesn't teach anybody in the worlds to be a mappers". I don't know Bro Antyong and Bro Sunn at all when I jointed this forum. Please check how many mappers we have now compared to other forum.

But I partially agree with your statement of: "...coz they afraid somebody will take their effort to make some mOneytory..." I think not only they afraid, the whole forum community afraid right?

Learn mapping and become mapper doesn't come easy. As everything come easy will go easy. Passion, sincerity, action, loosing :zzz: times for couple of days, :$gone: ...etc are routines for mappers.

No one conducting class or teaching? Joint GG, many Sifus there can teach you many things, not only mapping. :thumbsup:

"Any guidelines?"
Start with polygon mapping, you will learn others when you go along.
read all the polygon mapping related posts here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=387
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=388
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=437&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=538
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=284

:tq:
Last edited by edchuang (retired) on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pgkent
Regional Mapper

Postby pgkent » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:32 am

Agreed to our bro edchuang very much...

To be frank, i got not much experience initially, but i voluntaraly send PM to antyong to offer my help and supprisingly, he accepted me. I've definately study a lot of the "guides" that hv been provided in the help page, and started to gainin sight from there on. I started to map sandakan map and send over to him to verify and correct me...

Btw, till now i still haven't met him or other members personally... Sorry i didin't get to join the GC everytime.. hehe.. always missed the timing...

So do you think they will teach you and help you to be mapper? Yes and No... If you expect every single step to be taught, no way they can do so, because they're mapper as well, and they need your proactive attitute to approach and test... Can go into standardizing mapping guidelines to seek for more insight, people are discussing on how work on mapping... you will get to learn a lot of thing there...

So be proactive and study the guidelines, and welcome to be one of the mapper!!! If you got question please do not hesitate to ask
E71 with Garmin XT, Nuvi 200w, PAPAGO! R5800 makes me ROCKs

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:03 pm

As everybody can see from the recent happenings, there are peoples who claim to be mappers but are in fact not. Mappers are a rare group of people.

In the past, we had given several special classes on mapping. Not all who participated become active mappers but then we did not expect everyone to have the interest, time and commitment to be a MFM mapper.

The best way to start is by mapping polygons or areas. These are for display purposes and will not affect our maps' routing ability. Mapping polygons give you a taste of mapping work and make you familiar with GPSmapedit. If you find mapping polygons interesting then you can consider tougher challenges. Our new mappers for East Malaysia all graduated from polygon mapping. They realize now the significant challenges but also the satisfaction of mapping a town. And they ask for more and more areas to be mapped :thumbsup:

Therefore the answer is everyone can be a mapper :D

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:13 pm

=P~ start immediately....
:tq:
:rox:

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:28 pm

For Alor Setar, both bro Adulrahmanbius and I were occasionally contributed polygon and polyline in mp file to the forum too.... result => nice Alor Setar map. :thumbsup:

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:30 pm

keong8260 wrote:For Alor Setar, both bro Adulrahmanbius and I were occasionally contributed polygon and polyline in mp file to the forum too.... result => nice Alor Setar map. :thumbsup:

Wow, Great Job ! :champ:

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:40 pm

See... I have a Quick Start !

p/s: Hide my name-- don't let u know my real name.
Hide behind 4 number-- don't let u buy 4D. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:44 pm

johnTan wrote:See... I have a Quick Start !

p/s: Hide my name-- don't let u know my real name.
Hide behind 4 number-- don't let u buy 4D. :mrgreen:

Welcome to join the club. :thumbsup:

Return to “Community Hall”