GPS location for schools in Malaysia

Feedback for our road information and food recommendation POIs

Moderators: wwloon, alharis299, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our custom POIs
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
karlbum
Valued Contributor

Re: GPS location for schools in Malaysia

Postby karlbum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 am

huhu.... we got schools in singapore ehehehe :p invasion! :p

cool u merged the data, my coords are actually grabbed from the EMIS5.1 urs I believe is the data from the old sistem maklumat pengurusan pendidikan page? if only we can put in all that into our maps..... school name + code + tel + fax is essential... hehehe would make it easier for the insurance ppl to go to schools ahhahahaha

btw my gmail username is the same as here :D

----
just had another look at the merged data, wonder why all telephone for schools in kelantan is missing one number at the back.. and this doesnt look like the old data, instead some phone numbers are quite new... :) good find
The Journey NEVER Ends....

so make sure u don't get lost :p

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 am

karlbum wrote:cool u merged the data, my coords are actually grabbed from the EMIS5.1 urs I believe is the data from the old sistem maklumat pengurusan pendidikan page?

Don't know what system I got it from, the files are available from Google search "site:apps.moe.gov.my filetype:pdf"

MOE official number of schools is 9922, the list is short by 7 schools. Your coordinates includes 4 of the missing schools so I assume your source is the complete one.

karlbum wrote:just had another look at the merged data, wonder why all telephone for schools in kelantan is missing one number at the back.. and this doesnt look like the old data, instead some phone numbers are quite new... :) good find

Looks like the phone/fax numbers are truncated in the source data (affect some states including Kelantan):
http://apps.moe.gov.my/emis/emis2/emisportal2/doc/fckeditor/File/senarai_sekolah_2010/menengah/KelantanM.pdf
http://apps.moe.gov.my/emis/emis2/emisportal2/doc/fckeditor/File/senarai_sekolah_2010/rendah/KelantanR.pdf
http://flavors.me/nyem

karlbum
Valued Contributor

Postby karlbum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:35 am

in my file... it states that we currently have 9958 schools,

moe site is really inconsistent with their numbers :p never mind lah those school tel numbers....i think correct coord is more important than tel numbers .. :)

so lets have some fun checking the coordinates...

amamat
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby amamat » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:52 am

Salute bro Karlbum. Very nice.... you finally did it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:35 am

I think the Education Ministry's database is flawed. :(

I went looking for that school labelled SMK Seri Mulia at Taman Mutiara Barat, Cheras last Sunday. Instead there is a SMK Seri Mutiara (see my posting here - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7775&p=123447#p123447).

It will therefore be better if we take it with a pinch insofar as the Ministry's database is concerned. Better it be our eyes that verify the locations & names.
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 am

i will check the area around kulai and feedback
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

karlbum
Valued Contributor

Postby karlbum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:10 am

WEA0250 SMK SERI MUTIARA is among the 2000++ school that i deleted from the database as they did not submit their GPS coordinate to the ministry....

for me i wouldnt use the term flawed, but instead lots of human error, error in submission and so on... and definitely they didn't check but instead just put them in the database that i have heheh

if u want i can post the 2000++ school that dont have any coordinate so that we can send a search party :)

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 pm

aikliang wrote:i will check the area around kulai and feedback
Just finish checking some of the entries and they are really off.
SJK(C) Kulai.JPG
SJK(C) Kulai Besar.JPG
SMK Munshi Abdullah.JPG
So how do we go from here? Suggest members who are interested to do this pm bro karlbum for the excel file and check through and clean up. examples of clean up are:

1. delete schools already in mfm maps, then send file back to bro karlbum for compiling again
2. highlight schools not in map to region mappers to update in maps

just my suggestions.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 pm

karlbum wrote:WEA0250 SMK SERI MUTIARA is among the 2000++ school that i deleted from the database as they did not submit their GPS coordinate to the ministry....

You mean each school has to actually submit its GPS coordinates to the Education Ministry? Unless one of the school's staff has a GPS device, I don't see how the school will be able to do so (or unless they have been taught how to use Google Map :lol: ).

Besides, shouldn't that job be someone's who is sitting pretty in the Ministry? :-k
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

karlbum
Valued Contributor

Postby karlbum » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:00 pm

some of the schools already have gps coordinate and even the teachers dont know who submitted it (at least i dont know who submitted the gps data for my school) while others dont have coords and have been asked to submit it... ... :)

that's all i know anything else is a lot of guessing :D

Return to “MFM Custom POI Feedback”