Custom POIs - lack of indication of contents

Feedback for our road information and food recommendation POIs

Moderators: wwloon, alharis299, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our custom POIs
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Re: Custom POIs - lack of indication of contents

Postby chaicka » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:31 pm

stratman2 wrote:
chaicka wrote:Here are my thoughts:

I am sure there are pple out there who would want to move away from MSM POIs since it may not be accurate when used with MFM maps. With lack of MFM cPOIs for SG (far behind MSM), it makes using purely MFM map quite lack of essential functions eg. alerts for stationary speed cams/traffic light cams/ERP gantries.

My two cents:

Very true, but as brother Antyong has said, someone else has to volunteer to compile cPOIs for SG. He has already advised us not to lift data from our friendly competitor and I'm sticking to his advice.

The easiest and most obvious way is by porting existing cPOI data from the other forum. The hardest way is compiling the waypoints yourself by browsing the MFM map. But then your handiwork will be deemed as original and nobody can accuse you of copying stuff from that side. \:D/

The inaugural versions of the speedtrap and redlight cPOIs had raw data from the other side (hey, I had to start off with something!) but the subsequent versions were amended with various contributions from the selfless folks only from MFM. My other cPOIs were derived solely from MFM's maps and I did the first releases myself without anyone's help. Really.

Try to imagine yourself browsing Mapsource on a laptop with a 14" screen and identifying hundreds of road junctions, rural schools, sharp bends and you'll see what I mean. It will drive you nuts after an hour or two. :ko:

So, if you were going to volunteer to compile ERP Gantries for example, which route are you gonna take - the easy way or the original way? :mrgreen:

I would choose the original way... Tough work at the beginning, but on the long run, we stand to benefit from it.
I just need some guidance on how to start creating cPOIs. If there is already documented procedures/guide, would be glad to read through it and give it a try.

alihms

Postby alihms » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:11 pm

attahun wrote:its a never ending effort by the good folks at MFM...for the rest of us who rely on them, lets do our part and make it easier for them...if u have any useful POI just post it into this forum. :thumbsup: make it an effort to post in the POIs if you expect them to be in the maps. cheers =D>

I’ve made some spelling correction alert and POI contributions in Kuala Muda, Kedah subsection. And I intent to do more later.

Basically, great majority of the POIs I saw in mfm maps are Banks/ATM, Foods, Petrol Stations, Lodgings, Police Stations, Hospitals, Government Offices, Recreation areas and so on. The business related POIs I’ve mentioned earlier are sparse. So, is it okay if I start contributing these not-so-important POIs?

I am sure, especially when everybody starts contributing too, in no time the display will clog-up with thousands and thousands of these POIs – all closely bunched together. And heck, it may even slow down the device.

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:58 pm

chaicka wrote:I would choose the original way... Tough work at the beginning, but on the long run, we stand to benefit from it.
I just need some guidance on how to start creating cPOIs. If there is already documented procedures/guide, would be glad to read through it and give it a try.

Hooray, we have a new volunteer here! :thumbsup:

Okay, bro chaicka...all you need to know on how to start your own cPOIs can be found here.

There's a lot of reading to do and I immersed myself in Gary's tutorial for two days before attempting to do my cPOIs. Trust me, the effort is worth it. :D
cheers,

Stratman II

feiming
Valued Contributor

Postby feiming » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:48 pm

chaicka wrote:
antyong wrote:My thoughts:

If the data for speed cam, traffic light cam and ERP is easily available, just compile it into CPOI. Bro Stratman2 compiled many CPOIs for Peninsula Malaysia on his own. Can't those living in SG form a team to compile these CPOIs?

I can give it a try if there is guidance on how to pick up the rope to compile cPOIs.

Bro,it's easy.Just open Mapsource,mark your waypoint and save it in gpx.That should be enough to get thing started.

I think anybody can start a CPOI.It might take some time to learn to compile gpi,but as long there's gpx file,others can help to compile for u too.I started railway crossing using Mapsource and follow the railway track.Too bad that's not the case for Sabah.Now i thought of flying to kk to track the railway in order for me to do railway crossing there.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:20 am

feiming wrote:
chaicka wrote:
antyong wrote:My thoughts:

If the data for speed cam, traffic light cam and ERP is easily available, just compile it into CPOI. Bro Stratman2 compiled many CPOIs for Peninsula Malaysia on his own. Can't those living in SG form a team to compile these CPOIs?

I can give it a try if there is guidance on how to pick up the rope to compile cPOIs.

Bro,it's easy.Just open Mapsource,mark your waypoint and save it in gpx.That should be enough to get thing started.

I think anybody can start a CPOI.It might take some time to learn to compile gpi,but as long there's gpx file,others can help to compile for u too.I started railway crossing using Mapsource and follow the railway track.Too bad that's not the case for Sabah.Now i thought of flying to kk to track the railway in order for me to do railway crossing there.

Thanks for the advice. Need to get the motivation & time to move forward with cPOI for SG.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:33 am

Hmmm... Can I start with just creating the waypoints (for Stationary Speed Cams first) in .gpx format? Would anyone be willing to help with the compilation while I learn the rope.

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:38 am

chaicka wrote:Hmmm... Can I start with just creating the waypoints (for Stationary Speed Cams first) in .gpx format? Would anyone be willing to help with the compilation while I learn the rope.

I can help you to compile it to .gpi
Past + Present = Future

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 am

fruitplus wrote:
chaicka wrote:Hmmm... Can I start with just creating the waypoints (for Stationary Speed Cams first) in .gpx format? Would anyone be willing to help with the compilation while I learn the rope.

Thanks mate.

Let me check with a few pple first, in case of duplicated effort. ;)

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 am

chaicka wrote:
fruitplus wrote:

Thanks mate.

Let me check with a few pple first, in case of duplicated effort. ;)

No prob bro... :thumbsup:
Past + Present = Future

wiraone
Location: Section U20 Shah Alam (er.. Sg Buloh that it!), iBlue747, Nuvi350

Postby wiraone » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:15 am

Just a comment after few trips .. back home to Muar and trip to KB .. some of the speed traps indicate wrong speed limit .. so, beware of the speed limit on the highways/trunk roads and do not rely totally on the gps...

Return to “MFM Custom POI Feedback”