Custom POI download- Expressway R&R Stop areas (Ver 5)

Feedback for our road information and food recommendation POIs

Moderators: wwloon, alharis299, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our custom POIs
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Re: Custom POI download- Expressway R&R Stop areas (Ver 4)

Postby stratman2 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:23 pm

edgarchen wrote:Hi, stratman2

I notice that the 1500meters proximity range is too broad.
Take an example; Gelang Patah (N) - RSA;
If one has also include the TouchNGo Reload custom POI, there will be a mixture of consecutive prompting between RSA and TouchNGo Reload approaching the toll centre.

I run through a simulation, and notice the alert prompting triggered even on the Gelang Patah (S) - RSA on the opposite side.. This maybe due to the proximity range, irregardless of the waypoint placed on either side of the road, that tend to trigger the alert to sound off.
Maybe someone can put a test on navigation instead.

And just a suggestion, instead of putting 1 waypoint with a proximal range, why dun you break up the waypoints into scatter prompting. Eg. the first prompting will sound off in 1 km perimeter (Awareness), followed by 2nd (Ready to slow down to exit left), placed in the 400m perimeter. [These 2 waypoints with 100meters proximity range only].

As Antyong has mention viewtopic.php?p=14521#p14521

In this way, no more alerts being triggered on the opposite side of the road, and the multiply alerts prompting can be resolved.

Attach is an example on what I suggested.

Hi Ed. Strange. :-k

From what I've learned, true proximity alerts differ from Tour Guides by way of precise waypoint placement. They have to be on a Garmin recognized, mapped road. True proximity alerts are routable while Tour Guide files, which are not routable and are not placed on roads - trigger within a 360 degree radius. I assumed that E3(N) and E3(S) are different tracks by Garmin's definition.

If the Garmin device treats both E3(N) and E3(S) as similar roads, albeit having different names then a 100m proximity range should still trigger from the opposite side, would it not? #-o I don't think our expressway lanes are that far apart from one another.

BTW, Sifu Antyong's suggestion was about the placement of a small 10m radius for the Sharp Bends custom POI file, which I have asserted that once you've passed that trigger point you won't be alerted again - and you may not notice the first warning.

Having multiple trigger points will also spell confusion as to where the exact location of the R&R's entrance points (you have a pre-alert plus the main alert) not to mention the annoyance of having to scroll down the list to find out where you wish to stop. Therefore a custom POI with 50 lay-by areas will show up as 100 waypoints in your screen. Three trigger points will mean wading through 150 waypoints and so on.

I can't please everyone but tell you what bro Ed, I'll have to re-examine each and every waypoint and set the radius individually so that they don't overlap with the TnG toll booths' radii.

Oh well...back to the drawing board. ](*,)
cheers,

Stratman II

edgarchen
Valued Contributor

Postby edgarchen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Bro Stratman2,
Thanks for clarifying. Keep up the good job reviewing. :champ:
I mainly giving suggestions only... :oops:

1 more tip to resolve the multiply POIs housekeeping, to make them transparent, like a small square box (24 x 24) pixels in (R:255, G:0 and B:255), save as .bmp file.

The waypoint will be invisible in the map, but the POI proximity alert will work the same.

Explain in this website below
http://freegeographytools.com/2008/crea ... terest-poi

You can try them in your other projects to come. :thumbsup:
Everyone contribute a bit, eventually we can enjoy and benefit more in our navigation. :thumbsup:

soulquarianz

Postby soulquarianz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:38 pm

thanks for the update stratman....really helpfull during my last trips
Kaiser with GMXT

fauzie00

Postby fauzie00 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:17 am

Hi Stratman2,

I am using this POI in my GPS on my way to KL from Bangi. Found that it will also alerts the opposite (South Bound) L/B or R&R. Is it possible not to alerts any RR or LB on the opposite of the road as this can confuse during driving.

Thanks

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:33 am

fauzie00 wrote:Hi Stratman2,

I am using this POI in my GPS on my way to KL from Bangi. Found that it will also alerts the opposite (South Bound) L/B or R&R. Is it possible not to alerts any RR or LB on the opposite of the road as this can confuse during driving.

Thanks

Hi Fauzie,

In the Garmin scheme of things, it is not possible for alerts to be directional. Because you are travelling along the same route towards the POI, you will still be alerted from both directions.

The only way to circumvent this is to have the trigger points placed a long away (with a very small alert radius, maybe just 10m) from the actual rest stop area. Depending on the accuracy of your GPS unit at the time you pass the very small alert point, you may or may not receive the alert. As soon as you pass the trigger point on the road, you will not get any reminders of the oncoming R&R waypoint again.

However, trigger points do not reflect the true locations of the entrance to the R&R areas and you cannot navigate towards them - they just indicate a spot on the expressway.

Thanks for the feedback. I am however, working on a solution to this for my next release. :tq:
cheers,

Stratman II

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:15 am

Bro Stratman II,

I am just wondering...

Is it possible to locate the centre of the alert zone circle away from the road and just have the circle intersect the correct side of the dual carriageway? Of course this is not foolproof as the distance apart for the 2 sides of the highway is not great enough to eliminate the inaccuracy introduced by the drift but if it works, then we will not be alerted all the time when travelling on the other side of the road (only sometimes when accuracy is bad) and of course it will not work for single carriageways. Then if you want the alert zone to cover a greater length of the road, the circle has to be bigger and not smaller and the centre moved further away from the road accordingly.

The following graphics illustrate my suggestion.

Take the Ladang Bikam R&R on the southbound side of the E1. You would want to locate the alert just before the turn-off to the R&R marked by the cross-hair.

Ladang Bikam R&R.jpg

The next graphic shows the alert zone which can even touch or intersect the northbound side to have a greater assurance of a trigger on the southbound side.

Ladang Bikam R&R Alert.jpg

Will this work?
Lean not on your own understanding

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 pm

JasonLee wrote:Bro Stratman II,

I am just wondering...

Is it possible to locate the centre of the alert zone circle away from the road and just have the circle intersect the correct side of the dual carriageway? Of course this is not foolproof as the distance apart for the 2 sides of the highway is not great enough to eliminate the inaccuracy introduced by the drift but if it works, then we will not be alerted all the time when travelling on the other side of the road (only sometimes when accuracy is bad) and of course it will not work for single carriageways. Then if you want the alert zone to cover a greater length of the road, the circle has to be bigger and not smaller and the centre moved further away from the road accordingly.

The following graphics illustrate my suggestion.

Take the Ladang Bikam R&R on the southbound side of the E1. You would want to locate the alert just before the turn-off to the R&R marked by the cross-hair.

The next graphic shows the alert zone which can even touch or intersect the northbound side to have a greater assurance of a trigger on the southbound side.

Ladang Bikam R&R Alert.jpg

Will this work?

Hi Jason,

Yes of course that arc approach would work but that is not the proper solution. :-?

The problem is that by placing the trigger point way off-center you will be doing a Tour Guide-like custom POI rather than a routable POI. IOW, if there are roads within the radius of the proximity and you are within range of the 360 degree radius, you will get the R&R alerts even though you are not on the expressway.

Which means, an off-center POI like this will affect those rest stops which happen to be near residential and populated areas. With such a wide radius, you will be alerted of the R&R stops even if you are on an unrelated road perpendicular to the R&R POI.

The result? Confusion and annoyance of being alerted of an R&R POI when you're not even on the expressway itself. :x

Digressing a little, off-center POIs would be more useful for Tour Guide POIs, e.g. you're passing the Gunung Jerai in Kedah. Set a very wide radius (e.g. 5 kms) so that motorists travelling irrespective of the road they are on will informed about the mountain when they're within range. It won't matter whether they're driving towards the mountain or parallel to it, they'll get the Tour Guide alert.
cheers,

Stratman II

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Re: Custom POI download- Expressway R&R Stop areas (Ver 5)

Postby stratman2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:02 pm

To anyone interested in the revamped Expressway RSA custom POI, please download the latest version here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=725&p=10883#p10883

:tq:
cheers,

Stratman II

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:04 pm

stratman2 wrote:To anyone interested in the revamped Expressway RSA custom POI, please download the latest version here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=725&p=10883#p10883

:tq:

Good job :tq:

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks... will try it out.
:good:

Return to “MFM Custom POI Feedback”