Edit Custom POI Voice

Feedback for our road information and food recommendation POIs

Moderators: wwloon, alharis299, Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. This forum is strictly for feedback to our custom POIs
3. NO posting of data copied from other source especially malsingmaps
4. NO abuse, profanity and insults
5. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sakura
Contributor

Edit Custom POI Voice

Postby sakura » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Custom POI voice announcement in my Nuvi very slow. I know there no way to increase the volume without increase master volume.

Now I'm thinking to edit volume level in gpi file.
How to extract data and voice from gpi?
and how to combine back?

It's possible?
Current Project Area: Offline
...she stood there in the shadows and waited for me...

dvpro

Re: Edit Custom POI Voice

Postby dvpro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:14 pm

sakura wrote:How to extract data and voice from gpi?

You can use GPSBabel to convert GPI to GPX/GDB to be opened and edited in Mapsource. However, the POIs will lose their proximity and speed limit info, if they had them. As for extracting the embedded audio file, there is no method that I know of.

sakura wrote:and how to combine back?

Garmin POI Loader.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

sakura
Contributor

Postby sakura » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:43 pm

dvpro wrote:
sakura wrote:How to extract data and voice from gpi?

You can use GPSBabel to convert GPI to GPX/GDB to be opened and edited in Mapsource. However, the POIs will lose their proximity and speed limit info, if they had them. As for extracting the embedded audio file, there is no method that I know of.

sakura wrote:and how to combine back?

Garmin POI Loader.

I do not intend to edit data in Custom POI, I do not want lose any proximity and speed limit info. I want edit audio file only.
Look like it impossible to do what I plan for.
Can MFM release multi-level audio version of Custom POI or create a setup of Custom POI that we can adjust volume level during installation according to our need?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:25 pm

sakura wrote:Can MFM release multi-level audio version of Custom POI or create a setup of Custom POI that we can adjust volume level during installation according to our need?

First of all, you should know that these Custom POIs files are put together as members' projects, so you need to direct the request to the author of the cPOI file. However I doubt that such requests will be entertained. Please read below comment to understand what I mean. O:)

http://malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=118589#p118589
stratman2 wrote:Exactly. I've gotten quite a few PM messages from people asking the impossible from my cPOIs in the past. The Garmin software is pretty simple and doesn't accommodate useful parameters like direction, time and calendar for POIs. Garmin doesn't even provide a separate volume control for cPOI announcements. I get tired of having to tell folks who complain that the warning sounds are too loud. There's only one master volume for the GPS unit and if they use a voice file that's soft, naturally they'll turn up the volume.

Obviously when they turn up the volume of their unit higher, the announcements and sounds would be even louder! ](*,) Furthermore different models have different loudness levels. The 200-series have louder speakers than the Nuvi 310 that I'm using.

sakura
Contributor

Postby sakura » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:11 am

stratman2 wrote:...different models have different loudness levels. The 200-series have louder speakers than the Nuvi 310 that I'm using.

That's why I hope they can release multi-level audio of Custom POI.
Let say 3 versions, slow, medium and high volume.
For those who want higher volume, they can choose high volume version.

...only if the author willing to. :prayer:

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:54 am

Good luck with that. BTW, have you tried using GMXT version that gives out alerts using default beep. At least the beep is at similar volume as the voice prompts, as they come from the same voice file.

Return to “MFM Custom POI Feedback”