MFM Strategy Gameplan (Draft)

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Nicholas Chan

MFM Strategy Gameplan (Draft)

Postby Nicholas Chan » Thu May 28, 2009 1:14 am

Hello everyone,

I just caught up with Anthony last Sunday on the advise of pauchai to discuss on how MFM can better engage its community and on furthering MFM outreach to the masses. Anthony also discussed briefly with myself on the areas of strategic planning and for me to open up the topic for discussion, review and feedback by the community.

This document is NOT complete; each post from me should be approximately 25% of what I need to write, if not for the fact that I have been tied down with lots of incoming project work these 2 weeks I would complete this faster.

Overview
  • MalFreeMaps ('MFM') is the de-facto user generated garmin mapset for the Malaysia and Singapore region.
  • MFM mappers and contributors perform their work with transparency, ethics and professionalism.
  • MFM adopts a "release fast, release often" strategy, empowering its community to contribute, check and correct the MFM mapset rapidly and precisely.

It is proposed that MFM will work on further improving the following aspects in 2009:

1. community engagement and contribution
2. MFM organization direction and roadmap
3. capabilities building and standards

Present Day Situation
MFM has adopted a mapper-focus since its inception in 2008; marketing, outreach efforts and communicating with the community and public-at-large has not been a priority. While MFM has gained accolades for its efficiency in map releases, it has been slow to move out of the shadow of its former community. This has lead it to be open to assault, in part due to the lack of infrastructure to effectively reach and engage and in another part, due to the lack of strategic direction and positioning.

There has been growing number of Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt and Misinformation campaigns being semi-systematically waged on the MFM community on a regular basis. Noted response by the MFM community tend to be via forum posts rather than formal notices, lacking authoritativeness and showmanship.

Current contributors tend to be extremely technical and almost exclusively middle age male; by virtue of the difficulties in contributing, many willing-and-able individuals are either apathic or turned off. Additionally, the single point of failure within the communications loop is Anthony as there is no clear organizational structure of which specific areas of strategic responsibility and communications (apart from mappers for each state) can be taken up and deputied, and of which specific areas of contribution are in need of assistance.

Nicholas Chan

Re: MFM Strategy Gameplan (Draft)

Postby Nicholas Chan » Thu May 28, 2009 1:16 am

Proposed strategic adjustments
MFM will

Direction
Community
Corporate
Charity

Roadmap
MFM will undertake a transparent "Opensource" strategy, learning and adapting best practises from a typical Opensource project.

1. Development of "one-click contribute" online platform, allowing the ordinary user to contribute with ease (ie. Google Business Listings)
2. Establishment of user contributed map best practises, empowering mapping communities throughout
3. Incorporation of legal framework

Nicholas Chan

Postby Nicholas Chan » Thu May 28, 2009 1:17 am

Fundraising & use of funds
It is acknowledged that MFM as a non-profit entity that has overhead expenses incurred, and will conduct an increasing number of community activities and bounty-type projects in future. With that understanding, usage of funds are specifically for:

1. Community building
2. Capacity building

Community-led projects
1. Map-a-thons
2. Mapping College
3. Adopt-a-state

Corporate engagement
1. Sponsorships in cash and kind, for services rendered, etc
2. Joint marketing and CSR

sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Postby sharkteef » Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 pm

this is almost similar with corporate restructuring ........... however anything attached with the word corporate often comes at a price ...... which is profiteering. anyway good job.

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Postby fauzee » Thu May 28, 2009 11:39 pm

=D> :good: :rox:
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

Nicholas Chan

Postby Nicholas Chan » Thu May 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Profits are not a bad word; what you do with the profits is another matter. It is a growing trend that non-profits establish for-profits arms to raise funds rather than depending exclusively on begging and handouts.

Opensource projects make it clear that they also do have a for-profit arm that generate funds in order to scale and grow their community contribution. Examples such as Redhat, CiviCRM, Drupal, just to name a few are creating much value for the community while making developing for the platform a viable career for the core developers while also having the ability to better serve (ie. DrupalCon's raises not only funds for the Drupal foundation, but also creates much awareness and gathering of developers for hackathons, for example). The main thing which most people poo poos profit-making is usually because of the lack of transparancy on the organization's side.

Nonetheless, Anthony asked me to share my 2 cents and I did. If the community feels it is best to continue as it is without wanting to review, feel free to close this thread.

sharkteef wrote:this is almost similar with corporate restructuring ........... however anything attached with the word corporate often comes at a price ...... which is profiteering. anyway good job.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Fri May 29, 2009 12:11 am

"1. Development of "one-click contribute" online platform, allowing the ordinary user to contribute with ease (ie. Google Business Listings)"

I am all hands to support the above development. Currently, I find that weekly submissions quite a tedious and time consuming task for mappers, esp. the regional mappers.

If there is use of opensource CVS and SVN, it will help in version control and submissions. Not to mention accountability and audit trails to backtrack when something major goes wrong.

rcmaps
VIP Mapper

Postby rcmaps » Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 am

chaicka wrote:"1. Development of "one-click contribute" online platform, allowing the ordinary user to contribute with ease (ie. Google Business Listings)"

I am all hands to support the above development. Currently, I find that weekly submissions quite a tedious and time consuming task for mappers, esp. the regional mappers.

If there is use of opensource CVS and SVN, it will help in version control and submissions. Not to mention accountability and audit trails to backtrack when something major goes wrong.

At NZ open maps, we use Google codes for hosting the SVN repository. We get 100mb free space and can request for more space when reaching the limit. Currently up to 1GB.

It's truly open source as the public is free to download source.

Once a week I pick up all source files from SVN and batch compile the maps into an installer for public download which is hosted outside of Googlecodes.

Happy to help answer further questions if necessary.
http://www.rcmaps.nzopengps.org/
Home of Free auto routing Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, New Zealand Topo, Samoa, Niue Garmin GPS maps

duke17
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Postby duke17 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:53 am

rcmaps wrote:
chaicka wrote:"1. Development of "one-click contribute" online platform, allowing the ordinary user to contribute with ease (ie. Google Business Listings)"

At NZ open maps, we use Google codes for hosting the SVN repository. We get 100mb free space and can request for more space when reaching the limit. Currently up to 1GB.

Once a week I pick up all source files from SVN and batch compile the maps into an installer for public download which is hosted outside of Googlecodes.

:thumbsup: :tq:
Garmin Montana 650; Nuvi 2575RLM; BMW Navigator V; Nuvi 205; Garmin Edge 1000; mfm

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Postby chaicka » Sat May 30, 2009 6:33 pm

rcmaps wrote:

May need to read the clauses to understand what it means to use Googlecodes. It's good info. Probably save the trouble to maintain the system ourselves.

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”