Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Re: Road Hazard Custom POI thread

Postby johnTan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:37 am

I hope can include "tight bend" road, although MFM has indicated road with tight bend, but no voice prompt before the tight bend road, qute troublesome. when I see tight bend icon, it has already too late. most of the rural area without "tiang lampu" road light, In my area, most of the accident happen at this tight bend road area. Hope include this tight bend road into POI with voice prompt "Tight Bend Road Infront 500m".

Thanks

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 am

Totally agree with johnTan. Even though these are marked on the map, it would be very helpful to have voice alerts. Tight bends are a dangerous, especially the ones with reducing radii. The further you drive into it, the sharper the bend becomes. Hands on the steering wheel, eyes on the road...
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16 pm

johnTan wrote:I hope can include "tight bend" road, although MFM has indicated road with tight bend, but no voice prompt before the tight bend road, qute troublesome. when I see tight bend icon, it has already too late. most of the rural area without "tiang lampu" road light, In my area, most of the accident happen at this tight bend road area. Hope include this tight bend road into POI with voice prompt "Tight Bend Road Infront 500m".

Thanks

100% support!
:peace:

limhkc

Postby limhkc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:30 am

Here are some tight bends in JB that I come across...
A few of them of serious hazards, as you can see the markings left behind by many accidents.

as this is the first time I'm posting POI, forgive me if the format is incorrect. I used mapsource to clean up and save as a new file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Chris
MobileXT S60 on N95 8Gb

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:07 am

limhkc wrote:Here are some tight bends in JB that I come across...
A few of them of serious hazards, as you can see the markings left behind by many accidents.

as this is the first time I'm posting POI, forgive me if the format is incorrect. I used mapsource to clean up and save as a new file.

Thanks for your contribution, Lim. I've included your waypoints in my Sharp Bends gdb file. Right now I've amassed over 210 waypoints and browsing the MFM map for potential dangerous bends. :)
cheers,

Stratman II

stratman2
Valued Contributor
Location: P. Jaya with Garmin Nuvi 310, eTrex Vista HCx and HTC Incredible S + PapaGo X5 :-)

Postby stratman2 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 am

SureHeboh wrote:Totally agree with johnTan. Even though these are marked on the map, it would be very helpful to have voice alerts. Tight bends are a dangerous, especially the ones with reducing radii. The further you drive into it, the sharper the bend becomes. Hands on the steering wheel, eyes on the road...

Haha...bro Sureheboh - that's called "understeering". A good example is that sweeping bend from the Jln Damansara toll booth into the Northbound lane of the N-S Expressway. The bend took me by surprise, even with my years of experience driving my Putra with sports suspension. The bend's curvature was exponential rather than linear and I had to ease off the throttle to control the understeer. If I had braked, I would've gone into a dangerous spin. :frus:

I've marked that one down as one of the sharp bends in my POI file. :)
cheers,

Stratman II

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 pm

In the mean time, you can try my gpi file below. Not as good as bro Stratman's gpi file though. No voice alert, only tone alert. :(

Bro Stratman,
Can you teach me how to create those voice alert in MP3 format? Do we need special software for it? [-o<
FYI, I'm using MapSource and POI Loader to create the gpi file.

Thanks. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stratman2
Valued Contributor

Postby stratman2 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:11 pm

norwadi wrote:

In the mean time, you can try my gpi file below. Not as good as bro Stratman's gpi file though. No voice alert, only tone alert. :(

Bro Stratman,
Can you teach me how to create those voice alert in MP3 format? Do we need special software for it? [-o<
FYI, I'm using MapSource and POI Loader to create the gpi file.

Thanks. 8-)

Sure, no problem. :wink:

All that you need to know can be found here: http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmi ... agepoitext Gary Hayman wrote an in-depth tutorial on how to construct your own custom GPI files. Nothing left to the imagination. You need to take an hour to read and understand its contents though.

Thanks for the GPI file, I'll extract the waypoints and add them into my project file. Now at 566 sharp bend waypoints and counting! :peace:

BTW, my Sharp Bend POI file is out. You can download it here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=951
cheers,

Stratman II

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Thanks for the info. Very interesting info there to read and try. 8-)
:tq:

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:13 am

I think road hazard should include slippery when raining, especially our Malaysia standard highway, for example, Alor Star - Gurun highway, extremely dangerous during raining b'cos of uneven road surface. O:)

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”