What should I do with MSM?

Archive for previous discussions and feedback which are not relevant currently due to MFM's progress

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

sabre23t

Re: What should I do with MSM?

Postby sabre23t » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:01 pm

yoladu wrote:MFM is an alternative to MSM, always competing, and never complementing. If everything is cosy and amicable, there will not be MFM in the first place.

Ahem, never burn your bridges. You never know what will happen in the future. If you've been long with MSM, you'd remember the GPSMappers split and rejoin.
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Well said Brother. Let the two sites coexist and users like us can help to make it better... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:38 pm

sabre23t wrote:If you've been long with MSM, you'd remember the GPSMappers split and rejoin.

I wouldn't say that GPSMappers "split and rejoined". When GPSMappers was in existence, the same people administrating GPSMappers were also administrating MSM. Now with MFM and MSM, two different management teams exist.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:59 pm

tympg wrote:
sabre23t wrote:If you've been long with MSM, you'd remember the GPSMappers split and rejoin.

I wouldn't say that GPSMappers "split and rejoined". When GPSMappers was in existence, the same people administrating GPSMappers were also administrating MSM. Now with MFM and MSM, two different management teams exist.

Yet, we are all GPS enthusiasts. :D

kaybee
Valued Contributor
Location: Bukit Tengah, Penang (nuvi 200w, i-Blue 747A+ logger)

Postby kaybee » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:56 am

I'm contributing to just MFM right now. If both were to be the same, there is no need for MFM as MSM is already quite all-rounded whereas MFM is still lacking in the southern part. When you have 2 similar products, you only choose the better one and the only way to make MFM the preferred choice is for it to be better than MSM.

jumpstat

Postby jumpstat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07 pm

For newbies seeking technical help/knowledge, MSM have more to offer. Also where maps are concern MSM is more complete in most of the areas of P.Malaysia/Singapore/Borneo. Although MFM have some areas yet to be completed, the available areas are more exact in terms of proper icons and the availability of some features not available to specific nuvi uses previously.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:44 pm

jmleng wrote:At the end of the day, water will find its own level .... I don't think there is any need to agonise over which site to go or not to go to.

For me, what is important is that everyone should understand a few facts (also to summarise the position for folks who don't want to bother with the history):

1. MSM was one, we now have MSM and MFM.
2. MFM was formed because of some fundamental differences in opinion on the direction of the maps. The chiefs of MSM believe going down the money route is fine. MFM chiefs are against making money from the maps for what is a community effort.
3. MFM - tada censorship on MSM. Ant has made it clear he supports folks supporting/participating in both.
4. MSM - MFM is a bad word, censors the URL etc etc.
5. MFM has maps which are in line with the ownership framework which we argued at MSM previously. No mapper, no map, which is why we have missing tiles. The goal is to re-build the missing tiles using community spirit, blood, sweat, tears and a truckload of passion.
6. MFM has Ant, the mother-of-all mapping guru's. MSM locked Ant out.

Don't agonise over which site to go/participate because no one is asking or needing you to choose - do what makes sense to you given the facts above. After a while, you will figure out which site makes sense and which doesn't ....

At the end of the day, it is just about maps ...

Closing this topic and moving to archive with Jimmy's points which I agree very much to..

Return to “Archive (Garmin)”