MFM-Garmin Map (cGPSmapper) Installation Step-by-Step Guide

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: MFM-Garmin Map (cGPSmapper) Installation Step-by-Step Gu

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:22 pm

G K Lai wrote:I installed MapSource, so now what? :lol:
Can't open/load the map into MapSource, the file format it needs were not in MFM extracted directory. :ko:

After installation of MapSource, you need to run the MFM installer again so Windows registry will be updated.
Run mapsource and you should find MFM map there.
If not, on top of screen, left side, there should be a pull down menu which list all installed maps
Click on the down arrow
The drop down menu should expand showing all installed maps
Select Malfreemaps xxxxxx

G K Lai

Postby G K Lai » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:39 am

silverbeauty wrote:After installation of MapSource, you need to run the MFM installer again so Windows registry will be updated.
Run mapsource and you should find MFM map there.
If not, on top of screen, left side, there should be a pull down menu which list all installed maps
Click on the down arrow
The drop down menu should expand showing all installed maps
Select Malfreemaps xxxxxx

I'm sorry silverbeauty, I still can't find any map after I did what you mentioned. Top-left of the screen only got zoom buttons, map scale, send to device etc... no drop down menu... :cry:

After checking all installation, re-install MFM installer 2-3 times, manually check my system registry and spent 1½ hour reading and ransacking this forum posts and search capabilities... I am very tired... :frus:

Then I decided to check every single menu commands again, and go to [View] --> [Switch to Product] and found out [No Map] were selected by default! :fire: :x Changing from [No Map] to [Malfreemaps xxxxxx] and AHA! :peace:

By the way, after successfully loaded the map, I still can't see any drop down menu, maybe they changed the UI?
FYI, I'm using MapSource v6.16.3 on Win7 x64.

Many thanks, now it's time for me to learn how to use this MapSource. :tq:

:rox:

asfira

Postby asfira » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 am

Hi, i have a questions,
1. i installed latest map and its working great!, but there is 1 unit (nuvi 255w) where while it navigate then reaching railway cross, the POI alert sound and seem dont stop, can say its hang somewhere but notnthe navigation. it also happens when reaching junction and when the alert sound, it may be hang.WHY?

2. how do i save another map such as taiwan or UK, or thai in the garmin nuvi? either in the garmin or in the sd/micro sd.? and want it to be working as well. maybe for simulate driving route. or for browsing purpose using the garmin unit. i dont know how to link it to the system.

thanx guys

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:37 am

asfira wrote:Hi, i have a questions,
1. i installed latest map and its working great!, but there is 1 unit (nuvi 255w) where while it navigate then reaching railway cross, the POI alert sound and seem dont stop, can say its hang somewhere but notnthe navigation. it also happens when reaching junction and when the alert sound, it may be hang.WHY?
Check the railway crossing custom POI in POI folder file. Delete it and download a fresh copy.

2. how do i save another map such as taiwan or UK, or thai in the garmin nuvi? either in the garmin or in the sd/micro sd.? and want it to be working as well. maybe for simulate driving route. or for browsing purpose using the garmin unit. i dont know how to link it to the system. thanx guys
Nuvi 255W can hold 3 maps in main memory ( gmapprom, gmapprom1 and gmapsupp ) and 1 in SD card ( gmapsupp ). It is not advisable to load maps into main memory as you risk corruption and bricking your Nuvi. Furthermore filling the main memory can cause unit to lag. Try putting in different SD card and load SD cards for browsing as mentioned

There are solutions to merge maps like using gmaptool or mapsource ( if you have the mapsource version map ) but you need to learn to use the software. Please refer to our library for references to these.

asfira

Postby asfira » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:15 am

silverbeauty wrote:
Check the railway crossing custom POI in POI folder file. Delete it and download a fresh copy.

2. how do i save another map such as taiwan or UK, or thai in the garmin nuvi? either in the garmin or in the sd/micro sd.? and want it to be working as well. maybe for simulate driving route. or for browsing purpose using the garmin unit. i dont know how to link it to the system. thanx guys
Nuvi 255W can hold 3 maps in main memory ( gmapprom, gmapprom1 and gmapsupp ) and 1 in SD card ( gmapsupp ). It is not advisable to load maps into main memory as you risk corruption and bricking your Nuvi. Furthermore filling the main memory can cause unit to lag. Try putting in different SD card and load SD cards for browsing as mentioned

There are solutions to merge maps like using gmaptool or mapsource ( if you have the mapsource version map ) but you need to learn to use the software. Please refer to our library for references to these.

Thanx silverveuty for the info,
btw, when i save another map eg UK map in micro SD as gmapsupp or gmapprom1. how to browse? i dont find any map installed except the malaysia map (MFM120709). do i need to do something? or need to browse to UK land?

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:32 am

asfira wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:

Thanx silverveuty for the info,
btw, when i save another map eg UK map in micro SD as gmapsupp or gmapprom1. how to browse? i dont find any map installed except the malaysia map (MFM120709). do i need to do something? or need to browse to UK land?

In SD card, Nuvi 255W will ONLY recognize ONE map file name gmapsupp.img in /garmin sub-folder
No two SD cards are built alike, expecially those that plug into adapters ie.. uSD that plugs to adapter that converts it to SD. It is thinner thus results in poor contact. You need to check if this is what is happening.

asfira

Postby asfira » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:51 am

silverbeauty wrote:

dear silverbeuty,
earlier u mention that garmin can save up to 3 map, so how do i browse the 2nd and 3rd map? for eg, gmapprom is my Mlysia map, and i rename Indonesia or UK as gmapprom1. while Thailand as gmapsupp. how do i browse these maps? is the map already linked with the garmin software? and if i landed to thai or indonesia, is my garmin can navigate?
again thanx

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 pm

asfira wrote:
dear silverbeuty,
earlier u mention that garmin can save up to 3 map, so how do i browse the 2nd and 3rd map? for eg, gmapprom is my Mlysia map, and i rename Indonesia or UK as gmapprom1. while Thailand as gmapsupp. how do i browse these maps? is the map already linked with the garmin software? and if i landed to thai or indonesia, is my garmin can navigate?
again thanx

If loaded properly into MainMemory/garmin of your 255W, it will appear in Tools/Map/Mapinfo menu for you to enable ( tic) or disable ( untic )

Once GPS get lockon in respective country you are in, the map ( if available and choosen ) in your GPS will be used and displayed.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm

asfira wrote:thanks i will try.

No need to try... just come to our NPM GG tomorrow and we will show you how... See u soon...Cheers!... :D
Common Sense Is Not Common.

asfira

Postby asfira » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

moeyhc wrote:
asfira wrote:thanks i will try.

No need to try... just come to our NPM GG tomorrow and we will show you how... See u soon...Cheers!... :D

sorry cannot attend it cause i'm from Johor, btw do u know why my garmin nuvi 255w is not able to connect to computer? sometimes it can and mostly cannot. its only working like while charging the unit although using usb cable from computer. i guess virus already infected the garmin nuvi. how do i format n restore to original condition? please help. again thanx

Return to “Library”