Large POI icons for VGA/WVGA devices

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
pakaque

Re: Large POI icons for VGA/WVGA devices

Postby pakaque » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:54 am

Am so glad that it works with the MFM lite now. am using it right now with my HTC TD2. keep up the good work!!!

gloomis10
Valued Contributor

Postby gloomis10 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks it works great on my Dell axim x51v VGA screen :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:59 pm

Glad it worked out for those with VGA screens. Anyway, please feedback on the icons if any, so that I can do continuous improvement. There are a few more icons that needs enlarging, will get to that maybe this weekend or the next.
Current Device: LG G2 Android 4.4.2
Previous Devices: HTC HD2 with WM6.5 and Android 2.3.5
Previous Devices: HTC Touch Diamond 2 PDA Phone (288MB RAM) with WM6.5

Rivenx

Postby Rivenx » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:24 pm

Good job! It works great on my Omnia II. Looking forward to future updates. THANKS!!

aeronic

Postby aeronic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:55 am

I was wondering about this for a long time
Good start there man
Maybe you would want to team up to segregate the tasks to different members so that major icons can be completed in MFM
As there are more icons left to be converted
i rikes to uses my favourite maps because mfm is not only my favourite maps but it is also the bestest map for mareyshia, singkaypoh and some say asean

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Sorry no updates from me, since I was to engrossed into motorcycling recently. Once I got over the bike, I'm going to get the remainder of icons.

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 pm

March 27, 2010 updates.

I went ahead to place large VGA icons for MFMPC.typ file. I think this should cover all options for gmapsupp.img generation with all the options available for it. When asked to generate gmapsupp.img file during the Mapsource installation, replace both the MFMFC and MFMPC file.

Let me know if there are issues with these files. Thanks.

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 am

A note to all users for MFMFC.typ files.

If u notice, some of the icons are not turning out as expected. For example, Public Toilets icon has now changed to Government Clinic icons, Government Clinics icons to LHDN, and I saw Honda icon turning out to state councils, and I bet, there are a few more weird icons.

The root cause:
The Custom POI icons reference are dictated by HEX value numbering, Type and Sub Type. I think Type controls the Main Group (e.g Banks, Automotive, Civilians) while Sub Type controls the specifics (e.g MayBank, Peroduo, Public Toilets). I did a comparison for the latest MFMFC.typ that were released with the new maps versus the MFMFC.typ I was working on (& also the Jan14 release) and found that the Type and Sub Type were changed for some.

Workaround:
I can think of manually changing the icons to follow the lastest MFMFC and MFMPC files, but that's a lot of work. Long Term, I would prefer to have a Standard to fixed the Type and Sub Type values so that it remains permanent.

Current:
I am trying to work with Antyong to get a solution to this. Just hold on. If I can get MFM to agree to fixed the Icon Type and Sub Type Hex values, then this would be the best solution on the long term.

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Update.

MFMFC.typ and MFMPC.typ are now both updated with large icons. The issue with MFMFC.typ showing the wrong icons are now solved (should be). All icons are now made large except for the Highway markers such as E1 (North South Expressway), E2 ... etc

Let me know if u see an error. Hope these large icons makes it easier to find while navigating.

Lastly, current installation of the icons is a bit of a hassle. Soon this will be a thing of the past. Stay tuned!

RM1
Contributor

Postby RM1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:50 am

I didn't want to expose what MFM is going to do earlier until it has been officially announced. If you have not realized, beginning from April 2010's MFM maps for Garmin, there is an option to use Large Icons during the Map installation process. :peace:

Simply download MFM maps for Garmin as you use to do, and when the option screen comes on, tick on the option for Large Icons. Hope this make things easier for all Large icon users. Let's thank MFM also for allowing this feature to be made convenient for users with VGA/WVGA screens. :tq:

:rox:

Return to “Library”