How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
alyem
Regional Mapper

How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Postby alyem » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:41 pm

MapSource First-Time Installation Guide, ver. Oct 2012
by tympg

As MapSource will not install if it does not detect an existing MapSource in the PC, many MfM members get stuck trying to install MapSource for the first time. The following three installation methods are known ways of circumventing this problem.

Method 1
  1. Download and install Garmin's BaseCamp into your PC.
  2. Download and run the latest MapSource installation file (should be named like "MapSource_6163.exe").
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions, and MapSource should be installed on your PC.
  4. If you already have maps installed, you can view your map by going to View > Switch to Product > <Map Product Name>, otherwise you can now proceed to install our MFM-Garmin maps into MapSource.

Method 2
  1. Download the latest MapSource installation file (should be named like "MapSource_6163.exe").
  2. Use 7zip or WinRAR to open and extract the contents of the EXE file you downloaded.
    (See Youtube video Note: Portuguese UI)
  3. From the extracted files, run MSmain.msi (newer MapSource) or Main.msi (older MapSource).
  4. Run Setup.exe located in the same folder.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions, and MapSource should be installed on your PC.
  6. If you already have maps installed, you can view your map by going to View > Switch to Product > <Map Product Name>, otherwise you can now proceed to install our MFM-Garmin maps into MapSource.

Method 3
  1. Use one of these registry files:
    • For 32-bit Windows:
      mapsource32.zip
    • For 64-bit Windows:
      mapsource64.zip
    Unzip and run the REG file.
  2. Download and run the latest MapSource installation file (should be named like "MapSource_6163.exe").
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions, and MapSource should be installed on your PC.
  4. If you already have maps installed, you can view your map by going to View > Switch to Product > <Map Product Name>, otherwise you can now proceed to install our MFM-Garmin maps into MapSource.

Notes
  • For subsequent MapSource installations (i.e. you already have MapSource installed), just download and run the latest MapSource installation file (steps 2-4 in Methods 1 & 3).
  • There is also a suggestion of creating a dummy "MapSource.exe" in the MapSource directory (see post below). This flat-out does not work -- I've tried.
  • If a message "There is a problem with the MapSource registry. Please re-install MapSource and start MapSource again" appears, download and run MapSource Fix v0.2e to clean up the registry. This is an old problem and hasn't been happening lately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tympg on Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:00 am, edited 14 times in total.
Reason: Updating MapSource Installation Guide
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

alyem
Regional Mapper

How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby alyem » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:59 pm

Older Installation Guide

moeyhc wrote:The easiest way to Install Garmin Mapsource.... An Idiot can do it in Seconds!!! :mrgreen: :peace:

here's how....
- Make a folder in C Drive called Garmin (C:\Garmin)
- Copy a file (any file will do, size doesn't matter too) into this C:\Garmin folder
- rename the copied file to Mapsource.exe
- Run the Garmin installer ( last released version 6.16.3 link : http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=209 )
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install Mapsource
- Install a MfM map (note: Mapsource will not start unless there is at least one map installed)
- Done

Alternatively can also install via this procedure

Install the Garmin Training Center software Ver. 3.6.5 which by itself is a good introduction and tutorial to using Mapsource
Link : http://www8.garmin.com/support/collecti ... 9-99999-04

Once installed, download latest Mapsource update ( last released version 6.16.3 link : http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=209 )

Lastly install a MFM map (note: Mapsource will not start unless there is at least one map installed)

====

1. Download Mapsource Registry Script <-- Right-click and then select "Save link as" or "Save Target As"

2. Double-click on the script (mapsource.reg) to run it. Click "Yes" when the dialog message appears
register-ms.png

If that dun work, and the file came out in "mapsource.reg.txt".
Try this > In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options. Click View tab, and under Advanced Settings uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

3. Download Mapsource Recommended Old version 6.13.7 click here
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2siza6

BUT if you prefer latest version double-click hereGarmin Mapsource to install

4. After installation, the message below will appear if you run Mapsource
nomap.png

Don't worry. It is alright. There is currently no map for Mapsource to open yet. Proceed to download and install MFM map.

5. If this message appear:-
"There is a problem with the My-Sin installation. Please re-install Mapsource and start MapSource again"

You need to clean the mapsource registery.
by using this tools

Mapsource Fix v0.2e

Edited by Antyong
Last edited by alyem on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
73, 9w2yyl

alyem
Regional Mapper

Mapsource

Postby alyem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:32 pm

This Pictorial Guide was Contributed by Bro Aikliang
Full Picture Guide, Please Click Here >> Bro Aikliang

aikliang wrote:Thought of helping others here with a simple pictorial guide on installing maps into mapsource. Please keep in mind this is a perfect scenario where nothing goes wrong.

Senior bros / sifus, appreciate if you could correct any wrong information here.

PART ONE

1. Download latest MFM maps from here. Please take note new maps is up-loaded every Monday, file naming convention is yymmdd.exe. remeber where you have downloaded the file to.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=893

2. Go to the directory where the file is saved. run the exe file by clicking on "RUN"
mapsource 01.jpg

3. select your language

mapsource02.jpg

4. Welcome screen, click "NEXT"

mapsources 03.jpg

...... PART TWO
73, 9w2yyl

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Re: Download Garmin MapSource. Step by Step Guide

Postby drsec » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:43 am

I just downloaded the latest version of Gramin Mapsource ver 6.15.3 and installed it with no problems. It is just the size of the file to download is quite big and will take some time.

I did have the problem with the earlier versions and found that if I download and install the Garmin Training Center and then install Mapsource, I dont seem to have the error.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby zamad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 pm

:welcome: to mfm.
Kindly advise whether it will be helpful or useful to download & install GARMIN Mapsource in my newly acquired 205W.
Mapsource should be installed on your PC and not on the nuvi (it cannot anyway). You would be using Mapsource to read your nuvi (for POIs), and use the software to edit and save them in gdb files for submission to the mappers. You could also use it to 'clean/edit' your POIs and re-send them back into your nuvi.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 am

tyj82 wrote:How to install custom icon on Mapsource.
I try to put some waypoint but can't find the icon in MapSource
eg. 7-11

Refer to viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1480

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:01 pm

KWD wrote:Hi Bro

I'm new here and having problem to installed the map source into my pc. when I open the map source program the following message pop up to the screen "There is a problem with MSM-MySin installation, Please re-install MSM-MySin and start MapSource again"
I had followed the full instruction given but I'm still not manage to open map source program to view the updated malfreemaps data.
I needed help here. Thanks.

:rox: :tq:

MSM-Mysin is not from malfreemaps. Are you sure you are fixing the right mapset?

wsjihan

Postby wsjihan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:37 pm

hi
I downloaded the registryedit file but when i double click it, it open notepad. how ro proceed from there?

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:44 pm

wsjihan wrote:hi
I downloaded the registryedit file but when i double click it, it open notepad. how ro proceed from there?

Try right click > Merge

wsjihan

Postby wsjihan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:47 pm

sorry, no merge option with right click

Return to “Library”