How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
patterson

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby patterson » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09 pm

makaii wrote::) Hallo..

i'm very new here and i can't seem to understand,what is MapSource everyone is talking about?

is it a certain software? i just bought my 255W yesterday & were browsing thru the quick guide..

i looked in the installer cd given but could'nt find anything related to mapsource.. Why do we need to

open a mapsource folder? errr.. i'd be grateful if anyone can clear this info.. Many thanks

I am also new to all this mapping, but I think that Mapsource is a software that is installed on a PC/Laptop that will allow you to manage the map(s) that are installed in your Nuvi.
If you are not intending to customize the maps in your Garmin Nuvi, you are not likely to need Mapsource.
(Experienced members: please correct me if I am mistaken.)

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:45 pm

patterson wrote:
makaii wrote::) Hallo..

i'm very new here and i can't seem to understand,what is MapSource everyone is talking about?

is it a certain software? i just bought my 255W yesterday & were browsing thru the quick guide..

i looked in the installer cd given but could'nt find anything related to mapsource.. Why do we need to

open a mapsource folder? errr.. i'd be grateful if anyone can clear this info.. Many thanks

I am also new to all this mapping, but I think that Mapsource is a software that is installed on a PC/Laptop that will allow you to manage the map(s) that are installed in your Nuvi.
If you are not intending to customize the maps in your Garmin Nuvi, you are not likely to need Mapsource.
(Experienced members: please correct me if I am mistaken.)

Mapsource is needed as reference authentication of contribution of errors / POIs / tracks to avoid duplication of already present POI/roads etc... :-'

alanwong86

Postby alanwong86 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:45 pm

sorry but wanna ask.. i've merge registry, install mapsource, install latest MFM map, but when i open Mapsource i dont see mapset? how do i go bout it?? thx in advance! :peace:

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:00 pm

alanwong86 wrote:sorry but wanna ask.. i've merge registry, install mapsource, install latest MFM map, but when i open Mapsource i dont see mapset? how do i go bout it?? thx in advance! :peace:

Did you follow as in Page 1 > viewtopic.php?f=28&t=735
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

alanwong86

Postby alanwong86 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:11 pm

i did exactly.. and even try to reinstall to other PC using same method.. still no mapT_T.. help!

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Installing Mapsource itself results in no mapset.

Did you run MFM installer AFTER installing mapsource :-?

donyaziz

Postby donyaziz » Wed May 18, 2011 11:28 pm

I'm usually success install mapsource before this.
When im using Win7 64 bit and follow the same step, it cannot be install.
this massage appear :

Previous MapSource not found!

Setup will terminate.

mp2.png

mapsource.png

reexamine the procedure viewtopic.php?p=11010#p11010, but the same result.

anybody comment.?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Thu May 19, 2011 6:51 am

Bro donyaziz, you had used a "upgrade" executable file to install Mapsource. You MUST have an existing version before you can run the latest file.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Sat May 21, 2011 10:35 pm

donyaziz wrote:I'm usually success install mapsource before this.
When im using Win7 64 bit and follow the same step, it cannot be install.
this massage appear :

Previous MapSource not found!

Setup will terminate.
reexamine the procedure viewtopic.php?p=11010#p11010, but the same result.

anybody comment.?

Did you read the 1st post in this thread HERE?
Common Sense Is Not Common.

shakyhand

Postby shakyhand » Sun May 29, 2011 8:48 am

Hi all,

I've been using Mapsource for maybe 3~4 years... During that time I have formatted my computer and re-install training center and mapsource again and again without any problem... In fact just few months ago I formatted my laptop and re-install Training center and
mapsource and faced no problem at all...

However, my laptop mess up again when I uninstall some of trial software so I have to re-format my laptop again. As usual I re-install training center first and then mapsource, but to my surprise, when I launch mapsource, there is no map at all. Even after I download and install free malfreemap for garmin... I have done this more than 10 times before but never face this problem...

I'm scratching my head now.. hope forumers can help. Thank you...

Return to “Library”