How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
invisibleghost

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby invisibleghost » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:11 pm

fancheng wrote:
invisibleghost wrote:
but when i open, just a Note pad. did i download the correct thing?

right click on the file and select merge or install the Registry files then in install MapSource.

the file is only 1kb n when i right click, i saw the below, anything wrong?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:01 am

invisibleghost wrote:the file is only 1kb n when i right click, i saw the below, anything wrong?

OK, try this. Start > Run > (type) regedit (to start Registry Editor).
In Registry Editor, select File > Import > select "mapsource.reg" > Open. Then install Mapsource.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

invisibleghost

Postby invisibleghost » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:06 am

ok, as u can see from the pic, i right click on the "emech" and the little box popped up, so is that the correct gps co-ordinate?

if yes, how do it put in the map for others to see? u knw, like all other location in the map. i believe some1 put it in. wat do u call that? POi?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:13 am

invisibleghost wrote:ok, as u can see from the pic, i right click on the "emech" and the little box popped up, so is that the correct gps co-ordinate?

Yes.

invisibleghost wrote:if yes, how do it put in the map for others to see? u knw, like all other location in the map. i believe some1 put it in. wat do u call that? POi?

Yes, that is called POI Contribution. In Mapsource, save it as GDB file, and upload it at the appropriate feedback section with some comments. The mapper will collect these contributions, and update the map accordingly.

invisibleghost

Postby invisibleghost » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:24 am

dvpro wrote:
invisibleghost wrote:ok, as u can see from the pic, i right click on the "emech" and the little box popped up, so is that the correct gps co-ordinate?

Yes.

i right click on the "emech" a few times n each times, diff co-ordinate appears although is very near to each other. something wrong?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:37 am

invisibleghost wrote:errr, sifu, wat does this error means?

When receiving from device, deselect Maps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:42 am

invisibleghost wrote:i right click on the "emech" a few times n each times, diff co-ordinate appears although is very near to each other. something wrong?

Zoom in further, and then only select with Waypoint Tool. While you select with Waypoint Tool, make sure the POI name is highlighted. If there are a few POIs nearby, right-click, select the appropriate POI, select New Waypoint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

invisibleghost

Postby invisibleghost » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:28 am

dvpro wrote:
invisibleghost wrote:i right click on the "emech" a few times n each times, diff co-ordinate appears although is very near to each other. something wrong?

Zoom in further, and then only select with Waypoint Tool. While you select with Waypoint Tool, make sure the POI name is highlighted. If there are a few POIs nearby, right-click, select the appropriate POI, select New Waypoint.

i just mark it at favorite. I din put in POI yet. hence I cant highlight the POI name.

mcmc

Postby mcmc » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:02 pm

invisibleghost wrote:
dvpro wrote:

i just mark it at favorite. I din put in POI yet. hence I cant highlight the POI name.

Pls do the following:
1) Select the Waypoints tab
2) Right click on Emech
3) Choose Waypoint(s) Properties...

FYI, Waypoint = POI.
8-)

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:22 am

invisibleghost wrote:i just mark it at favorite. I din put in POI yet. hence I cant highlight the POI name.

If you mean the POI is saved in Nuvi Favorites, connect Nuvi to PC, start Mapsource, select Receive from Device icon(or Transfer > Receive from Device). Then, all your saved Favorites will be uploaded into Mapsource.

Return to “Library”