How to install Garmin MapSource for the First Time

Guides, FAQs, How-to, etc

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
adcimo

Re: How to install Garmin Mapsource

Postby adcimo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:10 pm

It is in .txt format.. to use it, you need to change the file extension to .reg only.

The full filename of the file is "mapsource.reg.txt". If you can only see the filename as "mapsource.reg" but with text file icon, you need to disable the extension hiding feature of Windows XP.

In Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options. Click View tab, and under Advanced Settings uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Hope that this helps.

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:22 pm

alyem wrote:1. Download Mapsource Registry Script <-- Right-click and then select "Save link as"

2. Double-click on the script (mapsource.reg) to run it. Click "Yes" when the dialog message appears
register-ms.png

3. Download and double-click Garmin Mapsource to install

4. After installation, the message below will appear if you run Mapsource
nomap.png

Don't worry. It is alright. There is currently no map for Mapsource to open yet. Proceed to download and install MFM map.

Edited by Antyong

I am brand new here and trying to follow the Garmin Mapsource installation guide but I am stuck with the second step.

For step 1:
Right click on the words "Mapsource Registry Script" will trigger a popup; click "save link as" in the popup will trigger another popup at which you can specify to save a file with default name "MapSource.txt" into a default directory. MapSource.txt is a text file with 4 lines (content looks likely is input or init file to another program). Have no problem to complete this step.

For step 2:
I am scratching my head now as nowhere file MapSource.reg has been mentioned in the documents I read before this step. Have I missed out anything or steps? Please forgive my ignorance, can someone enlightening me where I can locate and/or download this mapsource.reg file so that I can duly "double click" on this file to continue?

So far, I have already downloaded MFMv150.exe and MapSource_6154.exe.

Regards,
JayCee

After a second look into this thread:

Simply change the mapsource.txt to mapsource.reg and you will have the mapsource.reg file. Double click will trigger the registration editor to start.
Issue closed.

:)
Last edited by JayCee on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:00 pm

JayCee,

There's also another way to install Mapsource on your PC.
1. Install Garmin Training Centre, then
2. Install MapSource.
You can then install the mfm map.

I wouldn't install MapSource 6.15.4 on the PC because, on my Vista laptop, the aspect ratio is just not right. You get a rhombus (or diamond) instead of a rectangle. On my XP PC, I've installed the 6.13.7. This issue has been discussed in this forum too, and maybe you should start reading them before you proceed with the MapSource installation.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

luv_yen360
Polygon Mapper

Postby luv_yen360 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:15 pm

What i did;
1. Download mapsourse.
2. Use winrar to extract the exe file.
3. Find main.msi file & setup.exe
4. Install main.msi
5. Install setup.exe
Ian Zurina

Polygon Drawing in Progress

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:57 pm

zamad wrote:JayCee,

There's also another way to install Mapsource on your PC.
1. Install Garmin Training Centre, then
2. Install MapSource.
You can then install the mfm map.

I wouldn't install MapSource 6.15.4 on the PC because, on my Vista laptop, the aspect ratio is just not right. You get a rhombus (or diamond) instead of a rectangle. On my XP PC, I've installed the 6.13.7. This issue has been discussed in this forum too, and maybe you should start reading them before you proceed with the MapSource installation.

Zamad,
Thanks. I have since resolved the installation problem.
It could be very helpful to (Windows) noobs if the installation step could add a rename step.
Cheers,
JayCee

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Taboo wrote:Any screen shoot from this diamond look?
The Mapsource issue was extensively discussed here at http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30. It includes screen captures and all..
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

bonzaimy

Postby bonzaimy » Fri May 08, 2009 12:38 pm

lol..Im using Macbook. IS there any software for macbook to download the map?

okone

Postby okone » Mon May 11, 2009 1:18 am

i've download the registry mapsource file and do whait i have to do.. and i,ve install mapsource 6137, and when its done and lauching.. this dialog box appear "mapsource could not find any installed mapsource map products" "please installl one or more mapsource map products and start mapsource again" which steps that i missed? somebody help plz

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Mon May 11, 2009 6:46 am

okone wrote:i've download the registry mapsource file and do whait i have to do.. and i,ve install mapsource 6137, and when its done and lauching.. this dialog box appear "mapsource could not find any installed mapsource map products" "please installl one or more mapsource map products and start mapsource again" which steps that i missed? somebody help plz

Kawan, it is like a car. You buy it but forgot it needs petrol to run it :mrgreen:

Download MFM map from our download link and install la ......... :thumbsup:

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed May 20, 2009 2:36 pm

min_nutfatin wrote::) Newbie to this forum. My first posting.

Please confirm the MS (MapSource) of this version works with Window Vista only?

Thank you

Works on Vista, XP, 2000 ...

Return to “Library”