Nuvi zoom problem

Moderators: Chuah, Moderators, Regional Mappers

255w
Contributor

Nuvi zoom problem

Postby 255w » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi Bros, I've noticed sometimes during navigation, my nuvi map zoom suddenly change from 50m to 1.2km... This happens quite frequently along expressway (eg. CTE -> SLE) but at different point. The problem does not happen during simulation, only happen during navigation...

Anyone having this same problem? Is the 50m zoom lock firmware or map dependant?

dvpro

Re: Nuvi zoom problem

Postby dvpro » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:23 pm

I believe it's firmware dependent. I also think the auto-zoom feature is somewhat speed dependent too.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

255w
Contributor

Postby 255w » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 pm

dvpro wrote:I believe it's firmware dependent. I also think the auto-zoom feature is somewhat speed dependent too.

Hmm... So there's no way to make it lock on to 50m then? 1.2km is not good for navigation especially approaching a turn/exit...

Zeus73

Postby Zeus73 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 pm

dvpro wrote:I believe it's firmware dependent. I also think the auto-zoom feature is somewhat speed dependent too.

Yes... They are speed dependent.

The zoom level will change when speed is more than around 90km/h. And will switch back when speed drops below around 70km/h.

255w
Contributor

Postby 255w » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Zeus73 wrote:

Yes... They are speed dependent.

The zoom level will change when speed is more than around 90km/h. And will switch back when speed drops below around 70km/h.

I'm quite sure I was driving below 90km/h (speed limit :-') when the map zoom change... Anyway, I'll monitor again. Thanks bros for the valuable info.

BTW, anywhere from the internet I can find out more technical info like these for the nuvi?

tks

Postby tks » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:02 am

hi 255W,

This is called "Auto Zoom". In older Nuvis and my current GMXT, I can disable this feature. I don't like it at all, for the same reasons that you have mentioned. It may be useful in other countries where the expressway is very, very long. But not in Singapore. I am not sure if it is triggered by speed. I think it may be triggered by distance that you are going to travel on that road/expressway.

But in newer Nuvis, I noticed that this feature is now enabled by default and there seems no way to turn it off. It is one of the features which I cannot understand Garmin's thinking. Check if you have this feature "Auto Zoom" where you can enable/disable.

newtyang

Postby newtyang » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 am

My two cents.... if someone is traveling at high speed, he is most probably on a straight road and should concentrate on what are ahead. The auto zoom of nuvi is therefore a smart safety feature which adjust the zoom level to suit your speed.

cruxader

Postby cruxader » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:06 pm

IIRCC, the auto zoom was set to zoom out to include your next turn within the screen range.
I wrestled a lot with this problem when travelling in KL because while my yurn canbe many km ahead, there are many highway forks/turns that are not classified as turns in the map & therefore does not show up.

This causes unfamiliar drivers (ie me!) to overshoot (or mistakenly turn off) because there was no clear indication on the map but the actual route was to follow the highway bend but what appears to be straight forward is actually an exit. On conversely, sometimes it advices a turn to keep you on the main highway! :frus:

Admittedly, the situation has improved somewhat now that we have included more junctions in the map - the zooms are less ridiculous! Catering for JCV helps too, even though I do not have JCV on my antique nuvi 370! 8-)

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:31 pm

I hate the autozoom as there is no way of turning it off. It also zooms to the level that I do not want. This is one of the idiocyncrasies of Garmin. Probably trying to make differentiation between the numerous products. Another example is the Oregon which does not have a night-mode.

I am going to the Comex show tomorrow to look at the 3790. Tempted to buy but the main feature I am looking for is the ability to turn off the Autozoom. I am quite sure it can't be turn off and, if that is the case, then no way I am buying it.

tks

Postby tks » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:41 am

hi simseair,

Keep us posted on whether this auto-zoom feature is still in the newer Nuvis. There are two other features which I do not understand Garmin's thinking are:

- Device goes dead in tunnels and all routing info (including next exit) removed from screen display. Garmin should follow TomTom, Papago etc where the device goes into simulation mode or least still display which exit you were supposed to take

- Non-display of POIs in navigation mode.

As there are people who may agree with Garmin's thinking on all these issues, the best is to make them options to enable/disable.

Return to “SG Archives”