Which DSLR and Lens to go for?

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
edchuang (retired)
Regional Mapper (retired)
Location: Shah Alam (GMXT+i-Blue747 Logger, Holux GPSmile62 Pro)

Re: Which DSLR and Lens to go for?

Postby edchuang (retired) » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Finally settled with D90 18-105 VR Kit for a start. Just thinking of the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR could be handy for travelling shooting. Need to spend some time to get familiar with this camera before deciding on 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 lense, as the price gap is quite huge.

Thanks for all the valuable advice. :D

NoX

Postby NoX » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:32 am

edchuang wrote:Finally settled with D90 18-105 VR Kit for a start. Just thinking of the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR could be handy for travelling shooting. Need to spend some time to get familiar with this camera before deciding on 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 lense, as the price gap is quite huge.

Thanks for all the valuable advice. :D

Great choice.... :thumbsup: Its good price now...... I already have D5000 otherwise... I would go for that... only because of the price last year and before that was steep.

Next is Camera GPS.... :tease: its plug and play... for D90... Check my review on GN-1 or other make same... around same price USD 100.00

NoX
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

edchuang (retired)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:51 am

hmmmm.......GN-1.....yummy. =P~

edchuang (retired)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 am

need help.....

At the back of D90, the right handside bottom of the LCD screen, there is a selected switch, can switch to "L" or "dot". What is that for? I check check check check, read read read read the manual but still can figure out. :ko:

Appreciate.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:31 am

edchuang wrote:need help.....

At the back of D90, the right handside bottom of the LCD screen, there is a selected switch, can switch to "L" or "dot". What is that for? I check check check check, read read read read the manual but still can figure out. :ko:

Appreciate.

Bro edchuang, The focus selector lock lever shifts between L (lock) and open (the white dot).

The link below is a review of the D90. Contains a lot of info on it.
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/conten ... l-Tour.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

edchuang (retired)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Br Silverbeauty,

Thanks for the information.

If select "L", meaning the camera will focus one time while we press the shutter release half way, hold it, move to others object, the camera will be remain the focus point on initial object.

If select "white dot", the camera will continue to focus when we press the shutter release half way and move from one object to the other object.

Is my assumption correct?

Cheers.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

edchuang wrote:Br Silverbeauty,

Thanks for the information.

If select "L", meaning the camera will focus one time while we press the shutter release half way, hold it, move to others object, the camera will be remain the focus point on initial object.

If select "white dot", the camera will continue to focus when we press the shutter release half way and move from one object to the other object.

Is my assumption correct?

Cheers.

Kawan, it just a toggle switch between lock / unlock for the Big Thumb Button while shooting. Prevents accidental knock adjustment

Read this link for the in/out of D90. Better than reading the manual :thumbsup:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/us ... s-back.htm

edchuang (retired)

Postby edchuang (retired) » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:47 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Kawan, it just a toggle switch between lock / unlock for the Big Thumb Button while shooting. Prevents accidental knock adjustment

Read this link for the in/out of D90. Better than reading the manual :thumbsup:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/us ... s-back.htm

:thumbsup: Thanks Bro.

NoX

Postby NoX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 pm

check nikon digi tutorial to learn more about your new toy :mrgreen: Here
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:42 pm

edchuang wrote:need help.....

Appreciate.

Haiya manual :thumbsdown:

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”