Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Lalatbotak
Location: Seri Kembangan- Nuvi 610, Garmin etrex H,Lakatoo 1000

Re: Walkie Talkie Kakie (FRS & GMRS)

Postby Lalatbotak » Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 am

I have to go to check the model brand name and series ....tonight ....Now Iam in office..

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Mon May 31, 2010 1:12 pm

bulbasaurhamster wrote:Hi, I am from Singapore and live at Woodlands. Currently I own a Motorola FV200 FRS/GMRS 2 way radio 5mile optimum condition. I am aware that FRS radio has a maximun power output og 0.5w. However, what happens if I tune to GMRS channels? Will the power output increase or remain at 0.5w for my hybrid radio?

Next my radio is the US type that operates in the 462-461MHz. From your previous post, you has indicated that IDA Singapore does not allow such frequency to be use. But why do many people use such frequency in the city like at City Hall, Raffles Place there? Even schools are even using that frequency which I can hear on my radio.

Yeah. The FV200 is using the USA FRS/GMRS frequencies, which is illegal to use without a licence anywhere else in the world except for North America. However, it was one of the earliest to come out in such high volumes and at such cheap prices, that they are used illegally practically everywhere in Singapore & Malaysia, and I suspect in other countries too. Haha!!

FRS is limited by USA law to max 0.5W, so you are right there. GMRS has a much higher limit, but your set FV200 is the small type, and most probably is also 0.5W for the GMRS channel (Motorola does not usually give the output power for their FRS/GMRS units, so have to search hard on the Internet to get it from other sources).
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

charlize

Postby charlize » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:12 am

I have a pair of Motorola SX600 FRS/GMRS Talkabout. The distance varies a lot and I don't even know whats the average capable distance it can cover (The label said 14 miles). I used it to communicate with my wife especially at shopping malls like Suria KLCC. Anyway, if Im not mistaken Motorola operates FRS with 0.5w and GMRS with 1.0w

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 am

charlize wrote:..... Anyway, if Im not mistaken Motorola operates FRS with 0.5w and GMRS with 1.0w

The FRS is 0.5W because that is the maximum allowed by USA law. But GMRS for Motorola is not fixed at 1.0W. Depends on the set. If I remember correctly, their smaller sets (like the 5800) is only 0.5W for GMRS. I believe, some of their bigger sets like the 7200 is using 2W for GMRS.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 pm

In the Star newspaper today I saw advert "New Motorola Walkie Talkie XTR442 2 Way" Intro price RM398 was RM448.
Any comments or advice from sifu here?

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:29 pm

tuah wrote:In the Star newspaper today I saw advert "New Motorola Walkie Talkie XTR442 2 Way" Intro price RM398 was RM448.
Any comments or advice from sifu here?

Hmm.... I didn't see that advert. Anyway, I tried to Google XTR442 as well as Motorola XTR442, but nothing related to Walkie Talkie.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

Forteowner

Postby Forteowner » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Need some experts advice on Motorola T5720 as just bought few sets with friends an intended to use it during convoy and have tested that the range is not as it's claims on the distance kind of disappointed..

Any way to rectified this issue.. :tq:

Thks,

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 pm

Forteowner wrote:Need some experts advice on Motorola T5720 as just bought few sets with friends an intended to use it during convoy and have tested that the range is not as it's claims on the distance kind of disappointed..

Any way to rectified this issue.. :tq:

Thks,

The T5720 is a medium range model which I liked very much when I was using in the USA. Nice to hold and it uses AA batteries (instead of AAA). Good clear voice. The main thing here is to set your expectation correctly. If you want to use it in a convoy of 3 or 4 cars, then this model is quite enough (at least the sets I was using a few years ago). Can talk from first to last car (about 1km). If you need more than that, then the best way would be to use the PTT over cellular. I would not recommend using the high wattage walkie talkies if you want to chit-chat. Remember that for handphones with 100mW power, people are already so concerned about the effects on the body and the brain. Just imagine using the walkie talkie and pumping out 2W or even 5W of Radio Frequency energy right in front of your face. Just imagine how many brain cells die. If I were to use high power, I would prefer to make sure it is connected to an external aerial. Then, the roof and body of the car can shield me from the RF power.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

Forteowner

Postby Forteowner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:28 am

Thks,[/b][/quote]
The T5720 is a medium range model which I liked very much when I was using in the USA. Nice to hold and it uses AA batteries (instead of AAA). Good clear voice. The main thing here is to set your expectation correctly. If you want to use it in a convoy of 3 or 4 cars, then this model is quite enough (at least the sets I was using a few years ago). Can talk from first to last car (about 1km). If you need more than that, then the best way would be to use the PTT over cellular. I would not recommend using the high wattage walkie talkies if you want to chit-chat. Remember that for handphones with 100mW power, people are already so concerned about the effects on the body and the brain. Just imagine using the walkie talkie and pumping out 2W or even 5W of Radio Frequency energy right in front of your face. Just imagine how many brain cells die. If I were to use high power, I would prefer to make sure it is connected to an external aerial. Then, the roof and body of the car can shield me from the RF power.[/quote]

Thanks for the info and is there anyway that we can improve the distance..?

Does changing to other channel and code helps..?

Was thinking of trading it for a KW tk3107 and is this unit reliable and read from the thread that some call it clonewood meaning to say is not ori or fake..?

thanks for the input as am still in a very beginner stage..

Cheers, :tq:

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Postby cwyap » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Forteowner wrote:Thanks for the info and is there anyway that we can improve the distance..?

Does changing to other channel and code helps..?

Was thinking of trading it for a KW tk3107 and is this unit reliable and read from the thread that some call it clonewood meaning to say is not ori or fake..?

Nothing much you can do to improve the transmission range of Motorola T5720. Though rated 5-miles, it's on the basis of straight line of sight & with qualified conditions. Maybe out in the open sea you can hit the max. range. I tried in jungle (not thick jungle but the trail to Sg Lepok waterfall in Ulu Langat) - max. maybe 200 metres.

On car convoy - roughly 500 metres apart ok. But once you turn into a corner, those behind you won't be able to communicate with you.

Changing channels or codes will not help.

You can try the Puxing PX777 5W walkie-talkies. Much better than the Kenwood TK1307. The PX777 is a programmable unit (but subject to certain range of frequency) and it can hit as far as 10km in KL even with tall buildings around if you turn it to 5W though not recommended as legal licence free use of the PRS frequencies in Malaysia is only limited to 0.5W. Of course there is nothing to stop you from using the 5W transmission but if you get caught, a hefty fine awaits you.
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”