When You've Got More Time Than Money...

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
zamad
Valued Contributor

When You've Got More Time Than Money...

Postby zamad » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:27 pm

I got frustrated trying to capture images for the Junction View project, when the images that was produced were full of reflection, while some were blur due to camera shake. To cut off reflection, a polarising filter would suit the job. Searching through the Net, I found some which cost about RM46. So I decided to make one. :D

Got a pair of el-cheapo polarising clip-ons from My**n for RM7.90. The other stuff used were scissors, box cutter, cardboard, tape and hot-glue gun.

Directions:
1. With the cardboard, roll it into a tube and make sure it fits snuggly on the protruded lens barrel, then tape to secure it.
2. Slit one end all around, then fold it out (like petals on a flower). Shorten the tube (if necessary) by cutting the other end. Make sure that the tube doesn't obstruct the light path of the camera lens.
3. Carefully remove one polarising piece from the clip-on.
4. With a hot glue gun, place a drop of glue at each 'petal', then quickly fix the polarising piece with the concave surface fixed to the 'petals'.
5. Trim the edges with scissors. If you have a craft file, file the edges. Otherwise, a nail file (from the nail clipper) would do.

To use, just slide the polarising filter onto the extended lens barrel, then rotate it until reflections are cut off. If your tube snuggly fits onto the barrel, it will not fall off. The shortfall of using a polarising lens is that you'd probably lose 1 f-stop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

sandmanz
Contributor

Re: When You've Got More Time Then Money...

Postby sandmanz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:35 pm

:thumbsup: for creativity =D>
Did the unwanted reflections gone with the new filter? Do post the results for all to see.
:rox:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Re: When You've Got More Time Then Money...

Postby fruitplus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 pm

:good: bro zamad...
Do post some test photo to see :thumbsup:
Past + Present = Future

zamad
Valued Contributor

Re: When You've Got More Time Than Money...

Postby zamad » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Some test shots taken with and without the polarising filter. O:) playing hide-and-seek!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm

zamad wrote:Some test shots taken with and without the polarising filter. O:) playing hide-and-seek!

Very nice bro zamad!!! :champ:
:good:
Wanna make 1 for me lor
Past + Present = Future

sandmanz
Contributor

Postby sandmanz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

=P~ :thumbsup: =D> =D> =D>
:good: :rox:
"Be the change you want to see in the world"

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

:tq: Can make some more... but cannot send. Postage more expensive than material cost!

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 pm

:good: on the DIY project, and I also notice your Smartag bracket is DIY too. :thumbsup:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

fruitplus
Polygon Mapper

Postby fruitplus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 am

zamad wrote::tq: Can make some more... but cannot send. Postage more expensive than material cost!

Can meet up you bro zamad..hehehe
Past + Present = Future

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:09 pm

zamad wrote:Some test shots taken with and without the polarising filter. O:) playing hide-and-seek!

I'm impressed !

you the man ! :thumbsup:
:prayer: :prayer:
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”