GN-1 Geotagger - A First Hand Review

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
NoX

GN-1 Geotagger - A First Hand Review

Postby NoX » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm

I have been Geotagging photos for some time with my iBlue 747 GPS data logger and also my Nuvi can do it, however this require some work on the PC and if many photos are taken it will be some chore to do.

So I decide to purchase a dedicated Geotagger for my Nikon D5000, ordered last week and after 10 days its in my mail box all the way from Hong Kong, I ordered it from : Here and it cost me USD 100.00 inclusive postage paid by PayPal.

The package is small, and inside it is the GPS, a cable for connecting it to the camera a Canon type shutter release thrown in the deal and a pouch. The GPS is tiny and weight almost nothing.

As photo below, it fit to the hot shoe, slight problem there it block the pop up flash. A USB extension cable should fix this or a something that hold it to the strap may do same job, but thats only if you want to use flash to fill in your shots or at night. Worst case you can let it dangle on the cable.

On this D5000 the port for GPS are covered by a common cover for other port and located top most lefthand side. Its a bit awkward since the port cover is always open. However during shooting it doesn't cause any problem since my left hand is on the lens. But with that cover always open I afraid the plastic hinge may get damage.

The cable also need to have a 180 degrees loop as seen in picture, this is because Nikon D90 and D5000 share the same connector but due to Nikon ultimate wisdom, the D90 port located at the bottom left hand and individually covered and at a 180 degrees away orientation to the D5000. Since the D90 was out first, the cable was made for it. On another note Nikon GP-1 have a straight connector, which protrude out a lot, so others maker produce an elbow connector which is better, then Nikon throw a bomb on the D5000 they make it 180 away making the elbow connector twisted 180, and theirs stay the same- Thank You Nikon... Maybe a new connector is in the making for the 5000.

You will need to manually switches the GPS OFF since once connected it will be powered by the camera, not much just about 30 mA so that equate to about 10% of battery drain the most. I got 1000 shot on this camera, so OK I now got 900 from a charge.

Power ON it took about 30 second to get a GPS lock, that's fast for a first time from the box so Cold start about 30 second. Hot start is almost instantaneous, you blink and its lock. The GPS indicated in the screen will blink if no lock is obtain and becomes steady as its lock.

GPS data can be obtain from menu at GPS selection it will give Latitude, Longitude, Altitude and UTC, the Heading is blank due this GN-1 do not have a compass build in, than it will be more expensive. The Nikon GP-1 cost 3x this unit and still don't have Heading, so its ok.

On exif file you can get the GPS information recorded inclusive the UTC time. On Irfanview it also enable a link to be open by Google Earth or that GeoHack Wiki something, which I don't have a clue what it does. On Google Earth its easy enough it will put a location pin on where you take the photo.

The manufacturer also make cables for existing GPS that have serial output to be hook up to Nikon cameras, you can check their web site if you need any.

Below specification of the GN-1 Geotagger

For other Nikon

I only have the unit for a few hours, and testing few shots on it. Will write more as time goes by.

NoX
Last edited by NoX on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Re: GN-1 Geotagger - A First Hand Review

Postby tuah » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Bro nox, I see some roads near Bukit Subang still don't have road name in the map :mrgreen:

sunn
Senior Mapper
Location: Shah Alam (HP4150 & SIRF3 BT, HP6515, Etrex Legend HCX, Omnia i900 16GB, Samsung Note 2, Ipad 2

Postby sunn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:22 pm

It would be good for JV photos too.
It is a merit to forgive others:
The more we forgive the more merit we collect.

(Upload your contribution to MFM drop box if you don't want others to take your contributed tracklogs or POIs. )

NoX

Postby NoX » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:47 pm

sunn wrote:It would be good for JV photos too.

I think so too, will check guidelines for JV. Will geotag photo only be acceptable... :-?

NoX
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”