iPhone 4 The top 5 reasons to buy (or not to buy) !!!

Discussions on cameras, handphones, torchlights and your other hobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discussions on gadgets only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
lls
Valued Contributor

Re: iPhone 4 The top 5 reasons to buy (or not to buy) !!!

Postby lls » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:11 am

SOSweet wrote:No matter how superior the product can be, I will not buy because it is made by Foxconn. :thumbsdown:

Why you say that... :-k
Navigate Confidence with mfm

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:35 am

lls wrote:
SOSweet wrote:No matter how superior the product can be, I will not buy because it is made by Foxconn. :thumbsdown:

Because of this ..........

Sorce : Forbes
Author : Lee Gomes
Dated : 06.08.10
Link : http://www.forbes.com/2010/06/08/apple- ... orySection

Foxconn Technology Group, the beleaguered Chinese electronics manufacturer, appears to be learning the game of worldwide public relations, but only in fits and starts.

The company has been at the center of a global controversy that began with reports of suicides at the vast factory towns where the company makes iPhones and other familiar pieces of consumer electronics from the world's leading tech companies. Chinese labor activists say the company has a poor record on issues like mandatory unpaid overtime. The issue is embarrassing for the companies that have manufacturing contracts with Foxconn, including the likes of Apple ( AAPL - news - people ), Hewlett-Packard ( HPQ - news - people ) and Dell ( DELL - news - people ).

In an effort at staunching the bad publicity, Foxconn has announced that the workers in its Shenzhen plant will be getting a 70% wage increase over the next three months. Foxconn said it would be renegotiating its contracts in order to pay for the raises.

The announcement was generally regarded as a step forward. Not so Foxconn's other change to its labor policies. From now on, the company said, it will no longer compensate the families of employees who kill themselves.

Foxconn had been paying the equivalent of $14,600 to the surviving relatives of employees who take their lives. Many workers are from poor, rural parts of China, and the company said the employees were killing themselves so their families could have the money. Stopping the payments could cut back on suicides, the company said; critics quickly called the decision cold and heartless.

Foxconn is owned by Taiwanese billionaire Terry Gou.

lls
Valued Contributor

Postby lls » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:05 am

silverbeauty wrote:
lls wrote:

Because of this ..........

Foxconn Technology Group, the beleaguered Chinese electronics manufacturer, appears to be learning the game of worldwide public relations, but only in fits and starts.

The company has been at the center of a global controversy that began with reports of suicides at the vast factory towns where the company makes iPhones and other familiar pieces of consumer electronics from the world's leading tech companies. Chinese labor activists say the company has a poor record on issues like mandatory unpaid overtime. The issue is embarrassing for the companies that have manufacturing contracts with Foxconn, including the likes of Apple ( AAPL - news - people ), Hewlett-Packard ( HPQ - news - people ) and Dell ( DELL - news - people ).

In an effort at staunching the bad publicity, Foxconn has announced that the workers in its Shenzhen plant will be getting a 70% wage increase over the next three months. Foxconn said it would be renegotiating its contracts in order to pay for the raises.

The announcement was generally regarded as a step forward. Not so Foxconn's other change to its labor policies. From now on, the company said, it will no longer compensate the families of employees who kill themselves.

Foxconn had been paying the equivalent of $14,600 to the surviving relatives of employees who take their lives. Many workers are from poor, rural parts of China, and the company said the employees were killing themselves so their families could have the money. Stopping the payments could cut back on suicides, the company said; critics quickly called the decision cold and heartless.

OIC, i had heard that news before from tv. But bro SOSweet, most of the branded phone like nokia & sonyericsson also made by Foxconn... what do you thinks :-k
Navigate Confidence with mfm

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 am

lls wrote:

silverbeauty wrote:Because of this ..........

lls wrote:OIC, i had heard that news before from tv. But bro SOSweet, most of the branded phone like nokia & sonyericsson also made by Foxconn... what do you thinks :-k

Yup, it's not fair to say that because almost All IT company manufacturer in taiwan & china get some peripheral from Foxconn,
maybe 90% of Motherboard companies made by FoxConn to OEM their sub part..
I always seen the foxconn plastic slot at any brand of motherboard & phone like asus,abit,msi,gigabyte,acer,compaq etc..etc...
I would to say "there is no companies in the world today to have own 100% self manufacturing", they all share the work with other companies to OEM it,

so, what brand of your computer & phone what are you using currently ? :D
:lol: :lol:
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 pm

I don't think I will buy the iPhone OS4, not because of the issues highlighted on Foxconn but because I don't think I need the new hardware on the phone. The only thing that is of interest in the new hardware are (1) better antenna (2) 5 megapixel camera (3) forward facing 2 mega-pixel camera for video conferencing (but only on wi-fi - so not much use) (4) better screen resolution. Other up-grades are more on the OS itself like multi-tasking. But then all iPhone 3GS are entitled for free upgrade from OS 3.1.3 to OS4 anyway. Then again if you up-grade to OS4, you will lose the jailbreak, so I will hold back until some one jail-breaks OS4
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:48 pm

aikliang wrote:I don't think I will buy the iPhone OS4, not because of the issues highlighted on Foxconn but because I don't think I need the new hardware on the phone. The only thing that is of interest in the new hardware are (1) better antenna (2) 5 megapixel camera (3) forward facing 2 mega-pixel camera for video conferencing (but only on wi-fi - so not much use) (4) better screen resolution. Other up-grades are more on the OS itself like multi-tasking. But then all iPhone 3GS are entitled for free upgrade from OS 3.1.3 to OS4 anyway. Then again if you up-grade to OS4, you will lose the jailbreak, so I will hold back until some one jail-breaks OS4

what ever, every OS have a shortage of cranny..
then somebody sometime will jailbreak with SSH..

i think the insteresting iPhone issue is not Foxconn's employe suicide at their office, but
why the iphone 4 released this year it was interested story.. :-k
iphone 4 model should be launch for next year at 2011 but of negligence of junior mac enginer it self
Gray Powell left the prototype iphone 4 on the club. Found by Gizmodo and publish it to the world,

that's make stevejob forced on to release now.. :lol:
fear of other competitors' stolen its model to be .. :mrgreen:

here the true story behind:

http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lo ... ext-iphone
http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

:lol: :lol: :lol:
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Inggo wrote:so, what brand of your computer & phone what are you using currently ? :D
:lol: :lol:

Senior citizen like me use a cheapo gu chin gu lak Samsung to receive call and SMS; no surfing and watching video. :tease:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

Redstorm
Contributor

Postby Redstorm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:24 pm

The smartphone market is not just about iPhone, lah. I think it is overhyped. The Android OS phones are catching up real fast and the current top smartphones are both Android phones - the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire, which are rated better than the iPhone 3Gs. Not just DESIRE for one, but I am lusting for it. =P~ =P~ :mrgreen: Lets see how these 2 phones stacked up against the iPhone 4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Free beer tomorrow!ImageImage

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Redstorm wrote:The smartphone market is not just about iPhone, lah. I think it is overhyped. The Android OS phones are catching up real fast and the current top smartphones are both Android phones - the Samsung Galaxy S and HTC Desire, which are rated better than the iPhone 3Gs. Not just DESIRE for one, but I am lusting for it. =P~ =P~ :mrgreen: Lets see how these 2 phones stacked up against the iPhone 4.

some things in life, better does not mean most popular.

You go ask another school kids or young adults what phone they desire most, the answer is obvious. The Iphone may not be the best, in fact it has alot of constraints like not supporting Java, but it still sells more than any other brands.

Few months back I was shopping for a phone, and got myself a Samsung Jet, even the salesperson asked why not a Iphone, The other counters, customers, including senior citizens were all buying Iphone.

Another example is the mp3 player. Creative mp3 players have more features like FM, and much cheaper but why Ipod has captured more than 70% of the market share in mp3 player ?

the hip and cool factor that Apple has built, whatever rubbish they dish out, people will buy, like the Ipad :mrgreen:
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 pm

you are right... Apple user's eyes only sees APPLE.

I was once Apple Maniac too. Took me 5 years to divorce apple... Its like getting rid of heroin.

Return to “Other Gadgets & Hobbies”