Mt Merapi in Central Java

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
naim

Mt Merapi in Central Java

Postby naim » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 am

My latest story is on Mt Merapi, the active volcano in Central Java. Pls visit my site:

http://m.naim.my/on-the-black-slope-of-mt-merapi/

Thanks!

===
Pls see my travelogues at http://naim.my - THANKS!

mfmuser

Re: Mt Merapi in Central Java

Postby mfmuser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:17 am

:shock: :cry: :prayer:

stimix

Postby stimix » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Going there nxt mth.. \:D/
ImageImage
ImageImage

naim

Postby naim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 pm

stimix wrote:Going there nxt mth.. \:D/

Go now while the volcano disaster is still evident. Of course you must also visit Prambanan, Borobodur, and do a day trip to the Dieng Plateau. For transport, can contact Mr Budi (SMS cell: +62.81.2295.3920) -- good rate, knowledgeable friendly driver, efficient. :)

stimix

Postby stimix » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 pm

OK sure. Daing plateu one of my itineraries too..I prefer car without driver..wondering they have such car rental there?
ImageImage
ImageImage

naim

Postby naim » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:54 am

stimix wrote:OK sure. Daing plateu one of my itineraries too..I prefer car without driver..wondering they have such car rental there?

Not advisable, Indonesia as a whole not really a self-drive country. Minimal road signs, bad roads, bad traffic, only locals know what to do. In the Merapi/Dieng area, locals are alert to weather conditions which can easily cause land/mudslide. If stopped by police, better prepare your USD, they love foreigners. If got into accident in the villages, you are in deep shit. Whole day (with petrol & driver) only costs about RM160. The driver are good guides as well.

naim

Postby naim » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Located on the 2100-metre high Dieng Plateau, some 120km northwest of Jogjakarta in Central Java, Indonesia, this volcanic crater features an extremely hot bubbling pool, spewing clouds of gases including hydrogen sulphide. Is there an underground magma chamber here, just like at Yellowstone?

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvTUGb_NhS4

===

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 pm

naim wrote:For transport, can contact Mr Budi (SMS cell: +62.81.2295.3920) -- good rate, knowledgeable friendly driver, efficient. :)

Terimah Kaseh Naim :thumbsup: ... I will have it saved for a future need when heading that venue.
Image ~ Cruiser ~

aseajon

Postby aseajon » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Oh my God!

I have seen the photos that you had uploaded and it was a total bombshell! What happened to the Forest of Mt. Merapi? I've felt sad after I saw those pictures. Does the government of Java did not happen to implement the law of illegal logging? Reforestation is a big NO! It wold cause floods and land deformation on the area and the residents around it would be affected.

I hope that the government of Central Java would take the necessary actions.

* deleted* No commercials allowed [-X

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 pm

aseajon wrote:Oh my God!

I have seen the photos that you had uploaded and it was a total bombshell! What happened to the Forest of Mt. Merapi? I've felt sad after I saw those pictures. Does the government of Java did not happen to implement the law of illegal logging? Reforestation is a big NO! It wold cause floods and land deformation on the area and the residents around it would be affected.

I hope that the government of Central Java would take the necessary actions.

One can only assume despite global monitoring on regional Govts who continue to turn a blind eye esp. when political interests are involved with economical ambitions from the corrupted officials in high offices and Indonesia is by far no exception, on the contrary... most notorious on corruption issues.

However, little blame can be attributed to the immediate residents for want of their simplified habitats and survival but given extra coverage to increase their awareness... I'm sure they will go as far as to take up arms to stop this forestry abuse and manipulation of their livelihood which means all too much for their traits, trade and existence!

Only the residents living there can decide whats best to address and how to in dealing this devastation partly caused by manmade disregard to nature.
Image ~ Cruiser ~

Return to “Holiday & Travel”