Darjeeling

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
naim

Re: Darjeeling

Postby naim » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 am

In the town of Ghum, the little Himalayan 'Toy Train' virtually runs 'in' the market. Out of the way!

A little girl can't stand the noise of the Toy Train as it virtually passes at her house's doorstep. The Toy Train runs on a very narrow 2-metre-gauge track.

Hiking through the Darjeeling Hills, I am stunned to find this building in the middle of nowhere. St Joseph's is a Jesuit private school founded in 1888. On a clear day, you should see the Mt Kanchengunga in the background. I'm unlucky!

After walking alone for 6km in the Darjeeling Hills, I find myself in a beautiful valley of living tea. If the weather is nicer, there should be a backdrop of the high Himalaya mountains, esp. Kanchenjunga. What a shame.

After 8km, I am in this village in the Darjeeling Hills with the narrow lane sometimes going at 30° gradient. Aching legs remind me of my 2007 Mt Kinabalu climb (I was a youth back then), and fearful that I might take a wrong turn, I ask a lady for directions. Go straight ahead with confidence and you'll get to Chowrasta ... by the way you look like an Indian, she says!

A good representation of the Darjeeling ladies -- roundish face, chinese-like eyes, fair skin, rosy cheeks, long straight black hair, full lips ...

===
Pls see my travelogues at http://naim.my - THANKS!

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:peace: :champ:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
speechless..

=P~
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Uncle,... why is the Representative of the Darjeeling ladies still in her nightgown? You woke her up for this shot... is it? :mrgreen:

Good work and good descriptions of the scene.... :good: :tq:
Common Sense Is Not Common.

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:49 pm

naim wrote:A little girl can't stand the noise of the Toy Train as it virtually passes at her house's doorstep. The Toy Train runs on a very narrow 2-metre-gauge track.

I think you meant 2-foot-gauge track, right? That is only about 0.6 metres.

Actually, at this width, I guess the carriages must also be very narrow, right? Otherwise the carriage will topple. Do you have a shot of the inside seating configuration of the carriage you were in (the one where the jeepney girl showed you her licking skills)? :) KTM carriages have two seats on each side with aisle in the middle. This one must be having one seat on each side with middle aisle, right? Just guessing.

naim wrote:A good representation of the Darjeeling ladies -- roundish face, chinese-like eyes, fair skin, rosy cheeks, long straight black hair, full lips ...

Looks like she has her bindi right on her hairline. Is that the way with the other women you saw in Darjeeling?
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

Return to “Holiday & Travel”