Norway, Oct 2011

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: Norway, Oct 2011

Postby moeyhc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Not fair.... you've seen it in North America and now again in Norway... Next time bring me along.... I wanna see it too.... :mrgreen:
Common Sense Is Not Common.

naim

Postby naim » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:27 am

Oct 13 - Part 2

Past the town of Ål, the Bergen Railway climbs with more snow along the way.

At the top of the climb, a majestic view of a classic U-shape glacial valley complete with a lake, a common feature in southwestern Norway.

Next stop is Geilo, a town with 2500 people at an altitude of 800m. Famous for skiing in winter, but no snow here at the station yet. It serves the Hallingskarvet mountain plateau which is almost 2000m above sea level.

Clear blue sky, which means it's freezing out there, as a well-insulated family bids farewell to dad. Oslo is 245km behind us, Bergen slightly less.

Soon after Geilo, more glacial lakes ...

... dotted with villages.

As we climb higher ...

... the snow-line drops to the lake surface.

Now the whole ground is covered with snow.

The rail track snakes along valleys, so too the major roads.

Spectacular snow, mountains and lake formation.

Partially frozen lake.

Fully frozen lake and another village.

There must be a road down there.

From the comfort of our coach, we absorb the fantastic scenery in the very cold world out there -- the whole landscape is just rock, a result of the huge glaciers of the last Ice Age.

More frozen lake.

This looks like a summer holiday house, or something. It's hard to imagine people living there in the cold wilderness right now.

The snow is at its max as we pull into Finse.

At 1222.2m above sea-level, Finse is the highest train station in the whole of Norway. There's a major Alpine research centre here with a glacier nearby.

It's a focal point for cross-country skiing.

They must be happy to see trains passing by. Finse can only be reached by rail, there are no roads connecting it.

Finse is also famous, thanks to Star Wars -- this is the place where they shot ice planet Hoth in 'Empire Strikes Back', way back in 1979.

Minus the houses, ice planet Hoth indeed.

Whenever I use a train, I like to check the lavatory out. This one is top notch. It's comfy and functional, everything is in its place.

The train passes through countless 'tunnels' which are actually housings against snow, rocks and avalanches. Looking back at a curve I spot one we have just passed through.

Some 4:30hrs after leaving Oslo we arrive at Myrdal, a junction in the desolate rocky mountains.

Here we disembark from the Bergen Railway in the bitter cold, to catch the train to the left.

Yes, we are catching the famous Flåm Railway, which will descend 860m all the way down to sea level at a fjord, along a steep 20km track.

The beautiful Bergen Railway leaves, and we are full of anticipation as the locomotive rumbles along.

The start of another memorable train ride ... the Flåmsbana!

===
Pls see my travelogues at http://naim.my - THANKS!

naim

Postby naim » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:28 pm

Oct 13 - Part 3

Myrdal to Flåm

At freezing Myrdal station, 866m above sea level, we continue with our Norway-in-a-Nutshell excursion by changing from the Bergen Railway we boarded earlier this morning in Oslo, to the Flåm Railway (Flåmsbana).

The coach is gorgeous, esp. with the wooden panelling. Flåmsbana started service in 1941 using the standard 1435mm gauge. One of Norway’s most popular attractions, it carries some 600,000 passengers per year, mainly tourists. Virtually all the passengers on this train today are fellow travellers. There are three Thais from Bangkok in our coach, and they carry huge bags which they have to lug around. One tip when doing this excursion — be as light as possible!

There are many hamlets along the route, as the train descends 860m in just 20km of track, which makes a loop just below Myrdal — a technique used to lose or gain altitude quickly and safely, as the train travels the steep mountains. I saw a similar trick when riding the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway last April (see HERE).

Soon after leaving Myrdal, the train descends into the huge Flåmsdalen valley, with towering granite cliffs and numerous waterfalls. It’s sub-zero, so the splattered water forms white ice at the bottom.

Please continue the story at: http://m.naim.my/norway-in-a-nutshell-myrdal-to-flam/

===

raclette

Postby raclette » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:29 pm

ahh, flambana & myrdal. used to do that last 3 years when i was still a student in europe. that trip is my best trip ever :thumbsup: was there during summer so the view was quite different from your pics :)

did you stop by the kjosfossen?

Myrdal in summer :)

hwangwk
Contributor

Postby hwangwk » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Norway is beautiful.... :)

naim

Postby naim » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 pm

All 10 stories on Norway are compiled here. Pls visit, thanks!

http://m.naim.my/norway-oct-2011-collection-of-stories/

===

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks for sharing. Good trip and beautiful pictures... :thumbsup:
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Lalatbotak
Location: Seri Kembangan- Nuvi 610, Garmin etrex H,Lakatoo 1000

Postby Lalatbotak » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Agree!!