Garmin maps for Hokkaido,. Japan for use on Nuvi...??

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ianchong48

Garmin maps for Hokkaido,. Japan for use on Nuvi...??

Postby ianchong48 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi guys,

Am hoping to do a Hokkaido "drive-eat-drive-eat" trip very soon but I can't figure out where to get NUVI maps in English covering Hokkaido. I know Japanese GPS sets provided by car rentals/travel companies have Japanese language maps loaded; been told that English maps are not available. Is this true?

I was originally assuming that any maps for Garmin sets could be loaded into my GPS and because my Nuvi 1490 already uses English, it should be ok. But what bout the POI's which are also needed?

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ian

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin maps for Hokkaido,. Japan for use on Nuvi...??

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm

ianchong48 wrote:Hi guys,

Am hoping to do a Hokkaido "drive-eat-drive-eat" trip very soon but I can't figure out where to get NUVI maps in English covering Hokkaido. I know Japanese GPS sets provided by car rentals/travel companies have Japanese language maps loaded; been told that English maps are not available. Is this true?

I was originally assuming that any maps for Garmin sets could be loaded into my GPS and because my Nuvi 1490 already uses English, it should be ok. But what bout the POI's which are also needed?

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ian

Try this http://uud.info/en/map/

ianchong48

Postby ianchong48 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:24 pm

@silverbeauty: Thanks for the lead - very informative.

Impression I get fm UUD"s specs is that their different 'address search' basis (due to Japanese addressing conventions) and the obviously numerous non-routable streets/lanes in the maps will very likely mean relying and use of these GPS maps will be somewhat frustrating (..to say the least ..) for someone not already familiar with local conditions. But that is the only game in town - no other options. So looks like I'm gonna bite after all ... [-o<

baba

Postby baba » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:51 pm

ianchong48 wrote:@silverbeauty: Thanks for the lead - very informative.

Impression I get fm UUD"s specs is that their different 'address search' basis (due to Japanese addressing conventions) and the obviously numerous non-routable streets/lanes in the maps will very likely mean relying and use of these GPS maps will be somewhat frustrating (..to say the least ..) for someone not already familiar with local conditions. But that is the only game in town - no other options. So looks like I'm gonna bite after all ... [-o<

I had been using this map fr uud for 5yrs driving from Chiba-Tokyo-Osaka-Hiroshima-all around Kyushu Island...no problem at all but most of the time I pre-planned my trip using mapsource so that I will not miss any place that I want to make a stop while on the journey.

My trip from Chiba to Kitakyushu on Kyushu island alone is about 1200km

SilantRa

Postby SilantRa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:45 pm

when i was in japan i dont sempat to get japan map...so my garmin and papago have no go..
out of curiosity i tried google map on my andriod... of course i had a data plan and i works like a charm...

we drove almost kyushu island... from kitakyusu to fukuoka to kumamoto and kagoshima... and google map is in english... we did lost a bit but frankly speaking, the best direction telling device is still human... just stop by at highway rnr or nearest police station and ask the good japanese people..the catch was to get any japs that can speak english (or malay...) .. hahaha...

simple nihon go class " kagoshima doko desuka?? - where is kagoshima?? although its is not complete way of asking direction but for a foreigner and alien in japan, that works ... get a paper and ask them to write..

just to share... hehe... i missed Kitakyushu...........
Garmin nüvi® 2465 SG/MY
Garmin Mobile XT on Nokia 3310 flash ROM with Symbian S60 .. :rolleyes:

:rox:

Return to “Holiday & Travel”