Garmin Travel Guide

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin Travel Guide

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:48 am

cruxader wrote:

I downloaded the Expo Guide to use with my Venus China map.
While the Venus maps worked fine in my Mal/SG 1250, the Expo Guide does not!

Please be aware that the Expo Guide only works with a true China GPS.
On mine, it claims I am in the Spanish pavilion when I am standing on the rooftop garden of the Singapore pavilion!

Be warned!

It has nothing to do with the Garmin travel guide as it only piggy back onto an existing Garmin Map of region of interest, in this case the China Map.

It is a known issue that China maps have offset "embedded" thus the discrepancy in POI accuracy.

Localized China GPS unlike globalized units have "offset" correction embedded in their firmware to compensate for this
This is only confined to Nuvis NOT handhelds.

I think newer Garmin Nuvi globalized sets have this embedded but cannot confirm but I do know Taiwan localized Nuvi sets works fine in Mainland China.

cruxader

Postby cruxader » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:29 am

silverbeauty wrote:
cruxader wrote:

I downloaded the Expo Guide to use with my Venus China map.
While the Venus maps worked fine in my Mal/SG 1250, the Expo Guide does not!

On mine, it claims I am in the Spanish pavilion when I am standing on the rooftop garden of the Singapore pavilion!

Be warned!

It has nothing to do with the Garmin travel guide as it only piggy back onto an existing Garmin Map of region of interest, in this case the China Map.

It is a known issue that China maps have offset "embedded" thus the discrepancy in POI accuracy.

Localized China GPS unlike globalized units have "offset" correction embedded in their firmware to compensate for this
This is only confined to Nuvis NOT handhelds.

I think newer Garmin Nuvi globalized sets have this embedded but cannot confirm but I do know Taiwan localized Nuvi sets works fine in Mainland China.

I do know about the 'China offset', Hence my use of the Venus modified maps for China.

However, please bear in mind that this TravelGuide was posted in a Singapore Garmin website ==> obviously intended for use by Mal/Sing nuvi owners.
I am just highlighting that it is misleading in that context.

If it was posted in the China or Taiwan website (in fact there is an expo2010 guide in the Taiwan site), I would have no problem with the offset requirement.

Can you clarify the last statement?
Do you mean that Handhelds (aka PDA/Smartphones) can handle the offset?

waypoint
Valued Contributor

Postby waypoint » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:01 pm

*ENVY* That you're able to find out on the ground itself! =)

cruxader wrote:

Be warned!
http://twitter.com/waypoint12xl
"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
"I honestly don't care if you think I'm crazy. You're probably just a figment of my imagination anyway." - Unknown

cruxader

Postby cruxader » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:12 pm

waypoint wrote:*ENVY* That you're able to find out on the ground itself! =)

cruxader wrote:

Be warned!

Hmmm....

After spending 5 full days at the Expo, I am not so sure there is anything to envy!
My feet are in open rebellion!
For once, I am stuck in a hptel where I could not walk down to a foot reflexology shop!

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:29 pm

cruxader wrote:

I do know about the 'China offset', Hence my use of the Venus modified maps for China.

However, please bear in mind that this TravelGuide was posted in a Singapore Garmin website ==> obviously intended for use by Mal/Sing nuvi owners.
I am just highlighting that it is misleading in that context.

If it was posted in the China or Taiwan website (in fact there is an expo2010 guide in the Taiwan site), I would have no problem with the offset requirement.

Can you clarify the last statement?
Do you mean that Handhelds (aka PDA/Smartphones) can handle the offset?

I am not in a position to comment on what was posted in Garmin website and what is the actual situation.

I am posting to share what I experience when I travel to China. I, like you found out the hard way that our Global, non-localized China Nuvis does not provide accurate navigational routing. Thus I had to trade in my global Nuvi for a Taiwan Nuvi so I can use it there.

My apologies for not being clearer in my last statement. For GARMIN handheld GPS, as far as I know to date, ALL are not usable for accurate navigation in China. The offset correction is only implemented in Nuvi models.

For GMXT used in PDA/SmartPhone, you need to put an "offset" correction file for it to work.

cruxader

Postby cruxader » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:22 pm

silverbeauty wrote:I am not in a position to comment on what was posted in Garmin website and what is the actual situation.

I am posting to share what I experience when I travel to China. I, like you found out the hard way that our Global, non-localized China Nuvis does not provide accurate navigational routing. Thus I had to trade in my global Nuvi for a Taiwan Nuvi so I can use it there.

My apologies for not being clearer in my last statement. For GARMIN handheld GPS, as far as I know to date, ALL are not usable for accurate navigation in China. The offset correction is only implemented in Nuvi models.

For GMXT used in PDA/SmartPhone, you need to put an "offset" correction file for it to work.

My comment was targeted at Garmin SG for their inconsiderate posting of a TravelGuide that would not work with their Mal/SG customer's units. Kinda pointless.

Thanks for the clarification on the handheld situation.

As of this year, the appearance of Venus maps (offset correct version of official maps) has made life a lot easier for us global nuvi owners! It was great, except the details at the expo itself was lacking and some of the newest roads (opened in 2010) were kinda missing bits. But it was generally very useful.

deepak

Postby deepak » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:12 pm

** deleted **

Its very useful for us from this we find everything whatever we want...
Thanks for the post.....

Bro deepak, this is your final warning, you can post but with NO ads [-X

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:32 pm

silverbeauty wrote:The offset correction is only implemented in Nuvi models.

Hmm.... I don't quite understand the logic of the "offset". If the offset is an open secret and can even be made into an "offset" correction file, then what security purpose does the offset serve? I am sure all the map makers can remove the offset in their maps with one touch of a button (well... not exactly one touch lah).

Does anyone know if this "offset" has something more to it that will actually protect a building from GPS-guided missle?
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

Return to “Holiday & Travel”