Trip to Northern Vietnam

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
trekker1
Valued Contributor

Re: Trip to Northern Vietnam

Postby trekker1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:02 pm

antyong wrote:Bro, any picture of scenery around Sapa? How is the natural scenery?

Sapa is a tourist area, more or less like our Cameron Highland. The good thing is that Sapa is very much less polluted compare to Cameron, and definitely it is not as commercialized as Cameron Highland. Still there is not much of Natural scenery that I can see, most of the land are cultivated, I saw mostly are terraced padi fields.
Here are some photos....

cheers..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by trekker1 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

trekker1
Valued Contributor

Postby trekker1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Bro trekker1, thanks for sharing your trip photos.

In one of set of photos #7, is that guy selling rats caught in the field for meals :-k :shock:

I think these are called bamboo rats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_rat). Vietnamese people treated them as food. I also saw people traded dogs in the market, I am sure they are also being sold as food :cry: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trekker1
Valued Contributor

Postby trekker1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm

stimix wrote:Aikss those pictures wth hill tribes below the Vietnam Leng Lui were Sapa view liao leh :-k :D

BTW trekker, you miss Halong Bay, Perfume Pagoda & Tam Coc?
antyong wrote:Bro, any picture of scenery around Sapa? How is the natural scenery?

Yes bro stimix, we missed Halong Bay, Perfume Pagoda & Tam Coc, may be next trip will plan to visit these place. But we did go to Dong Van, not many tourist would go there, it is a very small town, very near China. This is a very sensitive town, may be due to its proximity with China. In 1978 China did invade Vietnam and this town was occupied by the Chinese Army. I saw most of the shop houses have underground basement, and these undergrounds could be bomb shelters.

Here services are very poor, only a handful of small restaurants operates. Choices of food?... None... you will eat what ever is served, luckily they did not serve dogs that day..... :rolleyes: and of course... hotels? dont even expect 2 stars accomodation...only the Wong Fei Hoong style hotel is available. :thumbsdown:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 am

Hmm......Will probably drop my plan to North Vietnam and save up for trips to China instead :-k

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:19 am

Try Yunnan in south western China... beautiful scenery and very good weather all year round. Only down side is the high Uv radiation found in most highland.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:25 pm

moeyhc wrote:Try Yunnan in south western China... beautiful scenery and very good weather all year round. Only down side is the high Uv radiation found in most highland.

Will definitely go to Yunnan one day. Waiting for Air Asia :mrgreen:

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:29 pm

You guys can traveled all over the world, me only travel all over the kampungs :cry:

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

antyong wrote:
moeyhc wrote:Try Yunnan in south western China... beautiful scenery and very good weather all year round. Only down side is the high Uv radiation found in most highland.

Dun have to wait for AA, Others also cheaper sometime..
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

trekker1
Valued Contributor

Postby trekker1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:32 pm

alyem wrote:
antyong wrote:
moeyhc wrote:Try Yunnan in south western China...

Dun have to wait for AA, Others also cheaper sometime..

Dont wait for AA, but wait for Yunnan drought to be over, South West China is facing a very severe drought now, many months no rain (http://article.wn.com/view/2010/03/26/China_scrambles_to_combat_drought/).
When I was near the Vietnam-China border area, observed many rivers were drying up.
May be not all Yunnan area is affected, but please make sure before going....

naim

Postby naim » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 pm

antyong wrote:Will definitely go to Yunnan one day. Waiting for Air Asia :mrgreen:

You can fly to Chengdu and do Yunnan trip from there. Am planning to go to Tibet via Chengdu next Oct. :mrgreen:
Pls see my travelogues at http://naim.my - THANKS!

Return to “Holiday & Travel”