Tibet

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
naim

Tibet

Postby naim » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:59 am

Just arrived Chengdu for first leg of trip. Tomorrow, getting Tibet permit, and finalising itinerary. First thing Friday morning is a 2-hr flight to Lhasa with Sichuan Airlines. Foreigners entering Tibet must have permits and in authorised groups. No independent travel for us in this sensitive territory!

Busy Dongchenggengxia St, downtown Chengdu, from hotel room. This location is nice because there's a good halal Sichuan restaurant just around the corner. Last January missus & I had memorable meals there. Alas, she's not here with me for this outing.

---
Pls see my travelogues at http://naim.my - THANKS!

naim

Re: Tibet

Postby naim » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Cool and misty day in Chengdu and the quiet street last night is a traffic mess during morning rush hour.

A quick breakfast of local fare, mainly vegies and dumplings. Hot orange cordial accompanies. A stark contrast to the normally spicy and hot Sichuan dishes.

In a cab along Renmin South Street looking for the travel agent, to collect my Tibet permit and plane tix for Chengdu/Lhasa. Beautiful boulevard, spruced up for National Day tomorrow - PRC is 61 years old.

Finally got my officious-looking Tibet permit (top) and the more harmless plane e-ticket to Lhasa tomorrow. They surely love them red chops! Without that permit, no way I can board the plane.

Lunchtime and I find myself at Jinjiaba Street, in the same halal restaurant we visited during last January's trip. Just a single beef dish and rice, hot and spicy the way I like it. Eating alone, cannot finish, so tapau for dinner, maybe.

Outside, something interesting. A lamb bread, baked in a tandoori-like over. Got myself a piece, full of lamb pieces, tastes a bit like karipaps, but much better. Only for lamb lovers. :)

---

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:46 pm

naim wrote:Outside, something interesting. A lamb bread, baked in a tandoori-like over. Got myself a piece, full of lamb pieces, tastes a bit like karipaps, but much better. Only for lamb lovers. :)

Nice find there Abg Naim. I'm a lamb lover myself. Image
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

naim

Postby naim » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Tianfu Square, at the heart of Chengdu, is all dressed up for National Day celebrations tomorrow. Even the dancing fountain loves Chairman Mao.

The Chairman up close, hasn't aged a single bit.

At his feet, a sea of flowers ... and then some. :)

Embedded LEDs on the square floor ... cute! Kids love them.

At the other side of Tianfu Square facing Renmin South Road, another huge floral arrangement: 1949-2010. Happy 61st Birthday, PRC!

You need your wits about you when crossing at a junction, even when you have right of way. Btw, am retiring soon, need to check out 5.30am to catch first flight out to Lhasa. Good night all! :-)

---

naim

Postby naim » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Arrived Lhasa >3hrs ago, and so far so good. Minimal altitude sickness and I feel ok.

===

Early morning at departure area, Chengdu Airport CTU today, after stringent security and document checks for Lhasa travellers.

Look at the fiery red chops. I'm good for Tibet!

Flight on schedule on a cold, misty, miserable Chengdu day.

Boarding at a new gate, I just followed the crowd since the announcement was in Mandarin.

Sichuan Airlines A319 interior, reg. B-2300.

Here's the well-appointed chow for the 2-hr ride. Plain congee to be eaten with pickled vegies. Quite filling I must say.

And the mandatory lady-shot.

Landed at Lhasa LXA about 10.30am. It was like flying from the floor to a table. No noticeable descent, and suddenly the mountains were in my face.

That's our A319 from CTU.

Another Sichuan plane on the other side of the terminal.

Baggage collection was harmless, and soon I was staring at the bright blue sky of Tibet. I'm at the Roof of the World now!

===

naim

Postby naim » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:36 pm

The 70km highway from the Lhasa Airport LXA to Lhasa is a teaser of what Tibet has to offer.

Rocky mountains surround the valley where the airport is located.

A long tunnel is cut right through the hard rock.

On the other side, a glacial valley if I ever see one. Am I back in South Island NZ?

Autumn in full swing.

The highway skirts the northern bank of Lhasa River.

A beautiful bend along Lhasa River.

Autumn leaves abound.

Beginning to look more and more like South Island NZ.

My first encounter with the Tibetan prayer flags.

Closer to Lhasa, and its river becomes more scenic.

Finally in my hotel room, my breads from Chengdu are bursting, thanks to Lhasa's low pressure.

Jingzhoi Rd towards the east, where my hotel is.

Junction of Jingzhoi Rd and Lingkuo Rd.

A halal butcher obliges. He then shows me some Quranic script, which to his delight, I read. He insists I should get a kopiah like his. I draw the line. :)

I just love her pose.

A young Muslim mum carries her baby to cross the wide Jingzhoi Rd.

The Sun is low in the western sky, and I return to the hotel.

Soon, dusk falls at Lhasa, and time to find some halal chow which I spotted earlier.

Found one, I promptly order dinner and the young man gets to work, with his family around us.

My dinner at last. Crispy tasty chicken with some spicy condiment. All for 8 Yuans. :D

===

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:17 am

Beautiful photos. Nice narative.
Regards,
FrancisTLim.

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:28 am

Chengdu pun jem giler :shock:
:tq: for the info. =D> =D> =D>

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:43 am

Very beautiful and clear photos. Beautiful country.
Keep it up Bro. Very informative post you have here. =D> =D> :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:49 am

all photos was clear.. & nice pic..
good! :thumbsup:
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

Return to “Holiday & Travel”