Seoul

Share your trip photos, tracklogs, experience & tips. Ask the locals info about your planned destination.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss matters pertaining MFM community and forum only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
naim

Seoul

Postby naim » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 pm

Extreme cold. Just now took a walk to try this -11C temp, probably -15C when the wind was blowing (it's windy here now). The exposed face soon went numb, nose wet and hurting, lips parched. But ppl were still around, most well-wrapped and moving fast. :)

===
Pls see my travelogues at http://naim.my - THANKS!

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Re: Seoul

Postby sobamy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:37 pm

Beautiful night shots Bro Naim. I had the same experience when I was in Japan and Australia even during Autumn. Frozen to the bones when walking outside the hotel. The wind is the culprit in numbing the exposed parts of the body unless one is properly wrapped up...
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

naim

Postby naim » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:46 pm

sobamy wrote:Beautiful night shots Bro Naim. I had the same experience when I was in Japan and Australia even during Autumn. Frozen to the bones when walking outside the hotel. The wind is the culprit in numbing the exposed parts of the body unless one is properly wrapped up...

Thanks, the thing is the ladies here can still look pretty even when dressed in their sub-zero gear. LOL!

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 pm

Hahahaa... guess it's the cold weather that makes them look pretty :lol:
Our ladies from Cameron Highlands too have rosy cheeks... :D
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

stimix

Postby stimix » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:20 am

I hijacked Naim Seoul thread to pictures spam.. Both of us going almost same time..But I came back early this Morning & Bro Naim by 2moro Morning..

Abit from me taken via Noklia N8..Later probably sharing my Digicam photos

1) Incheon airport AREX train terminal - like scifi movie:

2)Cheonggecheon rehabilitated stream - They really pumped clean water to the stream :shock:

3) Gyeongbokgung Palace:

4) Nami Island -Winter Sonata drama location(Snowing a day earlier)

5) Gangchon Ski resort

6) Hangang river park- Yesterday when temperature touching -11C when I was there..My fingers & ear freezing taking this panorama view
ImageImage
ImageImage

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:24 am

Wow N8 photos so nice!!
:tq: for sharing.

naim

Postby naim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 pm

no prob, stimix, no fresh snow isn't it? just ice leftovers. dry spell in seoul, clear sky hence extreme temp, down to -20C with wind chill. our driver said, now we have negative terrible! :mrgreen:

stimix

Postby stimix » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah but Y'day & this Morning snowing according to weatherunderground. You should be able to see snow fall Y'day?

The negative 20C wind chill really freezed my fingers & ears at Hangang river park :mrgreen: ..No choice taking out my glove. Even my freezed finger having problem touching the N8 touchscreen!
ImageImage
ImageImage

naim

Postby naim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:59 pm

DMZ [Pt.1]

It's about -10C as we make our way out of metro Seoul. Traffic is bad as more people drive to work today to escape the extreme cold when using public transportation ... and this is a rare sight - two European cars side-by-side in Seoul.

Mr Han proudly displays his credentials in his Kia MPV cab, though I wonder what sort of English test he went through. His English is pretty horrendous, but he makes it up with his niceness. :)

It's less than an hour away to the North Korean border via this modern expressway, but do not allow those billboards fool you. They are camouflaging huge concrete structures which can be quickly toppled to provide a potent barrier to invading North Korean tanks and troops advancing towards Seoul.

Note the direction to Pyongyang, capital of North Korea (it's just for show, you can't really drive there, hahaha!). This is the so-called Freedom Highway, to emphasize the fact that if North Korea is 'liberated', its 'freed' horde would come streaming along this way to Seoul. I tell Mr Han, not necessarily a great idea since Seoul, already bursting at it seams trying to accommodate its own citizens, would be swamped with millions of poor, hungry and unemployed North Koreans. He agrees.

I'm reminded by the fact that we are in a war zone by the chatter of an army chopper crossing the expressway.

We round a hill, and there in front of us, the territory of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), separated by the Republic of Korea (ROK) by the Imjin River DMZ. At the nearest point this expressway is just 2.5km from the North Koreans. Needless to say, the river bank is heavily fortified and manned by armed troops.

By the way, I even spot a new Kia model (complete in black camouflage) being test-driven on this not-so-busy road. Business as usual, no problem.

Suddenly the traffic disappears and we are left alone in a desolate part of the road to Pyongyang.

Fortifications on the Imjin river bank is a stark reminder of an unfinished business.

The highway goes on to the famed border village of Panmunjom (and eventually Pyongyang, if you can make it), but we have to exit to Imjingak. With the current very high tension between the two Koreas (thanks to the shelling of Yeonpyeong just 3 weeks ago), the whole place is on 'amber alert' here, and we don't think we can go far if we take that straight road.

Imjingak is a rather clever commercial exploitation of the whole DMZ thingy. This is where visitors come to have a feel at the cold war tension between the only divided state in the world. The DMZ proper (with its fences, border posts, armed guards, landmines, etc.) is just 3km away beyond the hills.

There's a rail bridge across the Imjin river here, called the Bridge of Freedom for obvious reason, and at the other side (which is South Korean territory), a station is built very close to the DMZ. The train line goes all the way to Pyongyang, but of course no trains ply this route. So this modern functional station is idle, except for daily visits by tourists in special shuttle buses from Imjingak.

South Korean army posts dot the surrounding, and as the notice in the pic above warns, 'Do not come close or take pictures', so I snap this one from afar with a zoom lens. :)

===

stimix

Postby stimix » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Wah very brave. I decided to skip DMZ after the Yeongpyeong Island bombing. :shock:

BTW, on Wed 15/12 ~ 2pm while having my lunch at Namdaemun restaurant, I heard a loud war siren..& yeah..serious war siren..Dunno what to do and seeing ppl just take it easy, I just continue having my lunch. Only the nxt day whilhe hole of SK having war drill...

Cool...First time in my live hearing real loud war siren as what in those war mnovies :thumbsup:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Holiday & Travel”