Nokia 5800 - Part 1

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
mcmc

Re: Nokia 5800 Xpress Music

Postby mcmc » Sat May 30, 2009 4:04 pm

If I scroll the map using Tools -> Browse Map, and after a couple of times scrolling, the Tube (v21) will hang (at Drawing..) and I have no choice except to kill the GMXT.

Do you guys have the same problem?

lapu

Postby lapu » Sun May 31, 2009 8:13 pm

mcmc wrote:If I scroll the map using Tools -> Browse Map, and after a couple of times scrolling, the Tube (v21) will hang (at Drawing..) and I have no choice except to kill the GMXT.

Do you guys have the same problem?

same problem here. using v21, garmin 5.0.40.
Nokia 5800XM + garmin XT + Malfreemap + re-radiating antenna: WORK!

cleaner

Postby cleaner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:03 pm

hi all, newbie here, thanks to all sifu, already download gmxt 5.00.30 and mfm 1.58 :)

about hang problem while drawing map, please tap once at a time, cannot tap laju-laju, then it will be ok

mcmc

Postby mcmc » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:28 pm

cleaner wrote:about hang problem while drawing map, please tap once at a time, cannot tap laju-laju, then it will be ok

Seems like it's a common problem.
Thanks for your tip, anyway. :D

syncomp

Postby syncomp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:12 am

hi everybody out there...
its nice to noe that garmin is supported with nokia 5800
i hav download it n my software is working like charm..

BUT...
the question are :
1) Does the garmin charge u with the usage of gps through ur line provider (Maxis,Dig, Celcom)
coz i have been told that this software is free. i try the software lastnite.. n i see my credit has been deducted.
the detail is as follow :
i) Destination : Bangsar --> shah Alam
ii) Credit deduction : RM2.43 --> RM2.36

I hope somebody have answer for this.. Thx in advance..

ajay

Postby ajay » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:39 am

if the software is free that means that's not ori. anyway, that's a different matter..
the charges are from the (AGPS) assisted gps function which uses your phone network. if u turn off this function, you won't be charged & still can get gps signal for free
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

syncomp

Postby syncomp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:00 pm

ajay wrote:if the software is free that means that's not ori. anyway, that's a different matter..
the charges are from the (AGPS) assisted gps function which uses your phone network. if u turn off this function, you won't be charged & still can get gps signal for free

owh.. icic..
thx ajay.. btw, apology for my language mistake. what i want to say here is i've heard that the usage of gps signal when we're travelling would be free. not like the built in gps software by nokia that required 3g coverage to use.

another question, if we re turning off the AGPS function, would it affect the gps performance? such as, we could not search signal in rural area, or data transmit even slower?

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:20 pm

to answer your question, you will need to know what is A-GPS.

GPS, as you know, uses the GPS satelites around the globe to triangulate your location.

A-GPS, however, is assisted GPS. What it does, is that it will take ur current cell phone transmission tower's ID, send it to nokia's server (via 3.5G/3G/GPRS/EDGE). In return, the server sends you the most strongest GPS satelites in your area. Your phone will only attempt to lock on to them ONLY.

Result: signal lock within seconds, and data transfer of 7kb (no matter how long u travel, as it is used only once when ur phone is obtaining satelite signal lock). You are being charged for the data-transfer.

if u want to use it for free, jst simply switch it off.. done.
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

syncomp

Postby syncomp » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:29 pm

vash,
so meaning my 7 cent is used ONLY to lock the signal from the server and that is once per location that i've been keyed in my phone where i want to go.. (including when it recalculating once again etc, etc...). And then when u wanna go to the other place n u have to enter the name, Maxis will search for it , and another 7 cent will be deducted... am i correct?

so, about the performance.. it will be less effective to off the AGPS rather than switch it on.. the data will transmit slower.. and the loading will be slower, and the possibility of lagging to occur would be much frequent.. am i right?

ajay

Postby ajay » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:55 pm

the performance only concerns the first time u lock your gps position. after that, u can turn off AGPS & let your receiver just receive signal from the satelite while navigating/moving around. then, let say tomorrow you want to navigate again, turn on the AGPS, & after getting signal turn AGPS off
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”