Garmin StreetPilot for iPhone

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
aikliang
Contributor

Re: Garmin Apps on iPhone

Postby aikliang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:05 am

I had the same problem, and this is how i solved it.

1. Install Garmin Streetpilot Onboard in your iphone.
2. Download or create "gmapsupp.img" from Malfreemaps. Download link for .exe file can be found here http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8442 .
3. Change "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapprom.img" .
4. Install "iexplorer" in your computer, this is a file explorer for you iphone. If you have ifunbox, it won't open one of the directory, don't know why. Download the latest ifunbox, it will allow you to open the directory in item 5.
5. In iexplorer, search for this directory "var\mobile\Applications\[xxxxxxxxxxxx]\garmin-nav.app\storage-usa\.System"if there is no /.System folder/directory, you will need to create the folder. Remember to name the folder .System [note: there is a full-stop in front of System], otherwise when you check the map. it will say there is no map found ( [xxxxxxxxx] is a random number and alphabet for the app directory, try open one by one and see which one is the garmin folder).
6. Copy the "gmapprom.img" that you rename before, and paste it in this directory.
7. Now you need to install "ifile" in your phone. (ifile is the file explorer in iphone).if your handphone is not jailbroken, you can use winscp for item 9 & 10. Using winscp is very complicated, better to jailbreak your iPhone
8. If you already have (or downloaded) .deb file for the "ifile" , just copy it into " /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall " (using ixplorer) and it will install automatically after you reboot your iphone.
9. Next step, open "ifile" and go to the same directory as mentioned in (5), then tap the blue colour arrow next to the "gmapprom.img" .
10. Change the permission ( User, Group, World ), all to [ Read , Write ].
11. Exit ifile, then open Garmin Streetpilot Onboard, then you will have the desired MFM super awesome map.
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:07 am

I had the same problem, and this is how i solved it.

1. Install Garmin Streetpilot Onboard in your iphone.
2. Download or create "gmapsupp.img" from Malfreemaps. Download link for .exe file can be found here http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8442 .
3. Change "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapprom.img" .
4. Install "iexplorer" in your computer, this is a file explorer for you iphone. If you have ifunbox, it won't open one of the directory, don't know why.
5. In iexplorer, search for this directory "var\mobile\Applications\[xxxxxxxxxxxx]\garmin-nav.app\storage-usa\.System" ( [xxxxxxxxx] is a random number and alphabet for the app directory, try open one by one and see which one is the garmin folder).
6. Copy the "gmapprom.img" that you rename before, and paste it in this directory.
7. Now you need to install "ifile" in your phone. (ifile is the file explorer in iphone).
8. If you already have (or downloaded) .deb file for the "ifile" , just copy it into " /var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall " (using ixplorer) and it will install automatically after you reboot your iphone.
9. Next step, open "ifile" and go to the same directory as mentioned in (5), then tap the blue colour arrow next to the "gmapprom.img" .
10. Change the permission ( User, Group, World ), all to [ Read , Write ].
11. Exit ifile, then open Garmin Streetpilot Onboard, then you will have the desired MFM super awesome map.
:tq: :good: :good: bro FaZo
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

tencheenian

Postby tencheenian » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks everyone! i Finally figure out that the garmin app crash is due to Spire (SIri port to iphone4). For those who is using iphone4 with ios5, you should try to avoid spire and my3G app as it sometimes will cause apps crash!

ahmoy

Postby ahmoy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:01 am

Did anybody has problem with custom icons for MFM (icons are McDonald, Petronas, Shell, etc) didn't appear inside Garmin Streetpilot iPhone?

FYI, i am using the USA version.

djthormented

Postby djthormented » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:40 pm

tencheenian wrote:Thanks everyone! i Finally figure out that the garmin app crash is due to Spire (SIri port to iphone4). For those who is using iphone4 with ios5, you should try to avoid spire and my3G app as it sometimes will cause apps crash!

Did face the same thing with spire but there was no "free" my3g version 5 & above. So couldn't say anything on that. Though i'd rather have my3g.

djthormented

Postby djthormented » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:41 pm

ahmoy wrote:Did anybody has problem with custom icons for MFM (icons are McDonald, Petronas, Shell, etc) didn't appear inside Garmin Streetpilot iPhone?

FYI, i am using the USA version.

Actually, it does appear but not during navigation.

ahmoy

Postby ahmoy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 pm

The right most is image taken from GarminXT (running on Nokia 8500), notice that there are 2 restaurants, 1 Continental tyre shop, Giant, 2 Petronas station, 1 Shell station and one McD (above the 50 wording)

The middle (normal zoom) and right (max zoom) taken from Garmin StreetPilot iPhone running on iPad2. The middle image only shown Continental tyre shop, if zoomed in more to max, the Continental tyre shop gone but can see 2 restaurants.

Both applications use the most details option, not during nagivation and use a same gmapsupp.img.
The location of the map is at N03 0.517' and E101 48.219' (N 3.00862 and E101.80366)

To djthormented: can you see custom icon Petronas + Shell inside your Garmin StreetPilot iPhone using the location given above?

djthormented

Postby djthormented » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:00 pm

ahmoy wrote:Image

The right most is image taken from GarminXT (running on Nokia 8500), notice that there are 2 restaurants, 1 Continental tyre shop, Giant, 2 Petronas station, 1 Shell station and one McD (above the 50 wording)

The middle (normal zoom) and right (max zoom) taken from Garmin StreetPilot iPhone running on iPad2. The middle image only shown Continental tyre shop, if zoomed in more to max, the Continental tyre shop gone but can see 2 restaurants.

Both applications use the most details option, not during nagivation and use a same gmapsupp.img.
The location of the map is at N03 0.517' and E101 48.219' (N 3.00862 and E101.80366)

To djthormented: can you see custom icon Petronas + Shell inside your Garmin StreetPilot iPhone using the location given above?

How I wish I could upload the snapshot from the phone. Not only do I see petronas & shell but also mcdonald's!!
He he… later i balik rumah i upload :thumbsup:

ahmoy

Postby ahmoy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 pm

maybe something wrong with the IPA that i am using? Don't think i forgot to set the correct settings...

waiting for your screenshot!!!

or, maybe something wrong with how i added the maps into garmin folder? FYI,
1. I downloaded the IPA for US version with no data map at all (about 60mb size)
2. the file that i transferred to garmin folder is gmapsupp.img not the gmapprom.img (and of course into different folder...)

djthormented

Postby djthormented » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 pm

ahmoy wrote:maybe something wrong with the IPA that i am using? Don't think i forgot to set the correct settings...

waiting for your screenshot!!!

or, maybe something wrong with how i added the maps into garmin folder? FYI,
1. I downloaded the IPA for US version with no data map at all (about 60mb size)
2. the file that i transferred to garmin folder is gmapsupp.img not the gmapprom.img (and of course into different folder...)

Then you installed the NOT street pilot version (saya pun sama). I extracted mfm map 3 times to get the custom POI settings correct but they're still small ang won't appear during navigation.

Kejap just reached home.

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”