Waze

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
NoX

Re: Waze apps free for Android iphone and most smart phone.

Postby NoX » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 am

Testing Waze in Tarakan Island, Indonesia.

No 3G totally rely on GPS, precache map and wifi. As you can see from the snapshot my phone is on airplane mode. I don't want it to log on into global roaming.

Nox
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 am

You cannot navigate without internet because the map is downloaded as and when needed. Like Bro Alyem said, the Live informations is excellence. I guess precache means one have to exactly follow its route or else you with have a waze opening page only without the route map.

hmanxx

Postby hmanxx » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:00 pm

how to do the map caching? Just downloaded the Android app to try it out..Easy community report and update will really help to speed thing up..

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:52 pm

NoX wrote:Alyem, I find it hard to believe you turn it off after checking traffic info. Because you said your rank is 600.

That need some real serious usage.

Nox

When I started using, I can contribute on Naming the road. With the new version Waze, I need to log in into Waze site to contribute.

Now I just check in for Traffic info. Contribute a few traffic to mantain my rank.
Today check.. my rank drop to 659. ](*,) ](*,)
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

purpleray
Valued Contributor

Postby purpleray » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:20 pm

tuah wrote:You cannot navigate without internet because the map is downloaded as and when needed. Like Bro Alyem said, the Live informations is excellence. I guess precache means one have to exactly follow its route or else you with have a waze opening page only without the route map.

now i understand... 3g for downloaded map.. my telco give 1G data monthly and get slow connection when reach max data and no extra charge..(no issue here)
difficult to locate exact destination :thumbsdown:
good when routing coz have traffic info :thumbsup:
map detail :thumbsdown:
kuat makan battery.. jahanam battery iphone aku (sentiasa charging dalam kereta) :thumbsdown:
bila malaysia nak ada traffic info untuk gps device? ](*,)
PaPaGO! R5800 X8.5.10 MFM-PPG-181204
Caska 133e PaPaGO!X8.5.10 MFM-PPG-181204
Garmin 255W MFM 181203 & MFM-Garmin NT 2015.40
Garmin 2575RLM MFM 181203 & MFM-Garmin NT 2016.20
MapSource v6.16.3 MFM 181203
JCV Lumix DMC-ZR3 14MB 8x

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Guess where the crazy people are concentrated. :mrgreen:
waze.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

NoX

Postby NoX » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:30 pm

tuah wrote:You cannot navigate without internet because the map is downloaded as and when needed. Like Bro Alyem said, the Live informations is excellence. I guess precache means one have to exactly follow its route or else you with have a waze opening page only without the route map.

This to answer hmaxx too.

To precache a map if you do not have 3G is, get in to a wifi zone (maybe your home) and do a "Navigate to" key in the keyword let say "London" it will show london and just maximise the screen and wait it will precache London and surrounding area, just scroll around to precache the entire British Isle if you want.

Once you are in London, you just open up Waze in airplane mode, with only GPS on and use it. No live traffic but you get Nav.

Obviously you don't need to go to London and try, have a go locally.. Precache as mention, set your phone not to receive Data or in Airplane mode and try to Navigate.

Example of Precache over Wifi Navigation in airplane mode done in Tarakan, Indonesia.

NoX
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:04 pm

NoX wrote:This is a screen shots taken on their live map at 11:35pm 05 Feb 2012. All this user are live online and plotting and checking the base map via 3G, can you imagine how quick it will be corrected with all these user.
These is only small parf of KL.

Below is a simple tracklog that I did earlier today, which was uploaded to their website via 3G/Wifi and into my account as my tracklog. I am allow to edit within 1km from these log.
A lot has been done to malfree over the years until its difficult to get a fresh place to plot. This software open up the fun all over again. The editor will allow you to even mark POI.

NoX

bro,
how do you record your tracklog?

NoX

Postby NoX » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 pm

tuah wrote:
NoX wrote:This is a screen shots taken on their live map at 11:35pm 05 Feb 2012. All this user are live online and plotting and checking the base map via 3G, can you imagine how quick it will be corrected with all these user.
These is only small parf of KL.

Below is a simple tracklog that I did earlier today, which was uploaded to their website via 3G/Wifi and into my account as my tracklog. I am allow to edit within 1km from these log.
A lot has been done to malfree over the years until its difficult to get a fresh place to plot. This software open up the fun all over again. The editor will allow you to even mark POI.

NoX

bro,
how do you record your tracklog?

Track log are automatically recorder once you switches waze on, it will track. What you need to do is :

On Waze select Setting --> Help --> Send Log it will send the Track or any Pave to Waze server that you could open online and do editing.

You can also refresh map your area (where you are now) by select Setting --> Advance --> Data Transfer --> Refresh Map My Area.

But its best to do all above over wifi.

Above is what it looks like in my account.

NoX

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:33 am

NoX wrote:
Track log are automatically recorder once you switches waze on, it will track. What you need to do is :

On Waze select Setting --> Help --> Send Log it will send the Track or any Pave to Waze server that you could open online and do editing.

NoX

No need to Send Log, it's done automatically. :D
Btw, how to input the house number?

Tuah
Waze Knight.

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”