Papago X5 for Android

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
JayCee

Re: HELP - PAPAGO X5 on Android 2.2

Postby JayCee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:54 am

kencks88 wrote:
Inggo wrote:
kencks88 wrote:and my gps symbol is blinking with a "?" sign with it on the top right

"?" sign blinking, it means you've NOT got satellite signal reception..
fore detail, click the "?" then you can see the satellite pattern menu.

only 2 reason why got "?" sign at your right corner:
1. Your gps blocked something, try in open space.
2. your com port chipset is not match with your version of papago.

hey.. where you got papago navigation software, got copy from your friend?
if yes, so you got no.2 :mrgreen:

lol ya copy from SOMEWHERE
how to check the compatiblity of the software with my phone?
but i tried b4 it can detect whr i am (sometimes) lol
i cant click on the "?" sign. no response

Clearly, the "?" sign with Papago X5 on Samsung Galaxy S (SGS) running Android 2.2 indicates poor reception signal for the PDA. You will not get any response by clicking the "?" sign with Papago X5 with SGS PDA. You can download GPS Status or GPS Test to test the GPS satellite fix of your PDA. GPS Status even has a function let you download GPS assistance data from internet. Satellite fix is a common problem with SGS PDA. This has been discussed in few forums and it is believed it is the cause of the poor antena design of the SGS. Are you using a SGS PDA or othewr models?

JC

gatot_kaca

Re: Android version of Papago X5

Postby gatot_kaca » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:50 am

de5park wrote:I'm using the Android version of Papago X5, and I'm being prompted for the registration code even though I selected the MFM 101201.

Anybody can help me to find the papago lregistration code?

* deleted * bro gatot_kaca, please respect forum rule #6 :tq: /SB

shawntan

Papago X5 for android

Postby shawntan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Currently I using papago x5 for my samsung galaxy ace and the ori map once I install is 100415.

Today I go download latest map 110403 and copy all 31 files into the map folder, after that when I go check in the software,
the map version still appear as 100415 version.

I had check the file in the map folder , all files is date 110403...

Anyone can tell me wats the problem ?

ys_nicholas

Postby ys_nicholas » Wed May 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Jaycee,
I am using Samsung Galaxy S and I am facing the same problem with kencks88. Not only it's not showing current location, it has no voice navigation too. Is it papago version does not match or if it is bcoz of poor antenna design, is there any aid to boost/improve the reception? Thank you.

Foo.

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Wed May 04, 2011 5:34 pm

ys_nicholas wrote:Hi Jaycee,
I am using Samsung Galaxy S and I am facing the same problem with kencks88. Not only it's not showing current location, it has no voice navigation too. Is it papago version does not match or if it is bcoz of poor antenna design, is there any aid to boost/improve the reception? Thank you.

Foo.

There is one and only one Papago X5 version for Android AFAIK.
The "?" with the Pagago is caused by not able to lock the satellites (because of poor reception signal).
As long as the satellite lock (FIX) is not confirmed, Papago X5 will not proceed with the navigation function but you still can play with the MAP function.
Occasionally, Papago with my SGS works in outdoor, open space only after resetting the a-gps data.
You can try below to confirm if your SGS GPS is functioning or not:
1. Activate wi-fi of your phone (internet connection is required)
2. Download and install GPS status from market
3. Activate GPS of your phone
4. Find a location which you can see the clear sky (stand near window is an alternative though not ideal)
5. Lauch GPS status; click menu (left bottom button); click tools; click manage a-gps; click Reset; click download - this will refresh a-gps data of your SGS from server (relative to your current location)
6. We should now seriously test the SGS GPS
7. To ensure we only use the GPS of the SGS, suggest:
a. turn off the wi-fi
b. un-check "use wireless networks" (location and security of setting menu)
8. Now we go to some open space (best when it is sunny)
9. Launch GPS status (ensure wi-fi is off and GPS is on)
10.you should see a compass with 3 brown circles and a brown line underneath
11.in the middle of the screen on the right, you can see Fix/Sats - this tells you how many satellites have been used for FIX out of x number of satellites (Sats) detected; normally it will need at least 3 available satellites before Fix has a value > 0 and this means SGS GPS has a success satellite lock (and your Papago X5 will have the "?" changed to a satellite icon and will start working)
12.Even with poor antenna design, your SGS GPS should be able to detect some satellites with weak signal (Sats value > 0 and keep changing); if Sats remains 0 all times during the test, then, I think you may want to see the CSO at any Samsung service centre already.

Nothing we can do about the poor SGS antenna AFAIK (except changing to other brands).
Use of a stand alone bluetooth GPS dongle is out of the question as Papago X5 has no provision to connect to it. Some say the problem was related to production batch (by batc) which I doubt as SGS users keep complaining poor satellite reception problem since its launch last June.
I will not rely on SGS GPS and Papago X5 for driving instruction but I will use the map feature to PLAN my route.

--JC

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Thu May 05, 2011 10:59 am

You can also download the GPS test apk from the Android market to see the signal strength. This will tell you if the GPS is working or not. Hope this helps... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Thu May 05, 2011 5:03 pm

moeyhc wrote:You can also download the GPS test apk from the Android market to see the signal strength. This will tell you if the GPS is working or not. Hope this helps... cheers!

Both GPS Test and GPS Status are able to tell user GPS signal strength his/her gadget is getting.
GPS Status is able to refresh A-GPS data stored in the gadget for possible faster locking but not GPS Test.
I prefer GPS Test if possible faster locking is not a concern or to be considered.
This is because GPS Test's signal strength presentation screen is easier to interpret than GPS Status'.

--JC

xauxix

Postby xauxix » Thu May 05, 2011 6:53 pm

my suggestion, try get GPS Fix app from market.
start the app, then try start your papago.
i got same problem with you before. try it, then everything is ok! :peace:

ultrafire88

Postby ultrafire88 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:37 pm

JayCee wrote:
Use of a stand alone bluetooth GPS dongle is out of the question as Papago X5 has no provision to connect to it. Some say the problem was related to production batch (by batc) which I doubt as SGS users keep complaining poor satellite reception problem since its launch last June.
I will not rely on SGS GPS and Papago X5 for driving instruction but I will use the map feature to PLAN my route.

--JC

Pardon the correction but it IS possible to use Papago X5 with a bluetooth gps. All u need is to dl the free Bluetooth GPS app. This app will pass the location coordinates to any other app that requires it even if the app like Papago does not hv any bluetooth option.

I m using my Samsung Galaxy S SL with a Holux bluetooth gps cos as usual, Samsung gps is atrocious!

ultrafire88

Re: Changing our android PAPAGO X5 stock navigation sound

Postby ultrafire88 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Yup, saw this tip in the other long Papago thread - u could hv saved all yr hard work!

U can use any wav file - just rename the extension to gwv. Of course it has to be just a very short clip.

What i want to know n i havent tried yet is - can we just delete the startup.gwv file so that there wont be any sound at all - or will this cause the app to hang?

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”