Papago X5 for Android

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ys_nicholas

Re: HELP - PAPAGO X5 on Android 2.2

Postby ys_nicholas » Thu May 05, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks all.. will try one by one and compare which one works best. This morning tried with GPS status. Reset and download the GPS data and very soon it can detect my current position. Tried open again after work in the evening but this time couldn't detect my location.(i open "A-GPS XTRA Data" this time and reset it again but couldn't detect signal still).
Anyhow, tomorrow i'll try the rest.
by the way, how do the Bluetooth GPS can communicate with Papago X5 coz as u mention Papago does not have any bluetooth option.
Thank you.

ultrafire88

Postby ultrafire88 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:41 pm

ys_nicholas wrote: by the way, how do the Bluetooth GPS can communicate with Papago X5 coz as u mention Papago does not have any bluetooth option.
Thank you.

no need for the option.

The "Bluetooth GPS" app (do a search in the Market Place) will automatically pass the coordinates to Papago.

ultrafire88

Postby ultrafire88 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:45 pm

I prefer GPS Test over GPS Status.

Another excellent gps test app is GPS Essentials which has several more options and settings

ultrafire88

Re: Changing our android PAPAGO X5 stock navigation sound

Postby ultrafire88 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:11 am

ok, it works. Deleting the startup file lets the app start without the annoying sound! Prob speeds it up a tiny bit too!

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:33 am

My SGS froyo with Papago works badly together!

1. Whenever voice announcement of coming turn, very often the application just shutdown by itself.

2. The gps signal streaming fr the phone to papago software is laggy, meaning that my car starts to move from idle in front of traffic light, the position indicator of papago still not moving, the indicator only start to react after few 10 meters. This problem doesnt happens to GPS Status or GPS Test apps

3. Mine SGS is the very first batch which suffering the weak gps signal issue, together with the signal laggy issue, very often the position indicator go wild like no body's business

4. Currently my papago just sitting inside my SGS doing nothing, it just occupied my sd memory & totally redundant. To find a POI, google map works way better than papago, papago interface just simply not user friendly, yes even though google map POI not that "rich" compare to MFM map :)

5. It seems like papago developer do not show any commitment at all to improve the current SEA version, it's version 1.1 for a years already but no update at all.

6. Final word, my money :$gone:
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 am

that's why the PND created..! O:)
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

ultrafire88

Postby ultrafire88 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:43 am

yc1437 wrote:My SGS froyo with Papago works badly together!

1. Whenever voice announcement of coming turn, very often the application just shutdown by itself.

2. The gps signal streaming fr the phone to papago software is laggy, meaning that my car starts to move from idle in front of traffic light, the position indicator of papago still not moving, the indicator only start to react after few 10 meters. This problem doesnt happens to GPS Status or GPS Test apps

3. Mine SGS is the very first batch which suffering the weak gps signal issue, together with the signal laggy issue, very often the position indicator go wild like no body's business

4. Currently my papago just sitting inside my SGS doing nothing, it just occupied my sd memory & totally redundant. To find a POI, google map works way better than papago, papago interface just simply not user friendly, yes even though google map POI not that "rich" compare to MFM map :)

5. It seems like papago developer do not show any commitment at all to improve the current SEA version, it's version 1.1 for a years already but no update at all.

6. Final word, my money :$gone:

Agree tt Papago user interface is badly designed. TomTom has a much better interface but only available on iphone atm.

As for poor gps signal, Samsung is notorious for tt. U can at least improve this by pairing with a bluetooth gps.

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:55 am

ultrafire88 wrote:Agree tt Papago user interface is badly designed. TomTom has a much better interface but only available on iphone atm.

As for poor gps signal, Samsung is notorious for tt. U can at least improve this by pairing with a bluetooth gps.

try, Papago's PND version.,
This will change your mind.. :wink:
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

JayCee

Postby JayCee » Fri May 06, 2011 9:02 am

ultrafire88 wrote:
JayCee wrote:
Use of a stand alone bluetooth GPS dongle is out of the question as Papago X5 has no provision to connect to it. Some say the problem was related to production batch (by batc) which I doubt as SGS users keep complaining poor satellite reception problem since its launch last June.
I will not rely on SGS GPS and Papago X5 for driving instruction but I will use the map feature to PLAN my route.

--JC

Pardon the correction but it IS possible to use Papago X5 with a bluetooth gps. All u need is to dl the free Bluetooth GPS app. This app will pass the location coordinates to any other app that requires it even if the app like Papago does not hv any bluetooth option.

I m using my Samsung Galaxy S SL with a Holux bluetooth gps cos as usual, Samsung gps is atrocious!

Well, you have enlightened me.
Rather have the Papago X5 sitting idling I will give your alternative a try.
I still have my Qstarz intact. Need to find and install all software with W7 environment.
--JC

ultrafire88

Postby ultrafire88 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 am

JayCee wrote:
ultrafire88 wrote:
JayCee wrote:
Use of a stand alone bluetooth GPS dongle is out of the question as Papago X5 has no provision to connect to it. Some say the problem was related to production batch (by batc) which I doubt as SGS users keep complaining poor satellite reception problem since its launch last June.
I will not rely on SGS GPS and Papago X5 for driving instruction but I will use the map feature to PLAN my route.

--JC

Pardon the correction but it IS possible to use Papago X5 with a bluetooth gps. All u need is to dl the free Bluetooth GPS app. This app will pass the location coordinates to any other app that requires it even if the app like Papago does not hv any bluetooth option.

I m using my Samsung Galaxy S SL with a Holux bluetooth gps cos as usual, Samsung gps is atrocious!

Well, you have enlightened me.
Rather have the Papago X5 sitting idling I will give your alternative a try.
I still have my Qstarz intact. Need to find and install all software with W7 environment.
--JC

Just to give u further details so u dont get the wrong equipment.

I hv 2 Holuxes, the 1000B n the 1000C. Diff is 1000C has built-in logger.

- My ipod touches n ipad wifi connects easily to both Holuxes. Needs to be jbed.

- For Samsung Galaxy SL, somehow it only connects to my 1000C thru the Bluetooth App although some other apps with built-in bluetooth function like Locus can connect to the 1000B.

- My HTC Legend refuses to even pair with any of the Holuxes so i hv to use the internal gps chip.

Hope the above helps. Of course there r other bluetooth gps out there like Garmin etc but i hv not tried them. Let me know the results if u try.

P.s: just reread n saw tt u mentioned u hv the Qstarz, presumably a bluetooth gps? Let us know if u get it to work with yr Samsung

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”