Google to bring free turn-by-turn navigation to the iPhone

Discussions and information on mobile devices with integrated GPS chipset

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS in mobile devices only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ccwong
JCV Master
JCV Master

Re: Google to bring free turn-by-turn navigation to the iPho

Postby ccwong » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:49 pm

wwloon wrote:
stimix wrote:Only ifon?? What about Symbian, Android & Winmo..unfair liao likedat

Symbian already has free turn-by-turn navi from Nokia already mah (via Ovi maps).

In US and UK recently, Google has offered free turn-by-turn navi for its Android mobile platform. For the rest of the world, it's probably only a matter of time.

While the map being hosted online is expensive if you do not have an unlimited cellular data package and problematic if you lose your cellular connection, the benefit is your map will always be up-to-date. :thumbsup:

Google map = up-to-date ?! :-k

I doubt on it, at least in Malaysia....

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:04 pm

moeyhc wrote:I thought you can plan and Google can 'catch' the route... so just plan ahead before leaving home....

Ha? How ah? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of realtime turn-by-turn navigation?
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:18 pm

tympg wrote:
moeyhc wrote:I thought you can plan and Google can 'catch' the route... so just plan ahead before leaving home....

Ha? How ah? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of realtime turn-by-turn navigation?

I think plan ahead is not so "user-friendly" compared to "Search & Go".

nyem
Valued Contributor

Postby nyem » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:34 am

The route calculation is done server-side and my guess is it can only plan and cache 1 route at a time. Once you've arrived to your destination you'll need another connection to the server for another route planning.

This is similar to waze, if you're off-route it'll trigger a connection to the server to recalculate new route.
http://flavors.me/nyem

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:23 am

Google map = up-to-date ?! :-k

I doubt on it, at least in Malaysia....[/quote]

I don't think the big boys will give details like the kampung, new village or felda tracks. This is where the local trackers are important.

uncle wong
Regional Mapper
Location: Kuala Lumpur - Selangor - Johor I did not have a GPS device

Postby uncle wong » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:21 pm

Google Dashes Hopes of Free iPhone Turn-by-Turn GPS( Daniel Ionescu

Apr 23, 2010 9:00 pm)

Google has denied the latest rumors that the search giant will bring free turn-by-turn GPS navigation on the Apple iPhone, although the features could come in the future to other (unspecified) mobile platforms.

Reports surfaced on Thursday quoting a Google executive speaking about plans to bring free turn-by-turn navigation to other mobile platforms, including the iPhone, during a London press conference launching Maps Navigation for Android phones in the U.K..

"We did not say we would bring it to iPhone, we said to date we've had it on Android and that in the future it may come to other platforms but did not confirm this will be coming to iPhone at all," a Google spokesperson told PCWorld.

In Android 2.0, Google introduced Maps Navigation, which includes 3D maps, turn-by-turn voice guidance, and automatic rerouting -- all at no cost for the user. Available initially only in the U.S., the software does not store the maps on your phone, but uses the Internet connection to display routes.

However, Google clarified on Thursday a few unknowns about its free navigation software for Android. Maps Navigation pre-caches an entire route, and it needs a data connection only when it calculates the directions. So, while driving to your destination, if you lose the connection temporarily, the route progress will still be displayed as long as you stay on the initial route.

Free turn-by-turn navigation for mobile phones is getting increasingly popular with customers, to the detriment of traditional GPS device makers like TomTom or Garmin. Next to Google's Maps Navigation, now available in both U.S. and U.K., Nokia introduced in January its own free GPS software for several of its devices, and by now has been downloaded more than 10 million times.

Source : PC World
Enjoy the GPS’s life!

Inggo
Contributor
Location: N04'37.399"E103'12.484" MyGPS,Nuvi,PapagoX2/X3/X5 Mapking, I-GO, GarminXT GoSPEED

Postby Inggo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:31 pm

my iphone was swim in the soap to soak overnight and does not arise again :cry:
miss you ifone :-({|=
...maybe the -m'force'm- will be with you, always.. :peace:
:mrgreen: Skywalker

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:19 am

For nokia fon there is the free OVI maps, found that my home town Serdang, Kedah also have very detail map in OVI, more kampung road charted than MFM

stimix wrote:Only ifon?? What about Symbian, Android & Winmo..unfair liao likedat
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

drsec
Location: Subang Jaya, (Nuvi255W, GMXT on HTC HD2 & Diamond, Nuvi360, Navman F20, PaPaGo X5 on WM6.5)

Postby drsec » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 am

Just wondering, can someone found a way of reverse compiling a map (say Garmin). I am sure it can be done. If it has been found, boy wouldn't it save a lot of investment collecting the raw data.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:34 am

Bro drsec,

I'm sure there are ways to reverse engineered these maps.... but,.... wouldn't this be copycat? There are just too many 'Easter Eggs' in these maps to avoid being caught. I think it can be done but commercially not practical.... Cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Return to “GPS on Mobile Phones & PDAs”