MFM Travel Guides

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
joedoss

Re: MFM Travel Guides

Postby joedoss » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:32 am

Continued:
131.JPG
139.JPG

Thanks bro antyong for starting me off .... :prayer:

May attempt to cover the other states as well :lol: \:D/ :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nuvi 250 (1-sec tracking enabled)

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:50 am

bro joedoss,

:good: :good: Keep it up!
The main difference between your GPI and bro antyong's is the two small icons (#1 and #2). Pressing #1 displays a full screen picture of that icon. I am more curious in getting #2 up, as it gives you the option of playing the audio file, instead of being an audio POI with radius alert.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

joedoss

Postby joedoss » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:11 am

zamad wrote:bro joedoss,

The main difference between your GPI and bro antyong's is the two small icons (#1 and #2). Pressing #1 displays a full screen picture of that icon. I am more curious in getting #2 up, as it gives you the option of playing the audio file, instead of being an audio POI with radius alert.

Bro zamad,
Wow I didn't know that bro antyong's version had button 1&2. I could not view it on my nuvi250 :( . What to do..... cheaper model less functions I guess :cry: . Those options are really cool!!. I know I can insert some proximity alerts and customize the Poi to automatically read out and say the POI's using a TTS program like http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php. Only concerns are:

1) The additional customized audio file for each POI will increase the the final size of the .gpi file and if .wav files are used for example for the nuvi2XX series that can't play mp3 the final .gpi will be huge i guess.

2) I don't think there is any way to stop a unit from playing the audio when a proximity alert audio is activated.

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Postby fauzee » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 am

great beginning... :tq: :good: :rox:
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:41 pm

joedoss wrote:1) The additional customized audio file for each POI will increase the the final size of the .gpi file and if .wav files are used for example for the nuvi2XX series that can't play mp3 the final .gpi will be huge i guess.

2) I don't think there is any way to stop a unit from playing the audio when a proximity alert audio is activated.
Pay Gary Hayman's site a visit to learn about customised POI. bro stratman II pointed me to that site... no regrets. WAV files are much larger than MP3s, but we nuvi 2XX users have no choice but to use Wav if we want to use audio. And yes... there is no way to stop the audio when it has started to play, unless of course, the play/stop button is there.
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

joedoss

Postby joedoss » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:53 pm

zamad wrote:
joedoss wrote:1) The additional customized audio file for each POI will increase the the final size of the .gpi file and if .wav files are used for example for the nuvi2XX series that can't play mp3 the final .gpi will be huge i guess.

Pay Gary Hayman's site a visit to learn about customised POI. bro stratman II pointed me to that site... no regrets. WAV files are much larger than MP3s, but we nuvi 2XX users have no choice but to use Wav if we want to use audio. And yes... there is no way to stop the audio when it has started to play, unless of course, the play/stop button is there.

Thanks bro zamad,
I did come across Gary Hayman's website and got some pointers on creating POI's for the Nuvi, especially creating & using wav files :thumbsup: . I decided not to use audio for my poi's as I will not be able to stop it!!

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:33 am

Bro zamad,

I had compiled your travel guide. Please download from:
download/Putrajaya-Bridge.zip

I had also combined all your 8 xml files.
Putrajaya-bridge.xml

In my opinion, the audio prompt should serve as a brief intro and not more than 2 sentences or 10 seconds in length. It should not be a complete recital of the texts. This is important as a lengthy audio announcement may interfere with navigation guidance. It will also make the travel guide file size manageable.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 am

bro Antyong,

Thanks for compiling the files. I will try it out when I'm in Putrajaya. I'll also study the compiled xml file.

Point taken. I agree that he audio file is a bit long. I gather since it is a tour guide, and I'll be cruising towards the bridge (no junctions, no traffic lights...) a long(er) audio would do no harm.

joedoss

Postby joedoss » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:12 pm

joedoss wrote:
zamad wrote:bro joedoss,

Bro zamad,
Wow I didn't know that bro antyong's version had button 1&2. I could not view it on my nuvi250 :( . What to do..... cheaper model less functions I guess :cry: . Those options are really cool!!. I know I can insert some proximity alerts and customize the Poi to automatically read out and say the POI's using a TTS program like http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php. Only concerns are:

1) The additional customized audio file for each POI will increase the the final size of the .gpi file and if .wav files are used for example for the nuvi2XX series that can't play mp3 the final .gpi will be huge i guess.

Was just wondering why my nuvi250 was not able to view the audio start/stop button:
a) Is it because the audio file is in mp3 format or
b) Nuvi250 software is not capable of having this feature

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:02 pm

joedoss wrote:Was just wondering why my nuvi250 was not able to view the audio start/stop button:
a) Is it because the audio file is in mp3 format or
b) Nuvi250 software is not capable of having this feature
a). The audio file submitted was in WAV format. mp3 is not supported on the nuvi 2xx, but there's a workaround for using wav files.
b). I do not know if the 250 supports TourGuide files :-k Can someone help clarify?...

Return to “Project Room”