tomtom/navigon maps, help needed!

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
akn10red

tomtom/navigon maps, help needed!

Postby akn10red » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:10 am

Hi
This is my first post in this forum and I look forward to a positive responce

I want to convert maps from Garmin data to navigon and/or tomtom (iphone) for Pakistan. I have got the garmin IMG file, the GPX file, KML and the .shp files and I want to make a map for Pakistan. But before trying to do it, I installed the "tomtom Middle_East" to my iphone. Then I converted the POIs of Pakistan from garmin map data to OV2 format and uploaded it to the /private/var/mobile/applications/xxxxxxx/payload/tomtom.app/Middle_East/.....
Then I executed the tomtom application on my iphone and went to "Change settings>maps>POI Types" and there I WAS ABLE to see Pakistan. I checked it! But from there I noticed some big issues that I want to ask.
Based on my little experiment and after looking through different directories of the tomtom application I have a few questions.

1. While browsing the map I was not able to navigate beyond a certain point which is about 768 km away from my location (as mentioned by tomtom - image attached). Is there any file or some "EDITABLE" data which is responsible for this restriction???

2. What if I convert the garmin data to tomtom itinerary and save it to the "itn" folder of tomtom application (which is currently empty)? will it remove that restriction (mentioned in point 1).

3. Which file is responsibe to show the roads etc on the map? (I mean which file is related with those GRAPHICS we see in the map)

4. If simply saving the .itn files to the itn directory doesn't work, is there any method around to play with the original maps? Like in my case is there any way to store the data of Pakistan maps within the Middle_East maps?

5. what file exactly contains the map data in original tomtom iphone maps?

6. In the tomtom.app/Middle_East/ i see about 10 files (cline.dat, cname.dat, cnode.dat, faces, mapinfo.dat, etc) is there any way to edit them?

7. If conversion to tomtom is not possible, is there any way to convert that garmin data to navigon or iGo maps for iphone?

Please help me. I kept searching for like the whole day before asking these questions. There are no maps for Pakistan for both these two great apps and I want to do it myself!

Regards
IMG_0066.PNG
IMG_0067.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: tomtom/navigon maps, help needed!

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:38 am

You cannot convert Garmin Map to Tom Tom and vice versa.

But you can convert the route with a converter. Read this link : http://www.ehow.com/how_6196644_convert ... omtom.html

akn10red

Postby akn10red » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:08 am

well thanks for your reply. What about navigon and iGo then???

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Postby keong8260 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:22 pm

akn10red wrote:well thanks for your reply. What about navigon and iGo then???

Same answer with bro silverbeauty... "You cannot convert Garmin Map to Tom Tom and vice versa.", iGo too!

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:41 pm

I'm sure the Indians across the border were hoping on this too... so for now, the status quo remains parallel & unchanged for either side. :mrgreen:

The Khyber Pass is & remains inevitable then.... :lol:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

Return to “Project Room”