Request for Myanmar map detail

Organize, plan, exchange ideas, debate our mapping project.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about current MFM projects or propose new projects only.
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
deparwork

Re: Request for Myanmar map detail

Postby deparwork » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:16 pm

chinwy wrote:http://downloads.cloudmade.com/asia/south-eastern_asia/myanmar#downloads_breadcrumbs

try this link if you are looking for free Myanmar maps but be prepared to do some elbow grease work.

Locate the file "Myanmar.osm.bz2" download and unpack the file. You will get a "gmapsupp.img" file. This file if you are familial with Garmin machines is the file need containing all of Myanmar data. Move it to the proper directory and you are ready. Just remember to take the necessary precautions... or you will brick your gps! Read the FORUM FAQ if you are lost at this point.

This file will not load directly into your PC's Garmin supported program without more work. eg the MapSource program where you can view the map. You are not entirely lost here as there is an alternative program GPSMapEdit where you can open and view the file. Select the file to open and set the View/Zoom Levels/Level 0 for maximum detail.

This is a crash course into mapping internals. Have fun!...

i downloaded your file myanmar.osm.bz2 but it's not a img map file, its a osm format, i don't know what to do?i also downloaded gpsmapedit too, but it doesn't work. can u show me the way again, pls, thanks..i am still finding the maps and creating myanmar cities from google maps, it still doesn't work, i have lots of program already, i still can't find the way to it. :(

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:58 am

The file you have downloaded should be myanmar.img.zip (2M) it has a Garmin icon (Blue triangle). You will be able to load it directly into your GPS and the files will be there.

What programs do you intend to use to open this file? IF you download the correct file (given above) you can open it with GPSMapedit with no issues.

If you purchase the licence GPSmapedit, you can overlay Google map onto your tracks and work on filling up the missing bits more accurately. Offsets may be necessary (easily done if you have onthe ground tracks made with your GPS. If you are new in mapping, try and read up some of our older postings on mapping and I'll hopefully be able to remember enough to give you some guide else some of the snr here will be able to assist. Been a very long time since I work on these programs.

To move it into MapSource will be another hurdle to cross. Not to difficult. Let me know if you need more help.

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:05 am

A note of respect to the the data you obtain and change from the OS Map owners. Please respect their copyright. We are ardent in what we do here and strongly belief in rights own be the various mapping groups.

Return to “Project Room”